• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Hobby already expensive to make it MORE EXPENSIVE ?

Nacho-RT74

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:03 PM
Reaction score
Isn't this Hobby already expensive to make it MORE EXPENSIVE ?

Hi guys... just wonder about what I told on subject.

Mopars are already expensive to make it already more expensive on bids or buyers competition etc... BETWEEN US

I have heard and known some of the NOS panels I have been trying to sold can reach maybe over $1000. Not everyone but maybe some of them could be. Honestly I'm more interested on sell them faster then get high dollars by piece. Beside that, these are available now as repro. Has been told not very good repros though, but some of the nicer panels I have aren't either totaly perfect. I simply can't get sell them in more than the repro market ( which is already overpriced ) If I want them sold. In fact, allmost everyone will be sold in $600 rate, with some exceptions. That's less than the repro piece.

I'm a little bit tired of look at front valence ( for example ) to Phords and Chebbis in $80 to $150 rate for a while we have to pay over $200 for a piece who requires SAME TOOLING AND MATERIAL than the "cheapy" car brands, being in some cases SAME REPRO MANUFACTURER!!!!

is the same about somebody trying to find some piece for any reason and expecting a help from ppl on same hobby with same brand tired of same S**T with overpricing everything.

Thanks God, some ppl are exceptions, and I can talk about buddies let it go parts just paying the shipping. Thats has been nice experiences I have had, and I have done the same.

I'm in a deal right now that also thanks God, looks to be going still on the right way, but at some moment could got twisted, and not really by the seller. That's why I thought on post this.

Just think about that guys. If we don't help each other, we won't get help from anybody else.

Just request a little bit of respect.

I always try to help people out when I sell stuff. The way I see it if I am not gonna use it, what good is it really to me? It's not like I'm gonna get rich sellin parts. But some guys act like they'd wither up and die before they sold something for a reasonable price. Those are they types always tryin to beat somebody out of somethin for nothin, only to turn around and have to have three or more times what they paid for it when they sell it. I don't want anybody to give anything away.......just reasonable is all. I've gotten some good help from right here on this forum already from a number of people. I try not to deal with buttholes.

Last edited:
I think there's a difference between hobbyists and business people. I've given away lots of parts over the years, and a bunch just recently, because they are of no use to me. They were taking up space that I could use for other things and the price I would sell them for really wouldn't be worth the time and trouble to sell them. Business people don't look at their inventory that way. They aren't looking for a quick sell to get something out of the garage. They are willing to take some time to sell an item for a much higher price because they are waiting for that buyer who's just got to have something right away and are willing to pay whatever it takes to get it. I think most parts from hobbyists go to other hobbyists, while parts from businesses go to other businesses, i.e., professional restoration shops, so the prices are higher.

if it goes on a dodge or plymouth, expect it. these people all know they can cash in on the pentestar, and they do. whenever i sell stuff i am trying to hook people up and only get what i have into it and not fund a hemi coronet project or pay a years mortgage. its too bad these greedy people suck the fun out of it for those that dont have pockets a mile deep. thats my $0.02

I see where you're coming from, and it sucks.

But, this is the big issue; Mopars are not a big part of the hobby. Chrysler was always the smallest of the big three, and production numbers were never big compared to GM & Ford. This translates into the aftermarket. What I have found though is that people in the Mopar hobby are much more willing to work with others just to keep the hobby going. I've met a few locally since my son bought his Satellite.

Too many people are shysters & gougers trying to ring every last cent out of every piece, Satman72 said it very well, these cars aren't & weren't as popular back when they were produced, they are far lower production numbers, by a big differences, especially compared to Mustangs & even Camaros, Chevelles for example were in produced in the Millions, not 10's of thousands or even less in many cases like Mopars... People need to remember, Just because it's rare or low production #'s, doesn't mean it's worth a bunch more money, a rusty old part, is still a rusty old part, some people don't get that, there's a reason why there is only a few Slant 6 Chargers, they didn't sell, does that make them worth a ton of money ?? Hell NO, price & pay for the parts fair & accordingly, be the better person, it helps everyone out, both sides of the sale/hobby... And don't be a damn cheap ***, like so many people seem to be either, it's not 1972 anymore, the cost of shipping & cost of doing business has gone way up, it's 2012, prices have gone up, a part you could get for next to nothen', cost $50-$500 now, you can't get everything cheap anymore, like you can with the mass produced & very popular Chevy or even Ford parts/cars, especially dealing with Mopar stuff...

Right Budnicks. I'm a cheap ***......but only by necessity. I always ask if somebody will take less......but it's because I have to. I am on social security and my income for a hobby is extremely limited. So, yall take notice. If I ask if you'll take less, don't get offended, you can always say no.

Last edited:
Rusty, your not cheap...LOL... I say, Asking someone to split the shipping costs, is also a great idea for some of us, well lets say, More frugal minded shoppers...LOL... helps both parties sellers & buyers.... I'm pretty broke too, little to no Golf business, bad economy & all, no construction work to speak of or any other work & no Social Security yet, too young @ 53 y/o... Believe me, I can relate, I just wait until I can afford to buy something, or try to trade or barter instead, so I can still build a great project, with out compromise, it just takes more time, time is free & sometimes you just have to think outside of the normal box...

I hear you OP. Too much greed in the hobby and it compounds upon itself. We have a good group of mopar guys locally and nobody ever gets beat up on price. Lots of trading and helping each other out.

We have a good group of mopar guys locally and nobody ever gets beat up on price. Lots of trading and helping each other out.

well, allmost is not in that way on a deal I'm getting for a piece I was getting offered, and not because the seller. Thats why I posted this.

The rest were just examples about what is not fair talking about prices of parts against the rest of the brands, and if we already have to live with that headache, why to make it harder between us. I'm sure is not the 100% of the ppl, but a 10% is enough to make it wrong

I'll agree with the comments made about MoPars being a small population of the classic car hobby. It's really not so much price gouging as it is the cost to have parts made in relatively small quantities.

Althought it wasn't the main reason why to post what I initally posted, I have to go with how the thread is going now:

Honestly I think the high prices for Mopar parts/repros is manufacturers and vendors BullS**t and just an excuse from them to sell expensive.

once again, same tooling and materials than the rest of car makers repros. Piece by piece it doesn't cost more than the rest, is just what manufacturers want to get in total, not by piece.

Perhaps that's true in some cases, perhaps it's not.

Look at it this way.

Let's say I'm a manufacturer. It costs me $20,000 to make a die. Now, I can make and sell 50,000 pieces to Chevy guys. I can sell 2000 to Mopar guys. Now, let's say it costs me $1.00 for the material, and I make $1.00 profit per part.

Chevy part; 20,000 + 50,000+ 50,000=120,000 total cost
divide by 50,000 parts=$2.40 per piece.

Mopar part; 20,000 + 2,000 + 2,000= 24,000 total cost
divide by 2,000 parts= $12.00 per piece.

^^^^ them numbers don't lie...

but it still sux that our parts have to cost more than the rest of the motoring world.

that's the price you pay for MoPar excellence and exclusivity!! lol

So true! When you look at numbers like that though, it a wonder that there are any Mopar hobbyists left! It's a good thing they are great cars!!

In some ways we are our own worst enemy. You don't see as many guys looking to mod or resto-mod Mopars. Seems like there a lot more originality-obsessed folks in the Mopar community who want to buy original parts over re-pops, which further shrinks the market.

any other manufacturers out there getting 3,500 bucks for an NOS grill in the box?

Also have to keep in mind that all the original Mopar tooling and tons of NOS parts were destoried during the 80's bailout. We Mopar folks have to start from scratch on everything being reproduced. Also alot more GM and Ford NOS stuff out there in the world. Not making excuses, just sayin.

- - - Updated - - -

any other manufacturers out there getting 3,500 bucks for an NOS grill in the box?

Just sold an NOS Chevy 73/4 truck grill in the box for 200.00. Was happy with that.:icon_fU:

I've backed out of a deal because once we had established a price, which I wasn't really too happy about, he wanted me to pay an extra $75 on top of shipping to box it up.
Said it was to pay for material and his labor. then thought he was doing me a favor when he dropped it to $50.
It was then I said forget about it, keep the part.

I ended up getting the same part the same day for $100 that he was wanting $650 for.

Well the way I see it being new to this hobby, if we all share our contacts etc we maybe able to keep cost down and beat out the get rich quick people. Lets keep sharing..

Auto Transport Service
Back