• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Superbird Known?

mrhemi

Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
I was looking through a nearly 40 year old note book of mine from back when I was actively looking for what would be known as "barn finds" today. I came across a note and a VIN for a Superbird. Wondered if this car is known or on anyone's radar. VIN is RM23V0A168749. I may have written the VIN down wrong, or possibly a mis-stamp, as my only notes state 440 4BBL, 4SPD, 32000 miles. Which would make it RM23U0A168749. The original colour was yellow I believe, although it was hard to tell and I never saw the data plate (hood was locked). I do not even recall where it was exactly, but probably was in Michigan or Eastern Ontario as that seems to be where I was searching at the time. Sorry, no photos. I had completely forgot about this until I looked through my old notes.

I popped the vin in google and this came up?? I didn't have time to scroll through the article but maybe info there
"RM23U0A168749"
http://www.superbirdclub.com/Nov-Dec_2010.pdf
You had better luck than I did with the Google search. That is it in that old article. I thought it was yellow, but apparently orange. It was nearly 40 years ago.

Google you know..sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.. I saw where it was an older article but didn't know if it might give you some insight where it might be or a lead on owner??

was that the same article you read to begin with?

I popped the vin in google and this came up?? I didn't have time to scroll through the article but maybe info there
"RM23U0A168749"
http://www.superbirdclub.com/Nov-Dec_2010.pdf

thoroughly enjoyed the stories on that page.
very cool,very awesome,the Petty Torino was a bit of history too.
TY for sharing :thumbsup:

to the Op,you have searched the owners name,yes?
no clue who he sold it to?
At left is Don Charity’s original Vitamin C Orange car from Ontario Canada.
This one is RM23U0A168749. 440 with a 4-speed and a bench interior.

thoroughly enjoyed the stories on that page.
very cool,very awesome,the Petty Torino was a bit of history too.
TY for sharing :thumbsup:

to the Op,you have searched the owners name,yes?
no clue who he sold it to?

I actually saw that car in person back in about 79 or 80. The owner at the time would be in his 80's if he is still with us. I will look into it. I wasn't going to pursue the family if it is known to be in someone else's hands now.

Not sure if your Vin is correct or not but I am the owner of RM23U0A168769; Tor Red 440/4 speed that had right around 32000 miles on her when I bought her in 2001 in St Paul/Lindo Lakes. I found her in the Hemmings Magazine

5EEA3F9C-F086-4003-B948-CB5E5C7AFB23.JPG

BTW - the car did come out of Ontario, the original owner drove into New Hampshire and bought her and took her back into Canada.

BTW - the car did come out of Ontario, the original owner drove into New Hampshire and bought her and took her back into Canada.

My VIN number is correct. I have located the car. It is still in the hands of the original owner. And very DEFINITELY not for sale nor to be contacted again. It apparently has not seen the light of day in quite some time.

can you clarify?
are you saying theres 2 cars with almost identical numbers?
what color did the car turn out to be??

VIN is RM23V0A168749
Which would make it RM23U0A168749.

can you clarify?
are you saying theres 2 cars with almost identical numbers?
what color did the car turn out to be??

VIN is RM23V0A168749
Which would make it RM23U0A168749.

It is a "U" code car in Vitamin "C" orange.

thats kind of cool,rustys car was only 20 behind the orange one.
just imagining the assembly line is a trip in itself...
ty for the reply mr Hemi,and major props to you for searching out and finding the car.

That's very cool, two cars that started out at the same geographic location. In my search for the original owner I took out a full page add every year in the New Hampshire news paper on the Sunday of the Daytona 500 with a $500 reward for information, about 8-10 years ago I was contacted by a lady (in her 80's) that told me the story of my car.
She had lent her boyfriend (Canadian) the money to buy the car and they were talking marriage, after he had the car a few months she kept catching him driving around with different young ladies and got pissed off and broke up and never got repaid. She gave me his name and contact info but requested to remain anonymous to which I agreed, I contacted him and verified he was the original owner and he was so my search was finally over.
After 1 month I noticed the lady had not yet cashed the reward check that I sent her so I called her back, her friend answered the phone and told me she passed away 3 days after we had talked.
Very nice old lady......
I redrafted a new check to her friend to cover some expenses for the funeral etc.

Attachments

• 380703-01.pdf
    93.6 KB · Views: 121
Auto Transport Service
Back