• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s got cop tires.......

gdrill

Just enjoying "B"-ing here
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
Stuck in the past, just North of Montana....
"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas"

Who’da thunk?
313B60E6-B185-438B-AE26-44B89CB02EE4.jpeg

20F8AB0D-005D-4C59-A0C7-A314CC9D219D.jpeg
F7608EA6-29CF-41FE-B3AE-8C505845B73C.jpeg
E205FE16-93C1-4DD4-A168-DD47283B0DCB.jpeg
A463864B-2DE0-4073-A44E-0A15A380A731.jpeg
22BA7C02-2D28-4271-B91F-C0B46864460C.jpeg
64CA4CF6-3C3A-45D1-8B4B-D34325084B4A.jpeg
313B60E6-B185-438B-AE26-44B89CB02EE4.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you don't need to run those tires. Pre catalytic converter, pre Noah's Ark.

only org. & completely dry rooted tires
good for about to the end of the driveway :carrot:

Has that super cracked side been on a car, or layin face down on concrete for years??

Those are "special" for sure

Says Po-Leece right on 'em. :thumbsup:

Dont they run a slightly higher pressure?

I bought a new set of BFG TA radials for my car project in about 1981.
As things sometimes turn out -a project may take longer than expected.:D--Mine did.
I got the car (my 69 coronet) running about 2009 and put thirty miles on those tires and wondered about the expiration dates of tires. Did some research about this. (a quick current search brings up six years as being "expiration" time?)

Considering my safety and the car's value- I decided to toss those -"brand new" old tires for peace of mind. It was a tough mental call because I could see no visual evidence of the tires cracking or other degradation.

As far as I know, the formula for rubber has changed very little and does degrade with age hence the need/requirement that manufacturing dates be placed on them.

This topic has come up many times over the years and will always be something to discuss.
Example--one can open a thirty-year-old can of chili (that has a date code on it) -take a look and a sniff--and all may seem good to go.-- Frankly, I am not one to even taste it.

Last edited:
There was a guy from New Zealand that just filled the cracks with shoe polish.

Crackle walls. Something like wrinkle slicks.

This topic has come up many times over the years and will always be something to discuss.
Example--one can open a thirty-year-old can of chili (that has a date code on it) -take a look and a sniff--and all may seem good to go.-- Frankly, I am not one to even taste it.
My mother canned vegetables in Mason Jars and put dates on the lids. When we went through her pantry after her death, each kind of vegetable was on shelves lined up by date with the oldest being first. We found that she had not canned anything in about 15 years. She was eating vegetables that were close to 30 years old and no she didn't dye of food poisoning. The only ones she would throw out were jars that the seal was broken on.

My mother canned vegetables in Mason Jars and put dates on the lids. When we went through her pantry after her death, each kind of vegetable was on shelves lined up by date with the oldest being first. We found that she had not canned anything in about 15 years. She was eating vegetables that were close to 30 years old and no she didn't dye of food poisoning. The only ones she would throw out were jars that the seal was broken on.

I have an unopened can of cut okra. It clearly has lost most of its water content and just rattles like having a few pieces of popped popcorn left in it. Also a can of chili (that prompted, my comment) that seems to have lost half of its water content. -That can is only twenty years old. It just sloshes in an apparent wet lump.:eek:

BTW my mother was in the army in the early forties and was tasked with experimenting and studying this topic of food preservation in cans. I learned interesting stuff when very young from her. "Canning" at that time had much to be desired. The sealing process was/is the key.
I have no reason to contest good preservation practices for food.
However, when any basic organic matter is exposed to oxygen (primarily) it will degrade over time and become something different than intended. Tires will go bad unless hermetically sealed.:drinks:

Last edited:
Yep....Burt Munro - and he broke the speed record in his old Indian.
Filled the cracks with shoe polish......good as new. :lol:

rAMV1u.gif
I remember the movie about him well. The Lord was looking out for him for sure. I guess he needed that record.

Auto Transport Service
Back