• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ISO: '70 Challenger S/E - SE New Mexico circa '81-'85

Mark Crenshaw

Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm Mark. A 60 year old Mopar fan, reminiscing about my glory days. I was lucky enough to drive a '70 Challenger S/E 383/727 in high school ('77-'79). My older brother drove a '69 GTX 440/727 around the same time. He's been on a search for his GTX for the last 10+ years and he's inspired me to see if I can locate my Challenger. I know the odds are long, but even if I can find out where it ended up, that would be pretty amazing.

The attached pic is how it looked when I traded it in approximately "81 or '82. The car was in the SE New Mexico area.. Roswell, Artesia, Carlsbad. I heard at one point in was in Clovis. It was originally red with a black vinyl top. My brother's journey has exhausted most record-keeping sources in the area. DPS, DMV, bank, insurance company. Records were destroyed by fire or disposal, so no help there with his car. Mine had similar registration years and purchase loan with the same bank. Not sure I ever had insurance on it. All I have are a few pics. No plate number, registration or VIN.

Just thought I would put this out there and see if anything comes back. I guess it's a better shot than doing nothing. :)

70 Challenger.jpg

Good luck with your hunt. I had searched for eons for my cousin's 64 Polara 426/4spd he bought new having the VIN and sticker...no luck; but a lot could have happened in a half a century. BUT, there have been success stories posted on our forum.

Very distinct paint job. Maybe somebody will recognize it.There is lots of Mopar eyes on this forum. If its still in NM, it wont be rusted away. I haven't seen it around here in SW NM. I hope you find it.

Good luck with your hunt. I had searched for eons for my cousin's 64 Polara 426/4spd he bought new having the VIN and sticker...no luck; but a lot could have happened in a half a century. BUT, there have been success stories posted on our forum.
Thanks Ron. Always hopeful.

Very distinct paint job. Maybe somebody will recognize it.There is lots of Mopar eyes on this forum. If its still in NM, it wont be rusted away. I haven't seen it around here in SW NM. I hope you find it.
Thanks for your input. Yeah, I was quite ambitious as a young painter. Haha! I worked at a GM dealership and worked on it at night. Concorde Blue and Bright Silver metallic Imron poly. The stripes are blue candy lacquer. All cleared in nice and tidy. I vividly remember going from one side to the other with a paint stick checking distances to body and panel seams to lay out the stripes. I didn't know what I didn't know back then. :)

Thats how it was done in the '80s. Original paint wasn't so important (barely an option). It was all about the stripes!! I think it looked cool. I bet its still out there somewhere.

That's an SE. Looks like you left the window plug in and the vinyl top off. What did you do about the screw holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back