• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a Carter fuel pump?

musekmkr

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
I'm trying to locate the correct pump to carb fuel line and took a pic of the pump to see how the lines routed. This pump doesn't seem all that common. I found a couple of exact examples online but I can't seem to find a model number. Now I'm just curious...

F5Gm15psN1GmEgd-_iesvkMsngOvFAhB5DrhvXfT1asCrdfT7E2ColGdpY4GScGNEEKLYsgSJw2A-ZWeXBq5gkKruc=w2400.jpg

Cool thanks. Any chance you know what model or series? Its on the 383 in my 70 Road Runner. Again, it just piqued my curiosity since I noticed it was quite different from replacements I've seen.

Sorry, I dont. Besides the carter name, there may be a part number or model number on the bottom. I really don't know, one way or the other.

look on the flange after you clean off grease. the model number aka part # should be stamped eg: 4496. Take that number and Google it and you should be able to figure out exact fit etc. It looks like a Carter fp
Duh on my part take that part # and do a search on rock auto. might be easier that way

Last edited:
They were long since into "crimp style" pumps by then, and long done with "rebuildable" style pumps... But if this was replaced in the 1970s or 1980s, it could have been conceivable....

The number is on the flange by the mounting gasket... You may need to clean it well to see the number....

Once you have the number off the pump, I can tell you definitively what it is...... Yours, Craig...

I was starting to get that idea. Most examples I did find were from earlier cars. I'll pull some numbers tomorrow. Thanks!

Back in the day my 69 roadrunner 383 came with a crimp style pump, it was common practice to replace those with a street hemi fuel pump for more volume/ pressure. I remember doing that mod and the Hemi pump I got was the rebuildable style like you have in the picture.

Yep. I have one of the repro Carter "hemi" pumps from Mancini (the famous M6903)
on my 440 right now.
It seems to be made well, although according to my el cheapo Mr. Gasket gauge,
it doesn't put out the max. pressure advertised for some reason?
https://www.manciniracing.com/cabheen5psis.html
carter-mechanical-fuel-pump-15.gif

If you read the whole topic you would note that new ones from the factory are assembled badly and have incorrect parts plus huge spring pressures. That is why i just sent in a new one. It also was assembled badly from the factory I was told by the rebuilder.

Last edited:
That pump can be an AC type or Airtek. Especially if it has a center screw or 2 to drop the bottom cap.

If you ever opened the 4862 or 6903 and compared it to the hemi 4024 or some of the other early carter pumps with the hemi type main body, you would realize that the ad about those pumps is just fictional hype. There are no "larger" inlet valves etc. In fact the 4862/6903 have smaller chambers which mean less volume per stroke. But they do have higher pressure, because of that smaller chamber under the diaphragm, besides spring choice. At higher RPM at the strip, the 4862 stiffer spring can still deliver that stroke volume fast enough before the cam stroke starts pulling the diaphragm up again.

I don't think the pump I have is a Carter. I was unable to find any part numbers on it (at least with it still attached to the car). The only stamping I could find was on the bottom of the bowl that says "Made in the USA". It may just be a generic aftermarket part that replaced the factory pump at some point. I have only found a few examples online of the exact pump and none of them seem to include the manufacturer or a part number. It most certainly is not the same as any Carters I've found online that would have come equipped with the 383. According to Carter's website, they 383's only option (for a Carter anyways) is a M4589, which includes a hose end for both inlet and outlet. Most examples I see on engines in online images use the M4845 but that appears to be a high flowing pump for a 440. I order a new pump to carb fuel line kit from Inline tube and the short steel line they give you for the pump to filter has one hose end and one threaded end, which wouldn't work with the M4589 but would with the M4845. Does anyone know if there is a formed rubber hose that is used to connect the M4589 to the filter? It seems a standard hose may kink.

Any part # would be stamped on mounting flange. Its usually covered in grease n dirt. a good cleaning will show the numbers. First thing if someone brought in a pump was to wipe the grease off of the mounting flange to find part#. This is an old school pump, it would either have a metal tag attached to one of the bowl screws, more often its stamped on the flange. Its either a Carter, Airtex or AC Delco pump. All 3 made pumps back in the day. I could not tell you how many I sold as as kid working a parts counter in a machine shop 30 plus yrs ago.

Mine puts out 11 psi at idle!
I ended up putting in a regulator with a return line. Now it idles at 3 psi but rises to 7 at WOT.
I'm starting to understand some folks' desire to have an electric pump, I really am.

Ok so perhaps I am blind. One of the eBay listings I found (that appears to be the exact pump I have) is listed as an Ampco 40782. I don't think this company makes automotive fuel pumps anymore so it was probably replaced many years ago. Anyway, I was really just curious and didn't want to replace anything that wasn't original to the car. Since this doesn't seem to be the case here, I may just replace it with a Carter M4589.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back