• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It happened a year ago at this time (Christmas Story?)

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
Time for another "Ed's got a story" about what happened in the wee hours of the night on December 11, 2017.
Y'all read it and smirk or ignore it or whatever, still gonna write it....

I was having another one of those can't sleep sort of nights that come often these days, so at 2am I decide to jump in the truck and head out in search of smokes.
Yeah, I hadn't gotten them when, you know, stores were actually OPEN or some such, of course.
I headed out, ticked off at myself - which promptly turned into "ticked off that nobody is open" as I went through town.
Nevermind that I didn't see another living soul for miles, you know....

Having checked everywhere local, I decide to head west down the 4 lane to other lands and I wind up in a town about 20 miles down where miraculously the Marathon is 24 hour.
I started the gas pump filling the truck and rounded up the poor young lady employee who was outside at 2:30am, BY HERSELF, sweeping the sidewalk.
We stepped inside and I headed to the restroom, asking her to find me some smokes while I'm in there.

When I came back out, I saw a fella probably in his late 40's had come into the store and was nervously "shopping" the candy aisle - in a tee shirt. Keep in mind, it's darn chilly that time of the morning, so that naturally caught my attention.
I looked at her and she was real nervous about him, too.
I gave her a quick wink to let her know I was on it and loudly announced "I think I need a drink, too" and headed right for the guy on my way to the cooler.
He saw me coming and gave me the stink eye.

Uh no, that won't do.
At all.
You all know me....

I struck up a conversation with him and pretty much checked him out verbally, some small talk about isn't he cold, etc. etc.
He's still not being too friendly, so I stepped up to the counter to pay for my stuff and she was looking at me like "help".
Again, I winked at her to let her know I wasn't going anywhere until HE left and she whispered a silent "thank you."

The next several minutes consisted of his giving me the stink eye, over and over, and me just grinning back at him, letting him know I had no intention of leaving anytime soon.
He finally gave up and leaves, (buying nothing) and gets in his pickup, which he had left running all that time, and slowly rolled out.
So did I, right behind him - and don't you know, I was headed the same way he was.
1f642.png
:)
Well, not really, but for the next few miles I sure the hell was....

After a while, I turned around and headed back to the store.
I rolled slowly past the windows to wave at her and let her know he was gone gone.
She smiled at me real big and gave me one of those THANK YOU waves back.

It was right then that it occurred to me why I felt compelled that particular evening to take a long drive at 2am in all that dark and cold....
and it didn't have a damn thing to do with cigarettes.

He DOES dispatch us on errands sometimes, ya know.
1f642.png

Lesson learned, I headed for home - and I wasn't the least bit mad at anyone anymore.
Merry Christmas, everyone. :)

P.S. Oh, almost forgot...
Those smokes were stale as hell.
I smoked every damn one of them anyways.
I earned 'em. :thumbsup:

Any employer that leaves a young woman alone like that are a bunch of scumbag useless pieces of ****. Anything for a dollar, they all suck.
You did the right thing, your a good man and possibly there was a higher power involved.
Just do yourself a favor, give up them smokes

Any employer that leaves a young woman alone like that are a bunch of scumbag useless pieces of ****. Anything for a dollar, they all suck.
You did the right thing, your a good man and possibly there was a higher power involved.
Just do yourself a favor, give up them smokes
Possibly? No doubt about it.
I was sent - dispatched as it were.

Ed, you triggered my memory on something that happened to me once.

It was 1980 and I was working at the local hospital on the grounds dept. This particular morning I walked down through the basement area and to where we kept the equipment for mowing ect. When I entered the equipment room, for some reason I walked over to the garage door and hit the button to open it. I had no reason to do this, I just did it.

When the door opened, I saw a car drive past. This is just an access road to a couple of loading docks behind the hospital. Then the car backs up and it disappears behind a cooling tower that was there. So I walked out to the road to see where the car went.

There was the car and a elderly lady was out and walking toward me. When she was right in front of me she collapsed in my arms. She wouldn't respond to anything I said so I carried her back to her car and got her in the passenger side. There's nothing around the back of this place, nobody is hardly ever back there. Doing CPR would almost be out of the question because I would probably need it myself by time someone noticed. Best bet is to get her around to the front of the building and into the emergency room.

Luckily the keys were in the ignition so I jumped behind the wheel, turned the car around and hauled *** to the ER. It was about a mile around to the front as I ran two or three stop signs and really blew the carbon out of that engine. I held her wrist and could barely feel a slow, faint pulse.

I came flying into the emergency entrance, jumped out, ran inside and shouted out "we have a Code Blue outside!" Well the girls looked at me like it was a joke or something. They all knew me and didn't it seriously. I hollered out again and they finally came running out.

Later that day I came through the ER and asked about her. They said she was ok and told me they had admitted her. The next day I recieved a Thank You card from my supervisor that was sent by her. I stopped by her room and we had a nice talk about what had happened.

She was a substitute teacher that day and was having chest pains while teaching class. They sent her home! Well she didn't make it too far and decided to drive herself to the hospital. She was from out of town and didn't know the area. That's how she ended up around the back.

Now you can't tell me that wasn't planned out...

Ed, you triggered my memory on something that happened to me once.

It was 1980 and I was working at the local hospital on the grounds dept. This particular morning I walked down through the basement area and to where we kept the equipment for mowing ect. When I entered the equipment room, for some reason I walked over to the garage door and hit the button to open it. I had no reason to do this, I just did it.

When the door opened, I saw a car drive past. This is just an access road to a couple of loading docks behind the hospital. Then the car backs up and it disappears behind a cooling tower that was there. So I walked out to the road to see where the car went.

There was the car and a elderly lady was out and walking toward me. When she was right in front of me she collapsed in my arms. She wouldn't respond to anything I said so I carried her back to her car and got her in the passenger side. There's nothing around the back of this place, nobody is hardly ever back there. Doing CPR would almost be out of the question because I would probably need it myself by time someone noticed. Best bet is to get her around to the front of the building and into the emergency room.

Luckily the keys were in the ignition so I jumped behind the wheel, turned the car around and hauled *** to the ER. It was about a mile around to the front as I ran two or three stop signs and really blew the carbon out of that engine. I held her wrist and could barely feel a slow, faint pulse.

I came flying into the emergency entrance, jumped out, ran inside and shouted out "we have a Code Blue outside!" Well the girls looked at me like it was a joke or something. They all knew me and didn't it seriously. I hollered out again and they finally came running out.

Later that day I came through the ER and asked about her. They said she was ok and told me they had admitted her. The next day I recieved a Thank You card from my supervisor that was sent by her. I stopped by her room and we had a nice talk about what had happened.

She was a substitute teacher that day and was having chest pains while teaching class. They sent her home! Well she didn't make it too far and decided to drive herself to the hospital. She was from out of town and didn't know the area. That's how she ended up around the back.

Now you can't tell me that wasn't planned out...
Awesome story, my friend.
Yes, you were definitely "called" and it's very gratifying to read you answered the call without hesitation.
Good on ya!
This being in the right place at the right time stuff isn't coincidental.
Come to find out, it's the main reason any of us are passengers on this rock to begin with. :)

Just wondering, was Ed packing?

Time for another "Ed's got a story" about what happened in the wee hours of the night on December 11, 2017.
Y'all read it and smirk or ignore it or whatever, still gonna write it....

I was having another one of those can't sleep sort of nights that come often these days, so at 2am I decide to jump in the truck and head out in search of smokes.
Yeah, I hadn't gotten them when, you know, stores were actually OPEN or some such, of course.
I headed out, ticked off at myself - which promptly turned into "ticked off that nobody is open" as I went through town.
Nevermind that I didn't see another living soul for miles, you know....

Having checked everywhere local, I decide to head west down the 4 lane to other lands and I wind up in a town about 20 miles down where miraculously the Marathon is 24 hour.
I started the gas pump filling the truck and rounded up the poor young lady employee who was outside at 2:30am, BY HERSELF, sweeping the sidewalk.
We stepped inside and I headed to the restroom, asking her to find me some smokes while I'm in there.

When I came back out, I saw a fella probably in his late 40's had come into the store and was nervously "shopping" the candy aisle - in a tee shirt. Keep in mind, it's darn chilly that time of the morning, so that naturally caught my attention.
I looked at her and she was real nervous about him, too.
I gave her a quick wink to let her know I was on it and loudly announced "I think I need a drink, too" and headed right for the guy on my way to the cooler.
He saw me coming and gave me the stink eye.

Uh no, that won't do.
At all.
You all know me....

I struck up a conversation with him and pretty much checked him out verbally, some small talk about isn't he cold, etc. etc.
He's still not being too friendly, so I stepped up to the counter to pay for my stuff and she was looking at me like "help".
Again, I winked at her to let her know I wasn't going anywhere until HE left and she whispered a silent "thank you."

The next several minutes consisted of his giving me the stink eye, over and over, and me just grinning back at him, letting him know I had no intention of leaving anytime soon.
He finally gave up and leaves, (buying nothing) and gets in his pickup, which he had left running all that time, and slowly rolled out.
So did I, right behind him - and don't you know, I was headed the same way he was.
1f642.png
Well, not really, but for the next few miles I sure the hell was....

After a while, I turned around and headed back to the store.
I rolled slowly past the windows to wave at her and let her know he was gone gone.
She smiled at me real big and gave me one of those THANK YOU waves back.

It was right then that it occurred to me why I felt compelled that particular evening to take a long drive at 2am in all that dark and cold....
and it didn't have a damn thing to do with cigarettes.

He DOES dispatch us on errands sometimes, ya know.
1f642.png

Lesson learned, I headed for home - and I wasn't the least bit mad at anyone anymore.
Merry Christmas, everyone. :)

So much to take away from this story. Thanks for sharing. Any yes sir, HE certainly does put us in certain places at certain times.

2 of the best stories ive ever read on this forum and they didnt even have mopars involved.
Ty for sharing,both of you guys,and God Bless.

2 of the best stories ive ever read on this forum and they didnt even have mopars involved.
I agree. Normal everyday Americans put in a situation and then doing the right and honorable thing.

Great question. At 2 AM in the morning on lonely roads Don certainly would have been.
I left it laying on my desk in the holster. No idea why.
Same thing that told me to get in the truck at 2am told me to leave the Walther home and it didn't even occur to me to question it...

Reviving my old thread here, since this is pretty much the anniversary of the event.
I was surprised there weren't more "testimonials" from other members of similar "callings"
in their lives?

Just re-read this thread and didn't notice your post about the stories not having any mopars. Well the car that belonged to the lady was a big old mopar. Something like a Plymouth Fury land yacht. Don't remember much about those details when you find yourself in that situation.

Just re-read this thread and didn't notice your post about the stories not having any mopars. Well the car that belonged to the lady was a big old mopar. Something like a Plymouth Fury land yacht. Don't remember much about those details when you find yourself in that situation.
I was in my '04 Ram that night. Does that count? :)

I have one if God helps us when we do a little something against man's law. :) Don't know if it belongs in your thread.

we could delete if offensive ..

When I was 20 we "occasionally" smoked a little weed. One night my best friend and I went to buy some. He went in and I waited in the car. He came out with an oz. each and we went on our way. Did one and went to a neighborhood bar. About 11 PM I left to pick up my girl (later wife) from work. Waiting in the parking lot about 10 minutes when she comes out. I roll down the window and she tells me, it will be about 10 more minutes as there was a problem with something. I tell her it's fine, and she goes back in, but while I had the window down I felt how cold it was. Here it comes. So I get out of the car and get my jacket out of the back seat and there is the 2 oz.'s of weed. We never bothered to really hide it back then. Console, under the center arm rest or seat, anywhere nearby. For some reason I take it and go to the trunk. I don't lay it in the trunk I place it up in the trunk lid where the inside support is. Stuff the two bags up in there. My girl comes out and we leave to drop her off a block away. She goes in and I travel two block and I'm waiting at a red light when a narc car pulls along side me. They are looking at me, light changes and they follow me. Several blocks and I'm back at the bar I left and they pull behind me. They come and ask for my licences and ask to search my car. Stupid to say no, so I say go ahead. They are all over the interior and go in the back seat also looking everywhere. Now people from the bar are coming out wondering what is going on. They all have this puzzled look, except my buddy who's eyes are popping out because he knows. They ask to go in the trunk, so I open the trunk and he looks inside and under the spare, all the while my problem is right above his head. He closes the trunk and says, stay off of Jersey St. and they leave.

Now why I put it up there I could never answer, as I said we NEVER bothered to hide it, but this night I really stashed it ..Why ?
That 2 oz in NY back then, would have seriously changed my life. I believe it was a gift from God, because I have no explanation why I did that. Shame is, I can't tell a lot of people in my life about it. :fool: No No.

Auto Transport Service
Back