• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it just me or were the sportscasters at superbowl biased to the Rams?

monaco66coupe

Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
I will say up front that I don't pay attention to football,as I am a recovering viewer in the 80's,
so last night I was watching the commercials mainly. So I had no favorite in the game.but it seemed to me that as the last minutes waned that the penalties for questionable things against the bengals that had gone on frequently thru the last half by both teams suddenly being called. all on the Bengals.

I felt as if the result was being guided somehow, just my imagination? anyone know what the Vegas spread was, by chance?
and as it ended the network was definitely pro Rams,,,very tacky!

I thought the "half the distance" call against the Bengals on the rams last scoring drive was a payback for the no call face mask on the Bengals early TD play.

Not the first time I've seen them try to "make up" for bad or missed calls like that, especially if the first instance changes the momentum.

I will say up front that I don't pay attention to football,as I am a recovering viewer in the 80's,
so last night I was watching the commercials mainly. So I had no favorite in the game.but it seemed to me that as the last minutes waned that the penalties for questionable things against the bengals that had gone on frequently thru the last half by both teams suddenly being called. all on the Bengals.

I felt as if the result was being guided somehow, just my imagination? anyone know what the Vegas spread was, by chance?
and as it ended the network was definitely pro Rams,,,very tacky!
Bengals made the $$ it was Rams +4 that missed extra point by the Rams cost some people a lot of money. :drinks:

It wasn't just you. Granted, the Bengals (not Bangles) got the benefit of a couple no calls, like the blatant face mask by a Bengal defender in the first half. The second the play was over I told my friend tbere would be a holding call against the Bengals. Didn't see anything but I said there would be a penalty. To our surprise there actually was a violation against Cincy but it didn't get called.
The zebras were pretty much allowing murder on the field then in the 4th quarter they started calling non penalties against Cincy so the defenders were afraid of touching anyone.
It wasnt just us, a local TV sports director talked about it in an editorial segment.
As for the talking heads in the booth, Michaels died 20 years ago, he wasn't told. Collinsworth played in Cincy his entire career and was trying too hard not to show favoritism towards them.
It's natural. Some can do ot, others cant.

Last edited:
I was surprised that face helmet wasn't called. One would think if the ref would have done his job that time they wouldn't feel like they had to even the score.
The momentum could have swung with any other play. The refs must have been trained at Oklahoma in the 80's! HAHAHA

Chris Collinsworth played for the last Bengals team to make it to the SB. I bet he would have liked the Bengals to win. Or maybe not!:D

I admit I did tune in to see how Zac Taylor was as a head coach. Being 2005-06 big 12 player of the year at Nebraska.. now coaching only in his third year, I have a feeling the success is only beginning with him as coach.

Glad im not the only one who saw it.

Refs were letting them play...most of the game.

When it looked like the Bengals were gonna win it.
They started calling penalties...most against Cincy. How convenient.

Ive said it elsewhere.

The NFL / Refs wanted LA to win in there multi billion dollar HOME stadium.
And no one can convince me otherwise.

Burrow gets an O line in front of him worth a chit. He is going to be scary good.

7 sacks in the game is tough for any quarterback to overcome.

Defense on both sides was tough.

LA clearly had more "name brand" players, esp on D.

I do like the functionality of that stadium.

Translucent roof, and open sides-

Light, protection from rain, and a cross breeze.

That face mask wasn't called because neither the line judge or umpire could see it. It would have been called if it was at a different angle. Cincinnati D was tired at the end of that last LA drive thus all the clutching and grabbing and flurry of calls. I thought it was a good game and I'm glad Stafford finally won a super bowl after years of being the good soldier in Detroit.

I thought there was a huge bias, as the whole fourth quarter the sports guys spoke only sparingly of the Play of the Bengals. the silence speaks volumes as the old saying goes.

NO
I think they were biased towards the Bengals
Chris Collinsworth is a former Bengal, homer
(I'm not a big fan of Chris, 'Sir Talks A lot'))
Al Michales just goes with the flow, on every broadcast
he's on who's ever side is leading, at the time seemingly,
he also lives in LA area too...
(Pacific Palisades/Riviera CC IIRC)

Both commentators were;
Constantly stroking Joe Burrow, talking about Joe, Joe this, Joe that
where he lived where he came from where he started school & finished
"especially in the 1st half & 3rd qtr. still...
When Cinn. still had a lead & Nixon could still run the damn ball
& LA couldn't, at all, had like 30 yards total rushing before that last drive...
& Stafford has 1/2 of them...
I could here it, 2 rooms away...

congrats to the LA Rams, Super Bowl LVI Champions

I was cooking, I was in & out of the kitchen most of the game
what I saw of the game wasn't too bad of a game
hardly any penalties at all until the last couple min.s
only 4 penalties between both teams
then like 2 by each team in that last LA Rams drive
IMHFO the Cinn. Bengal's looked like they were going to
pull off another one
until they didn't...
sealed their fate when they didn't make that last 4th & 1

(Cinn.) they live & die by that sword, they did it all of the playoffs

I watched the Puppy Bowl XVIII for 1/2 time entertainment :bananadance:

Last edited:
Glad im not the only one who saw it.

The NFL / Refs wanted LA to win in there multi billion dollar HOME stadium.

Nailed it on both counts. As Slap-Stick noted, Collinsworth was so busy trying to not be a Cincy Homer that he became a Rams Homer by default.

And for the record I have no dog in this fight.

I did notice a bit of NO TOUCH! attitude that last 1:40 or so.Half way to end zone was also excessive maybe?

LA clearly had more "name brand" players, esp on D.

I do like the functionality of that stadium.

Translucent roof, and open sides-

Light, protection from rain, and a cross breeze.

Rain?! In So. California?! :D

hYzM4LTQ1ZGQtYmFhOS0yZTBhY2EyNDliOTIuZ2lmIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.gif

I’ll just add that I was pulling for Cincy to make it happen - not disappointed the Rams won because of several - esp Stafford that wholly deserved a ring from his tours of duty in the hell hole franchise named the Lions. But in the end I think the Bengals completely blew their chance of victory by that utterly horseshit play call on 4th and 1. That was the game - why they didn’t run the ball will haunt them for the next 30:years. Stunning error to me especially in the game of all games. It cost them the Super Bowl.

Was at Outback last night and could see the captions on TV about "make up calls".

$6 margarita with an "extra shot" for $1 more.
Who doesn't spend that $1?

I’ll just add that I was pulling for Cincy to make it happen - not disappointed the Rams won because of several - esp Stafford that wholly deserved a ring from his tours of duty in the hell hole franchise named the Lions. But in the end I think the Bengals completely blew their chance of victory by that utterly horseshit play call on 4th and 1. That was the game - why they didn’t run the ball will haunt them for the next 30:years. Stunning error to me especially in the game of all games. It cost them the Super Bowl.
Stafford didn't deserve a ring from his days in Detroit because they weren't good enough to win enough games to get to the SB.
Yep, it was a dumb call but I don't think it was a mistake. Reminiscent of the Chiefs. First ajd goal onside the five and dont attack the end zone. Then on 4th down inside the 1 they pass behind the line of scrimmage instead of kicking the field goal.

Auto Transport Service
Back