• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a good deal for a swap?

Rakishi64

Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking to get some advice. I have a 1972 with a mild 340. 340 has a 268 Lunati cam, x heads, and summit headers. Runs great. A guy near me is offering a 2006 5.7 Hemi and trans for 1200.

This is a complete power train motor, trans, torc converter, PCM/ECM and wiring harness, with electronic gas pedal and receiver. It is currently set up in a Milodon oil pan with a custom oil pick up set to go direct into a B-Body Mopar. It also comes with the motor mounts to bolt direct to the K member of any B Body(unsure of 72 fitment) and an oil filter replicator kit.

Any opinions on the deal? I understand I may spend an additional 3-5k to swap myself and I plan to use my 727 trans.

Screenshot_20210708-211942.jpg

Last edited:
There is no denying the efficiency of a new Hemi. Power, mileage and clean running compared to the older engines. One thing that holds me back is that I think that I'd miss the rougher idle and raspy exhaust tone you get with a classic engine. To me, that is part of the appeal of a classic compared to a new car.
Maybe I have not been properly informed but I suspect that if you use a fat cam in a 3G Hemi, you lose a lot of the modern benefits of drivability and mileage.

Man how do you guys find these so cheap ?! down here those go for 2800-3600 and your missing a few things

my plan is to eventually do a hemi but keep in mind that if your cars running it’ll be down for some time.
What’s wrong with your 340? What will you do with the 340? why the hemi swap ?

Ultimately I have not done one but I did two ls swaps and it was the best thing I ever did to my camaro so if it’s even close as far as drive ability of an ls swap. I’d do it

I think it’s a good deal!

Just go buy a newer doge that’s turn key if you want a G3 hemi power plant.

I'd jump on that in a minute, put a 6.4 cam, springs and headers and it will be awesome.

BUY IT!!! (unless it has like 500,000 miles)..

Just go buy a newer doge that’s turn key if you want a G3 hemi power plant.

have you driven a vintage car with a modern engine swap ?

Buy the engine, keep your 340, I think it's worth more.

Hell no, not interested. Vintage car, vintage power!

okay no worries I respect that. Nothing sounds mean like a tuned up carb on idle but those new motors on an pre 80s mopar will give you the best of both worlds.

don’t knock it until you try it because you never know could be the best thing you’ve ever driven

Man how do you guys find these so cheap ?! down here those go for 2800-3600 and your missing a few things

my plan is to eventually do a hemi but keep in mind that if your cars running it’ll be down for some time.
What’s wrong with your 340? What will you do with the 340? why the hemi swap ?

Ultimately I have not done one but I did two ls swaps and it was the best thing I ever did to my camaro so if it’s even close as far as drive ability of an ls swap. I’d do it

I think it’s a good deal!

To be honest, nothing is wrong with the 340. It runs and sounds great, but I did plan on putting an efi and torqstorm supercharger on it to get a bit more efficiency and power in the future without breaking the bank.

Then I started comparing cost of just getting a g3 hemi to the money I'd put in the small block and that's when I ran across this deal.

If I got the hemi, not sure if I'd sell the 340 to cover my costs or keep it. It's not numbers matching but it's a good engine.

A good set of 340 X heads would be worth 1200 to some people.

I’d be all over that. EFI, can’t beat it. Starts right up, always adjusts for better drivability. But ya need to consider other costs, my best guess at today’s prices would be 3k using your trans. Add another 4K if ya use the Nag1. If your not capable or have the tools needed for tunnel work so you can use the Nag1, stick with the trans you have. You’ll need a different flywheel to use a 727 or 904. You’ll need to go through the harness of the donor or by a harness already done. The computer will need to be sent out to be programmed and get rid of security stuff inside of it. You’ll need headers. There’s a lot of work, $$$$ and time to do this. I say, get to wrenching.

The oil pan and mounts is nearly $750 just there...
I'm looking for 2009+ but that's a good deal on an early engine and nag1 no doubt

I would recommend that if you are going to do this add an overdrive trans

to do all this work and still have three gears ?! I don’t know I’ve don’t two swaps

1. ls with t56. Converted auto 3 speed to t56 with six speeds... love to fly at 80-90 mph on vintage cars on highway

2. l76 with 6l80 six speed auto. Ditched 3 speed th400

Once you have the efi you can drive it daily but not sure about doing that with a three speed

The oil pan and mounts is nearly $750 just there...
I'm looking for 2009+ but that's a good deal on an early engine and nag1 no doubt
Prices will come down eventually
The manifolds used to be 2k but now I heard that some of the keep manifolds fit if you don’t want headers

Edelbrock has a new series called Proflow 4+. It is an engine management system for late model engines. They have one for the LS, Coyote and the Gen 3 hemis. No cutting harnesses, flashing ECU's etc. Sell the OEM stuff to help pay for the Edelbrock system. Done.

Edelbrock has a new series called Proflow 4+. It is an engine management system for late model engines. They have one for the LS, Coyote and the Gen 3 hemis. No cutting harnesses, flashing ECU's etc. Sell the OEM stuff to help pay for the Edelbrock system. Done.
I’m sure it’s a good system and I looked into it but I don’t believe any aftermarket efi can match the oem efi, the parts available over the counter alone is a huge advantage plus it’s pricey almost the same or more by the time your done

If I was doing this there's no way I'd be putting the 727 behind it, your throwing out most of the efficiency right there. I see both sides of the argument here, I too like the classic sound of a BB but as soon as you start moving towards efficiency, reliability, driveability, etc a modern drivetrain is an absolute no brainer. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

So have you checked on what it would cost to do the swap. What will have to move to put the new motor in. Ask if any one has done this and what they went through to put the Hemi in your car. What is the time line for the start to finish project. Price sound's like a good deal with all your getting. Keep us informed and how it goes if you take the task on. Interested in the project.

Auto Transport Service
Back