• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Judging a car for factory correct

NorthOfForty

Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
There have been a few discussions lately on what is correct for various items when trying to do a factory restore. I guess if your car is '68 or newer you can buy the 'big' book which has tons of information.

I have a '67 Coronet R/T. My question is what standards would be used to judge a car '67 or older when there is no readily available sources. How do they mark something correct or not correct.

Has anyone had a '67 judged at a show? It would be interesting to know what procedure is followed because in ten to fifteen years my car will be ready to show!

there has to be a book on your car,I have a book on chargers and it does have the 67 options in it.

There have been a few discussions lately on what is correct for various items when trying to do a factory restore. I guess if your car is '68 or newer you can buy the 'big' book which has tons of information.

I have a '67 Coronet R/T. My question is what standards would be used to judge a car '67 or older when there is no readily available sources. How do they mark something correct or not correct.

Has anyone had a '67 judged at a show? It would be interesting to know what procedure is followed because in ten to fifteen years my car will be ready to show!
Just to clarify your statement......There is no book available that accurately tells the what, why and how to restore a 68-70 B.....There are some good references available, some better than others....They are not a step by step guide.....

That big book you refer too I used probably about 20 pages out of it.......The rest came from personal research and other experts in the OE world...

When it comes to body markings...You should only recreate what you can find on your car......You will not be dinged for a marking you dont have.....Those were done differently at each plant and are different based on the line worker at that moment in time.....

So with that being said the early B's are at a huge disadvantage as you noted. Which is a shame. I may be able to put you in contact with someone who does OE restorations in your model year....Shoot me a pm if your interested....

There is also a member here whom has scored Gold with his GTX...maybe he will chime in....

Also, go to the judged events and research these cars.....The other day a member posted a survivor 67 Net at a show.....Which would be awesome to document...SO cars are still out there...It just take time and research...

Like mopar74 says... I once bought a ‘68 b-body resto book that I gave to a buddy just for nostalgia purposes. It said I needed a chrome knob for seat release fore/aft on a bench seat(?) . My original had a blk plastic knob; I read the rest and just chuckled & shook my head at the rest. No expert on who has THE best manual.

What MoparNation74 says..... Do research on your specific model and plant. There is no book written that will give you directions for an OEM restoration no matter the year.

D

One of the problems is that sometimes different plants did things differently and those are sometimes not accounted for.

Not to mention parts bin issues.

The left side of my unmolested 66 Coronet has nuts with captive washers on all the trim and tail light housings, while the right side has sheet metal speed nuts. Wonder how that would be judged?

I have two unmolested St Louis built 67 Belvederes in my "collection", one in original paint.
If there's something that might help the OP, I'll be happy to look.

Thanks for the replies. By 'big' book I was referring to David Wise's 1968/70 Dodge B body reference manual. It is 2000 pages long. I just assumed if you had a car covered in this book you could do a pretty good job on a factory resto. I thought it was the industry standard for judging. I stand corrected. It must be getting harder all the time to find a true survivor car. My car is completely original but previous owner unfortunately powder coated the k member and rear end housing. So, two valuable sources for reference are gone.

One of the problems is that sometimes different plants did things differently and those are sometimes not accounted for.

Not to mention parts bin issues.

The left side of my unmolested 66 Coronet has nuts with captive washers on all the trim and tail light housings, while the right side has sheet metal speed nuts. Wonder how that would be judged?

I have two unmolested St Louis built 67 Belvederes in my "collection", one in original paint.
If there's something that might help the OP, I'll be happy to look.
Wow, different nuts is really weird. Maybe Justin will chime in again.

It really is a crapshoot looking for info. Go to EVERY car show you can- MoparNats,Carlisle,etc. Even something local/close; you never know who/you'll run in to. I recently saw a 4-dr 68 Coronet at a local show with a painted number on underside of hood, didnt know what it meant & didnt meet owner, but it looked all original. Was just walking around eyeballing the Mopars & having fun. You really just never know who or what youll meet up with.

Wow, different nuts is really weird. Maybe Justin will chime in again.
Jeff

That wouldn't surprised me a bit......The line had to use what was available....Or the person on that side grabbed out of the wrong fastener bin.....

The downfall is a judge would ding that if they notice it....That is when the owner takes detailed pictures prior to removal and behind those areas when removed. That information presented at time of judging will sway the judges opinion typically....

If not into getting the car judged etc...no biggie it is cool information to show the mistakes that happened on the line...

The OE judging for most is not a one and done process...Hence I stated PROCESS....The judging is based on a point system...Typically, a thousand points...So each car starts at 1k and points are deducted based on the judges designations or errors, mistakes etc.

No one has scored a 1k and probably never will....So these cars that get judged get a report after being judged. From that report the majority of owners improve those areas. They then return at a later date to achieve a higher status or higher points.....

That is part of the learning curve....just because you score silver once does not mean you dont have a chance to improve and score gold....The key is you learn what the judges are looking for and want...These are guys that know factory correctness...

Funny, how one of the judges is mentioned here.....Brings me memories back when I was in Virginia and he came over to my pops garage and we talked a bit about "correctness."....Sometimes a big world is small...

Last edited:
Like mopar74 says... I once bought a ‘68 b-body resto book that I gave to a buddy just for nostalgia purposes. It said I needed a chrome knob for seat release fore/aft on a bench seat(?) . My original had a blk plastic knob; I read the rest and just chuckled & shook my head at the rest. No expert on who has THE best manual.
I agree, for my 67 Charger has a few things on it that seemed to be left over from 66 (birthday was late 66). Best thing to do is research original manuals and pictures. And if you get a chance, one owner cars. I bought a one owner 67 Coronet and it was like a trip back in time looking it over.

Why do moderators edit posts when there's nothing controversial.
You cannot just go around quoting a well-known figure in the hobby without substantiating the alleged quotation.

Remember this is in a Publicly visible forum, and if a complaint was laid by Mr Badalson, would you be fronting up to him?

Besides that...Moderators don't actually have to explain their actions here at all to anyone....... except the Site Owner. :)

In other words...... Mr. Badalson is like a balloon. When he's low on air where you can reach him, he's a can be a good guy to be around. However, when he's full of air, he rises above everyone else. He doesn't want you to weigh him down to everyone else.

The mods are being polite and respectful of Mr Badalson and censoring any postings that bothers Mr. Badalson.

Sorry, forgot to install quote, and don't know how to after posting

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back