• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've dug Mopars for this long?!?

CoronetDarter

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
Yesterday I was cleaning out the garage making room for my new air compressor (about time!), when I came across an old cardboard box stuck way in the back underneath one of the workbenches. I had forgotten about it over the years but recognized it immediately. Inside was about 20+ car models that I had built when I was a kid some 40+ years ago. Mind you this was only a fraction of the total model cars I had built over the years. Back in the day we would build almost one a week while on summer break. What's incredible is that I grew up in New York City, moved to San Jose, CA in '79 and then up to the Sacramento area in '91. Somehow that box followed me wherever I went. And of course, half the models were Mopars, A, B, and E bodies! I was a Mopar guy before I hit Jr. High. :headbang:

Thing was, I was going to finally get rid of the box and all the models 'cause I never look at 'em anymore; the glue is all dried up and the parts are falling off (never could get the front wheels to stay on long). But my wife and son came to their rescue and persuaded me to hang on to them and now they have a safer place to rest inside the house. Here's some examples:
IMG_1663.jpg Chrysler Co dominated NASCAR and NHRA back then so I built all kinds of race cars. The S&M Cuda has a tunnel ram Hemi.
IMG_1646.jpgIMG_1647.jpg IMG_1650.jpgI liked them Challengers.
IMG_1649.jpgIMG_1648.jpg How's that for '70's styling - took the rear wheels off of a dune buggy or something and stuck them on the Charger.
IMG_1655.jpg I think they had air shocks lol IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg IMG_1656.jpg I always liked the '70 Boss 302 - with Cragars
IMG_1653.jpg I know it's a Camaro but I was young and foolish.:head_smack:
IMG_1654.jpg SS 396IMG_1660.jpgIMG_1661.jpgIMG_1662.jpg You can't beat the classics

There are more but I got into some weird cars - Opel GT, Pacer, Chevy Monza, VW's, Corvair, Vettes. Even a garbage truck! It was different times, back then my friends and I were planning the first car we would own when we were 10. I always said it would be a '69 Charger, and that was what I bought in '79. My kids didn't even really care if they got their drivers license right away. Oh well, thanks for letting me share.

I built them when I was in the marines with another guy we would compete like at a show and we both were into mopar we would repaint the cars or add and option it was a good hobby... sadly out of the truck loads of glue they sold at the px we were the only 2who had put any models together in the 2years I served in that unit...

I built models too starting with the old metal Hubley Model A's etc when I was around 8. Had a Packard too but got into the modern plastic stuff several years later. I just go rid of the last of the Hubley stuff just a few years ago....

I see your wife at the counter with your models she doesn't seem to be smiling .:thinker:

nice...I built my fair share...most caught fire or got in the way of the bb gun...I was walking through meijer yesterday and my son said ....look dad only one mopar in the hole bunch....he was looking at the models and there was a sox and martin cornet ....we bought it.

now that will be a nice father son build :headbang:

When I got old enough to earn a few bucks doing chores for the neighbors I would run down to the hobby shop and buy a AMT or Revell kit to paint and glue together. The thing I remember most is how good that glue smelled. :icon_eyes:

so you where one of those glue sniffers from back in the day :thinker:

I see your wife at the counter with your models she doesn't seem to be smiling .:thinker:

The picture might have been taken right she convinced me to keep them and I replied "Great, lets display them all on the mantle!"

bet she loved that :rolling:

If you change your mind, sell them on E-BAY. At least a few of them are annual issues, and they are valuable. I'd love to restore them but I just don't have the time.

If you change your mind, sell them on E-BAY. At least a few of them are annual issues, and they are valuable. I'd love to restore them but I just don't have the time.

Interesting, never thought about selling them.

CoronetDarter cool collection... Thanks for sharing

I do remember building allot of models, early on, I'm not sure how old I was,
but when I lived in Palmer & Anchorage Alaska, 83-84 during the long cold winter nights,
I'd build a custom model every week or so, to keep my sanity, stave off cabin fever...

Mostly all Gasser style, Altereds, Drag cars mostly & Monster 4x4 Trucks, with a few Mopars & muscle cars,
thrown in the mix...

I gave them all to my nephew, when I left & moved back to Calif., he was supposed to bring them back to Calif. latter,
after I got settled in, along with a chit load of Hot Wheels, track & acc. from my youth, a 1929 Lionel Train set
{family heirloom, my fathers, given to him by my granddad}, also some H/O slot cars & track, all stuff that he was supposed to hang on to, he traded them away for baseball stuff, bats, gloves, balls etc....

CoronetDarter,
Whats your plans with them! I'm interested in resurrecting a few if not all of those, if you plan to sell 'em send me a PM (PLEASE don't toss 'em!)

so you where one of those glue sniffers from back in the day :thinker:

i guess I must have been, but I quit cold turkey and haven't gone back. A friend told me that if you stop building the models but keep buying the glue, you might have a problem.:eusa_naughty:

i guess I must have been, but I quit cold turkey and haven't gone back. A friend told me that if you stop building the models but keep buying the glue, you might have a problem.:eusa_naughty:

Sadly, I still build models, but I don't use the same glue from back in the day. so what might that say? LOL

I still have a big box of models hidden on a top shelf in back of the closet i was to impatient for model glue i used krazy glue and super glue ,

Good for you! Thats what good wives are for; save us from our own stupidity. It's my wife's full time job.

CoronetDarter cool collection... Thanks for sharing

I do remember building allot of models, early on, I'm not sure how old I was,
but when I lived in Palmer & Anchorage Alaska, 83-84 during the long cold winter nights,
I'd build a custom model every week or so, to keep my sanity, stave off cabin fever...

Mostly all Gasser style, Altereds, Drag cars mostly & Monster 4x4 Trucks, with a few Mopars & muscle cars,
thrown in the mix...

I gave them all to my nephew, when I left & moved back to Calif., he was supposed to bring them back to Calif. latter,
after I got settled in, along with a chit load of Hot Wheels, track & acc. from my youth, a 1929 Lionel Train set
{family heirloom, my fathers, given to him by my granddad}, also some H/O slot cars & track, all stuff that he was supposed to hang on to, he traded them away for baseball stuff, bats, gloves, balls etc....

Sorry to hear that about your collection. One of my first models was a 55 Chevy gasser that i still have ( but didn't take a photo).

Auto Transport Service
Back