• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it easy - seat belt dying?

I'd figure it would be easier and longer lasting to replace your webbing. Many seatbelt repair or web stores offer this service. Careful of Seatbeltplanet. I got ripped pretty good by them on universal seatbelts.

I'd figure it would be easier and longer lasting to replace your webbing. Many seatbelt repair or web stores offer this service. Careful of Seatbeltplanet. I got ripped pretty good by them on universal seatbelts.

Thanks for your reply and heads up.

These are new NOS light tan. I don’t think replacement webbings are DOT approved which is why I asked about going this route.

Any other input is appreciated

I've been needing to do this to some seatbelts too. From what i've read, you want to use an acid dye for nylon. You can buy it on Amazon and probably other places. Jacquard is a brand that's supposed to be pretty good. I would do a search of the web and youtube for some tutorials. Get the seatbelts super clean before dying.

https://www.amazon.com/Jacquard-Acid-Dyes-Ounce-Jet-Black/dp/B003IGGZNO/

I agree with #4 about making sure they are clean. I put mine in laundry bags and washed them. The first question is if they are in good shape. If they are, keep them and use them. Mine are black but had faded so re-dyed them with Ritz for synthetics. Worked great. I tried to save the factory labels but that's not always possible. Richard O'Shields has the reproduction factory date coded labels if you need them.

DSC_9052.jpeg
DSC_9055.jpeg

Before:
DSC_9038.jpeg

I labeled them so I know where they go.
DSC_9071.jpeg

After:
DSC_9071.jpeg

DON'T PAINT THEM you'll be sorry. I know people who did that and it will come off.
Then I cleaned and painted the buckles.

DSC_9216.jpeg

DSC_9219.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back