• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

irs in a belvedere ideas

4dr4ever

Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
So looking at the stuff I'm buying for my belvedere. I've tried my best to research the cv axles and the center section the 07 charger uses and from everything I can figure out they have a 30 spline axle shaft. I'm thinking if that is in fact a 30 spline and maybe the same as the 30 spline an 8 3/4 center section uses maybe I can use a cut down 8 3/4 housing mounted to the car and have interchangeable gear sets for when I want to street drive the car or race it. Any opinions?

I dont know what the irs has for spline count, but I would love to see it done.

I dont know what the irs has for spline count, but I would love to see it done.
From reading around the SRT forums it might be a 30 spline. so hopefully it is I'll know this weekend and try and get some measurements. I think it would be pretty bad. wouldn't be to hard to add a tone ring to the 8 3/4 center section would just need to get one cut out of a high quality steel by a lazer/water jet company.

How about just putting in the whole irs?

How about just putting in the whole irs?
would be easier but would be nice to have the option of having a nice highway gear(like 3.23's) to a nice set of 4.56's for when I feel like flogging it at an autocross or drag strip.

I might have to take some measurements off the wifes 06 Charger and see how easy the rear subframe would mount up! Would be pretty cool having a totally idependant rear suspension on my 69 Daytona clone!

I think you would have a difficult time making the 8.75 center section work with the IRS system. You would have to have seals put in for the CV shafts to seal against and also find a way to get the c clips to lock into in the diff. Those would be very big difficulties and lots of custom machining. I think you could just have two irs diff's set up the way you want and swap those out if you wanted and be easier and cheaper.

I dont think irs uses a c clip in the carrier.

I think you would have a difficult time making the 8.75 center section work with the IRS system. You would have to have seals put in for the CV shafts to seal against and also find a way to get the c clips to lock into in the diff. Those would be very big difficulties and lots of custom machining. I think you could just have two irs diff's set up the way you want and swap those out if you wanted and be easier and cheaper.
you know very little about the 8.75 center section.

greenmonsta I think it would be a matter of trimming the subframe down to be able to weld it inbetween the frame rails.

Personally I would not weld it in I would make brackets and bolt it in! Much easier to work on if you have to service a part on it, I can roll it on the lift and bust 4 bolts off remove shaft and walla out she comes (I don't run E-brakes!)

Personally I would not weld it in I would make brackets and bolt it in! Much easier to work on if you have to service a part on it, I can roll it on the lift and bust 4 bolts off remove shaft and walla out she comes (I don't run E-brakes!)
you'd have to do some frame modification to make the subframe just bolt in.

arn't ebrakes required in most states due to inspections?

I have put a 440 into a 98 Dakota R/T in less than a week and it looked factory I am ASE/I-CAR cert. and I like fab work!:laughing7: Also we don't have inspections. I have never ever used a parking brake even in manuals cars.

you know very little about the 8.75 center section.

Its a pretty standard 3rd member. I know it doesnt have C-clips. CV shafts have a circlip on the inner spline to hold them into the irs housing. Without those the cv shaft would want to pull out of the 3rd member and pull out of the splines. Irs units are similar to ifs 4wd units in many ways and I have worked on quite a few of those.

Oh and the 8.75 rear end is a semi float axle which uses a 5 bolt flange to hold the axle shafts in. The cast iron third member is a removable unit from the welded stamped steel case. It was available in 3 variations of case, 741, 742, and 489 cases which vary in bearings and pinion thickness. The available sure grip units came in a clutch and cone setup and with proper bearings can be fit into either case but races are different sizes. The drivers side axle shaft has a adjusting nut to set bearing pre-load and axle widths vary with models. They were available in many different vehicles from A, B and E bodies as well as trucks and vans up until the late 70s.

Now, try not to be an *** next time.

5.7hemi said:
I dont think irs uses a c clip in the carrier.

Sorry, I meant circlip, the little hardened steel ring in a machined groove on the inner spline of the cv axle shaft. They are there to hold the inner spline in the housing besides mechanically constraining the axle shaft so it can't come all the way out.

Ha, I learned something new! I tell ya, I'm always getting "schooled", ie, educated.

Circlips are pretty simple most of the time they sieze in and don't operate. The 8 3/4 would need plates machined for the housing to hold seals for the axles a pretty small amount of machining

First of all I don't want the IRS any where near my Belvedere or me for that matter :nono:

Trying to redesign the 8.75" center section to accept stub axles might be a can of worms you don't want to open. In principle it's easy but in my opinion there is plenty to do just getting the independent suspension working properly. You will also need to redesign the drive shaft if the location of the rear yoke is in line with the tail shaft. U joints don't like to be without an angle so you may end up with rag joints or some other type of coupling.

First of all I don't want the IRS any where near my Belvedere or me for that matter :nono:

Trying to redesign the 8.75" center section to accept stub axles might be a can of worms you don't want to open. In principle it's easy but in my opinion there is plenty to do just getting the independent suspension working properly. You will also need to redesign the drive shaft if the location of the rear yoke is in line with the tail shaft. U joints don't like to be without an angle so you may end up with rag joints or some other type of coupling.

There is a time and a place for an IRS setup and usually reserved for those pulling track duty running auto cross or a pro touring car. On a stock driver or something to hit cruise night its only there to impress somebody on ingenuity. I think the best setup for even a mildly track driven B-body would be an alter-k-tion up front with coil overs and a triangluated 4-link out back with coil overs. That would do wonders for handling but for most of us is not necessary. Myself I'll be sticking with the stock front suspension and eventually building my own 4-link for the rear.

There is a time and a place for an IRS setup and usually reserved for those pulling track duty running auto cross or a pro touring car. On a stock driver or something to hit cruise night its only there to impress somebody on ingenuity. I think the best setup for even a mildly track driven B-body would be an alter-k-tion up front with coil overs and a triangluated 4-link out back with coil overs. That would do wonders for handling but for most of us is not necessary. Myself I'll be sticking with the stock front suspension and eventually building my own 4-link for the rear.

Sounds very realistic to me!

I'm using a factory charger rag joint driveshaft. just made sense since I'm changing to these parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back