• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is A P3690560 Ignition coil/P2444641 Resistor with a Gold ECU Box A Good Combo?

w.Hudson

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
I have a new Mopar Performance chrome ignition coil P3690560 with the proper resistor P2444641 that I may use with a Gold ECU on my Dart.

Does anyone run this set up ?

Any suggestions ?

This car sees both street and track action

Thanks in advance
1004FDA4-B6AD-4A84-85D9-9879154D4DEE.png

Is @rat bastid here, or only on the A side? He's familiar with the gold boxes. They are race only as I understand it.
I used one for a while. I was disappointed, but that was probably cause I wasn't using the right coil or ballast resistor. My fault.

Long ago I ran a Gold and a Chrome box with a nice race distributor in a small block. It was good but I think that I ran a big yellow Accel Super Coil. Probably not the
best choice.

The best ECU that I ever ran was one off of a cop car. I believe the part number ended in 357. It ran smooth at high rpm's and never failed to start.

I have an older orange box that is marked "MADE IN USA" and it is still good.

I may just sell these and go with something else.

Long ago I ran a Gold and a Chrome box with a nice race distributor in a small block. It was good but I think that I ran a big yellow Accel Super Coil. Probably not the
best choice.

The best ECU that I ever ran was one off of a cop car. I believe the part number ended in 357. It ran smooth at high rpm's and never failed to start.

I have an older orange box that is marked "MADE IN USA" and it is still good.

I may just sell these and go with something else.
I've been running a Chrome ECU box P4120534 and the big Yellow Accel Super 140001 Coil for well over 25 yrs. with out any RPM problems whatsoever .. be sure to found a new old school 140001 Accel that says MADE IN USA on the side... I found out the new ones are China junk

I have a new Mopar Performance chrome ignition coil P3690560 with the proper resistor P2444641 that I may use with a Gold ECU on my Dart.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advanceView attachment 1433452
What are you trying to achieve? Does what you have now not function? Just remember that the installed components must be compatible with existing ECU. By installing the mentioned parts, you will not suddenly gain 50 hp....in spite of what you've been told.....just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

(from an old HalifaxHop post)
ecu III.png

OK a quick skim here. The gold box is designed to go with the.25 ohm resistor for DRAG RACING where it is shut down between runs and will cool off. If you run it on the street with that combo it needs a higher resistor which will keep the heat down but will lose RPM's in a nutshel. I would find a box for the street by the RPM you will be running and save that box, very hard to find now. Performance will be about the same just not good to 10,000 rpm.

Any suggestions ?

Any suggestions ?

The Gold box is not going to work on the street without excessive heating at low RPM. I tried it once and had problems. Chrome box is a better choice for street / strip.

Auto Transport Service
Back