• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

iso-crap rear spring mounts questions

volaredon

Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
78 Fury 2 door HT, 8-1/4" rear end.

I just replaced the original 4 leaf springs with a set of 5 leaf springs from General Spring in KC.... I aint racing my car or drifting or such, just driving it, so not too worried about getting rid of the iso mounts at the moment
I only average a couple thousand miles/year on this car since I have owned.
with the extra leaf and the U bolts all the way tight the 2 parts of the rear end clamp plates, the edges don't butt tight to each other so much.
I do have a set of urethane iso biscuits for my Volare which is stagnant. I dont remember where ID gotten them or I'd have already ordered another set of the biscuits and used the set I have on the Fury.
I see that 4,5, or even 6 leaf spring packs, could have been "stock" on these late B bodies.
When going with a thicker spring pack, what changed if anything in the U bolt/spring perch/iso cushion "sandwich," when they decided to use 1 spring pack vs another on the line? was it thinner biscuits, or deeper pockets on the clamp brackets?

also... the steering wheel used to be dead straight to the world. since the new springs, the wheel is slightly down on the right while going straight down the road. Not crazy so but enough to be noticed. I don't think 1 spring was sagged more than the other. but that tells me that I may have induced a "thrust angle," in replacing the springs.
But I did also bolt on different wheels and tires at same time as the new springs, I don't believe that plays a part there..... never had a "pull" with the old wheels/tires and don't now either. the car does sit much better, and rides much better. Driver side (exhaust shop bent-up) tailpipe doesn't hit near as often as it used to, even when I had the air shocks pumped up. (I did take the air shocks off with install of new springs, went with Sensa Tracs instead.
the air shocks were an along the side of the road band aid from back when we did Power Tour, with all our camping gear we had loaded in the trunk (NOT a usual thing) Id ordered them at a local Auto Zone the night before, and put them on in the parking lot after the "long haul awards thing" as everyone else turned and burned, outta there.
may have to take it for an alignment since new springs, I think it now needs more caster built into the alignment.

The lower spring bracket is different (deeper) from the 4 spring to 5 spring set-up. I used washers to fill the space between the brackets when I put HD 5 spring set-up on my Cordoba. When I switched out the 8 1/4 to a 9 1/4 it came with the 5 spring set-up and the deeper brackets and they now touch.

I have a 1979 Magnum GT with 5 leaf set up.
I ended up ordering urethane biscuits for a Aspen with
5 leafs (same thickness just about a 1/2 inch shorter in length)
Auto Rust Technicians sell U brackets but do not list for B body.
I e-mailed them for dimensions but never got a reply.
Good luck, not much info on this subject.

Auto Transport Service
Back