• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this oil pan warped?

lochenjons

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
DEB5-B67-C-95-EB-4-C20-84-D4-4-AB4-F227-D889.jpg
Cant tell if the oil pan is supposed to be slightly indented where the bolts go or if it’s supposed to be completely flat. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on this

5-D79-ACA3-916-C-4578-8586-5-E8-C37-D8-F6-BC.jpg

supposed to be flat, it's deformed from over tightening .......use a ball-peen hammer and something flat to straighten them out ........ common on pans and valve covers

Yep, it's warped. I'm dealing with the same thing myself at the moment. I've had decent luck pounding those areas flat and using some RTV silicone on the gaskets.

And not meaning to hijack the thread, but does anyone make "hold downs" to go between the bolts like small block chevies have for valve covers?

For how badly its warped, just get another one. Not worth the time in my opinion to fix. New pans can be had pretty cheap. I think i paid like 30 bucks for a chrome one for my small block

I tried to straighten it out the best I could, I think I did a pretty good job. put some permatex black on the uneven surfaces at the front and rear, put on my superformance gasket. We’ll see what happens next week when I put oil in it and run it.

Worst case scenario I go buy a new pan and gasket.

But I’m feeling confident. Thanks for the feedback.

I hope it works out for you. I always use permatex as well, it's good stuff. I wish they would make those oil pan gaskets out of the same tin material that crushes down like the intake gaskets, them things are bulletproof. Rtv sealant will probably solve your problem provided you extensively cleaned both mating surfaces with brake clean or equivalent. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Dented from over tightening, probably cork gasket. Fix with a backing rod on outside surface, ball peen hammer with flat stock on the inside surface. A few minutes work.

I had the same, straightened it up with a hammer, used a new cork gasket without rtv and sealed with no issues.
Just don't over tighten as well when installing, just keep making rounds with the smallest ratchet you have and 1 hand only.
After you could use a small tq wrench and pull to specs.

For how badly its warped, just get another one. Not worth the time in my opinion to fix. New pans can be had pretty cheap. I think i paid like 30 bucks for a chrome one for my small block
With deals like this one from 440Source that I just installed on my own GTX, a new one sometimes just takes guesswork out of what can be a friggin pain in the *** if discovered later in the car:
http://store.440source.com/1970-71-Hemi-E-Body-6-Quart-Oil-Pan/productinfo/200-1123/
This pan is currently $89. A relative bargain if you ask me - and it's a pleasant surprise in that it's actually beefy steel.
Good, heavy sturdy piece that fit perfectly (thank heavens, because I did install it under the car).
Fits any big block in our b-bodies, is the exact same depth as the stock 4 quart unit and gives 2 more quarts capacity.
Easy to install (obviously, since I did it) - and since it's exactly the same depth as the stock pan, your original pickup will even work with it.

EDIT: Even though the ad says it, I've been reminded that this pan doesn't work with pre-'66 cars. Quoting he ad:
"...fit(s) all 1966-74 "B" bodies and 1970-74 "E" bodies with ANY big block Mopar engine."
Hope that didn't confuse anyone...

Last edited:
Yep, it's warped. I'm dealing with the same thing myself at the moment. I've had decent luck pounding those areas flat and using some RTV silicone on the gaskets.

And not meaning to hijack the thread, but does anyone make "hold downs" to go between the bolts like small block chevies have for valve covers?
The Chevy ones will work.

Not good. Going to get that oil pan mentioned above. You guys know if the superformance gaskets are re-usable? If not do you guys have any recommendations for a good quality gasket?

I've had good luck with felpro. Quality stuff and very reasonably priced.

As a last resort I said F it and got rid of the gasket altogether. What do you know it seems it sealed up nicely ! Except for a small leak of oil coming off one of the rear bolt holes. Going to put a dab of gasket maker on the washer part of the bolt and stick it in and see what happens. I literally had nothing to lose since I had written off this oil pan anyway so this is a win/win

Auto Transport Service
Back