• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been 4 months now and I can't get the body shop to get me an update

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
The shop I picked is about 2 hours away from me, every time I ask for an update he says he will get me one and then never responds. A month in I took a Friday off and went to visit just to see the shop set up and my car wasn't there it was "out at a media blasters" Ok well **** but ok another month goes by "hey any progress?", 'I'll have to check with the guys" no response. Had a former very disgruntled customer actually two them both tell me this shop is being evicted from its location?! wtf? Called the property management company and they said this shop is leaving at the end of the month. but would not say they were being evicted so not sure if it's just a move or not. Asked again today - hey send me some pictures of the car it should be done from media blasting - response "I'll get some." Before that I asked if he thought the car would be done by March he said" let me ask the body guy" no response well WTF is it done in blasting and sitting in your shop where is my car? he did mention I am 3rd in line now a couple of weeks ago. Whoohoo! oh wait how is that going to work if you're moving out at the end of this month? is he going to let his customers know he is moving?

Should I be worried?

BODY SHOP PRISON..... You better go check on your car.I took a car in for body and paint.(67 Dart) I worked a job that was 60hr a week + 24 hour on call. Thus I never went to check on the car just phone calls. After a year of "Will be starting on it soon" and "Things are going well,should be done soon". I took a day and what did I find ? My car sitting in the same spot as when I dropped it off,outside,trunk full of water with the spare tire floating.I will say that after going to a second shop,I finally got the car finished at the third shop. They had it for about 4 months. Hurry and check and see with your own eyes.

Scary **** to say the least to have your car at a place and not be able to see any work progress on it, I know shops take on jobs they know dam well they won't get to in 3-6 months but the fall was supposed to be the slow time. In this case the guy is moving out and has not said anything as to where he is moving to or if that will cause another delay on my car, **** can't even confirm if my car is even at his shop now. for all I know it could be at some other business's yard just sitting or even worse being parted out for cash.

This is about the time the paranoia starts to kick in. I think I need a road trip.

You don't have time for me to tell you about the scum-sucking Chevy guy who painted my R/T in 1988. Shelly's Auto Body, Danielsville, Pennsylvania. Liar. Cheat. Scumball. Hostage for over one year.

get the posse together!! we gotta go rescue JB's RR!!!

:4164823-pengforks::4164823-pengforks:

This doesn't sound good - I think the time for polite phone calls is over. You need to be sure your car is safe, and in my opinion, you need to demand pictures and an update immediately, along with a pretty good explanation. If that doesn't get satisfaction, get legal help and get your car.

Sorry to sound so negative, but your descriptions worries the crap out of me.........

Get it out while there is still something to retrieve. scary situation.

may want to ask Johnny law to accompany you to the shop. just my 2cents. he may sell it before he closes his shop. I lost two antiques do to a shop closing up and left no forwarding address.$$$$$$

Get your f__king car now !! Bullshit is bullshit! It's your money, it's your car. Trust no one with their verbal promises. Let the work speak for itself.

I agree with everyone above. I would be nervous, upset, angry.... And a whole bunch of things I can't say on this forum. This guy screwing with you that way - go get your car the hell out of there. He's already proven over and over he can't be trusted - what more motivation do you need!

Unfortunately the road rip is inevitable! Taking law dog with you isn't a bad idea! Take your paperwork and proof of ownership as it is kind of a civil thing that's now bordering criminal and law dog may not get involved. But if they hesitate, just ask them to come keep the peace. That usually does the trick.

Good luck. Wish the best! Keep us posted how you make out.

Go get your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm an ex-lawman and this sounds REALLY bad. I don't know where you are located but my body guys are honest and fast. You can see pictures of my car before and after and the work took 30 days. They did a really nice job.

He never gave me a written estimate. Here in Cal if a shop fails to do is paperwork and didn't have me sign anything then its as if he has stolen the car, I talked to our Bureau of automotive repair for the state and they said if he doesn't have the car at his shop and either doesn't know where it is or wont tell me I can go to the police and file a stolen car claim. If he had ask me to sign a written estimate then it would be a civil matter and the police would do nothing.

There have been a couple of past customers who have had a bad experience contact me and tell me all kinds of bad stories and all kinds of stuff real disparaging stuff makes me sad. If it hadn't been for the fact that i confirmed what one of them told me about this shop moving out at the end of the month with the property management company I probably would be still be figuring he was busy and and I am next in line or some crap, now I am really worried and will be heading up there tomorrow wish me luck.

Good on the "not civil" thing! That is good news believe it or not!

X2 with Hemi!

I'm with everyone else! Very concerned about your car and wonder if they even started on it much less been to the blasters. I`m with HR and like the idea of bringing a trailer with you. Let us know how its going. Good luck!

Yes, Go get your car. at no time should they ever blow you off on updates ect.

I just hope you did not give them a large down payment, even if you did still bring your car home.
You can fight over the $ later but at least you will have your car.
Also ask for the job ticket / time sheets or copies of them also before you leave. If they are any kind of a shop at all they will have a set of time sheets for any work done to it.
Myself I don't know if I would go charging in with a cop, You need to play them like they have played you,
Tell you lost your job , huge medical expense , ect.
if they think the money well is dry they prob will help you load it up. If you have paid more than what they have done don't get in a pissin match over it, just get the car out and then fight over money later.

Ugh, what a horrible situation. Time for a surprise visit to the shop. Take a friend with you so you have a witness that can hear the shop's excuses. If your car isn't there, and they won't or can't tell you where it is, call the police.

Auto Transport Service
Back