• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J heads on my 318

Long4door

Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
So I'm a noob , I been digging into this motor for the last 2 weeks so the question is ...
318 stamped 11 67 . 360 intake 4 barrel than I see 185j heads .. what can I check next without going deeper to see the previous builder did more than just slap these heads on. I see the use of these heads is debated also some other things should have followed maybe cam , torque converter, rear end idk. Just replaced the oil pump and was going to start closing it up moving onto the electronic ignition install since I got these items with the car haven't fired it yet

Hopefully is has a new timing chain.
You could do a compression test, that will say the most as far as what is done. The j heads lower the compression a bit. You could always get a cheap scope and peak in a cylinder and have a look if your curious.
If you pull a valve cover off, see what springs are on it. Count the number of coils and spring diameter, etc.. and do some research usually you can find what is on there, or it may be stock.

Hopefully is has a new timing chain.
You could do a compression test, that will say the most as far as what is done. The j heads lower the compression a bit. You could always get a cheap scope and peak in a cylinder and have a look if your curious.
If you pull a valve cover off, see what springs are on it. Count the number of coils and spring diameter, etc.. and do some research usually you can find what is on there, or it may be stock.
Will do... get 2 days off this weekend!

Auto Transport Service
Back