• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the 68 Coronet trunk lock support the same as the 68 Plymouths or Chargers?

Scott19_72

Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
Hi All!

I've got my 68 Coronet in for metal work and my sheet metal guy informs me one of the parts that is long gone from my car's prior life as a drag racer is the mount that holds up the trunk striker bar. As I'm sure you know if you're reading this, the 68 trunk setup is unique in that the lock mechanism is up on the deck lid and the striker bar is mounted to a support in the trunk.

I would like to know if anyone here has had to repair or replace this metal support, and what they used. I can't build a copy of the old one (my first thought), it's long gone. I do see Plymouth aftermarket mounts available through AMD. I also notice the aftermarket mount for the Chargers looks very similar but they have a recess for the lock mechanism. I'm mostly worried about getting the height & angle right so the trunk will close correctly.

??? #1) If you recently rebuilt one of these, what did you do and how did it come out?

??? #2) Can the Plymouth mount be easily adjusted for Coronet use (it looks like it's angled a little but otherwise close)?

??? #3) Can the Charger mount be used if I close up the hole for the lock mechanism and mount the striker to the top?

I would put a "wanted" ad in the classified, not a part that is high demand so I bet someone could cut one out of a parts car for you.

The support has to be close to the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back