• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the Transmission Pan Painted?

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
The background: Last weekend I decided to clean the exhaust on my GTX of as much of the burnt oil as I could after finally addressing the rear main seal leak. While not perfectly clean, I am satisfied that I got it mostly there. My cleaner of choice was Easy Off.
IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

The question: I noticed that the transmission pan on the car is spotted, as you can see in the below picture. My suspicion is that happened where the Easy Off may have gotten on the pan (not certain about that though). Is the transmission pan on a 727 (or any other one for that matter) typically painted or is it bare metal? If painted, what color is typically used; is there a rattle can color that works? The spottiness on the pan doesn't bother me all that much, particularly since I don't know for certain that the leak is 100 percent fixed so I may end up under the car again anyway. But I may consider putting some paint on the pan if appropriate to protect it better against the elements. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_0635.JPG

Agree, bare metal. Your exhaust looks good by the way. Nice job cleaning! ruffcut

Auto Transport Service
Back