• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's always something

jusglazin

Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
Just bought a new transmission for my 66 belvedere. Go to swap it in and the damn mount location is different. Didnt bother to check that B vs B/E tailshafts are different. Get ready to bolt it up and the mounting pad is almost a foot to far forward.
Geez time to get out the welder...
20220527_005230.jpg
20220527_005223.jpg

Last edited:
If the output shaft length is the same, just swap output housings. It's easy.

Just bought a new transmission for my 66 belvedere. Go to swap it in and the damn mount location is different. Didnt bother to check that B vs B/E tailshafts are different. Get ready to bolt it up and the mounting pad is almost a foot to far forward.
Geez time to get out the welder...View attachment 1290228 View attachment 1290229

Looks more like 2 1/2" to 3" to me. I wonder if an automatic crossmember will do the trick.

2000-01-22-03-13-57-jpg.jpg

Looks more like 2 1/2" to 3" to me. I wonder if an automatic crossmember will do the trick.
View attachment 1290258
What I was thinking also.
This almost new trans crossmember I bought from Brewer's allows installation of '70-up transmissions into older
b-bodies (like my '68 GTX).
I swapped 4 speeds shortly after I used this one, went from a 23 to an 18 spline from '68 and used the
old crossmember, so this one is shiny and gathering dust on the shelf now.
Do you need it @jusglazin ??
new trans crossmember and fork boot.jpg

I think my setup is the same as yours. I was able to use my automatic crossmember during my 4 speed swap by installing it flipped the opposite way.

Or, "with the help of an a-dapter kit" as Johnny Cash once said . . . fabrication time?

You have the wrong crossmember. Get the right one and it bolts together. Post 3 & 4 show the right one.

If the difference in your pic is what you are calling a foot (12"), you need a new tape measure too... :poke:

Last edited:
Ha ha, you guys are so correct. Thats why I come here! I forgot I cut the last one which was for a Auto to make it work. Need to look in my scrap parts to see if I still have that piece to weld back on. Otherwise I hit one of you up for the correct crossmember.

Auto Transport Service
Back