• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June at Pacific Raceways; Here we go!

LemonWedge

Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
When the schedule for Pacific Raceways Swift-Tool ET series came out a few months ago, one thing stood out: JUNE! This Saturday we will commence on 6 scheduled races in 4 weeks. It’ll be a lot of racing and racing expense for one month. Of course it will be a lot of fun, and maybe even a little grueling. I’m sure I’ll be ready for a weekend off by the time July rolls around.
Disappointingly, the Satellite isn’t even really ready as I write this only 3 days away. The car has been unbelievably consistent over the past couple of years, but I’m currently chasing a fuel delivery issue. Pressure is both low and inconsistent. It cost me a round last time out. Assuming the mechanical pump was going bad, I replaced the mechanical pump last night, removing the Carter 6903 street pump with a 4862 race pump and regulator. If anything the problem got even worse. I’m now thinking the stock in-tank sock-filter is clogged up. I’ll pull it and assess tomorrow. If that’s not the issue, I have no idea what to even look at next. I’m upbeat though, I believe I’ll be ready come Saturday.
I’ll try to update this thread weekly on my month of racing. I start the month 11th in points after 2 races, out of over 70 entrants in the Pro E/T class. My goal is to be well inside the top 10 by the end of the month. So bring it on! It’s Boogity Boogity Boogity time. Let’s go Racing!

Lw , get a can of gas and run a tube into it run the engine. If pressure back up then you know for sure that the tank filter is clogged. Good luck at the track need to see those time slips.

go-get-em-tiger.jpg

When the schedule for Pacific Raceways Swift-Tool ET series came out a few months ago, one thing stood out: JUNE! This Saturday we will commence on 6 scheduled races in 4 weeks. It’ll be a lot of racing and racing expense for one month. Of course it will be a lot of fun, and maybe even a little grueling. I’m sure I’ll be ready for a weekend off by the time July rolls around.
Disappointingly, the Satellite isn’t even really ready as I write this only 3 days away. The car has been unbelievably consistent over the past couple of years, but I’m currently chasing a fuel delivery issue. Pressure is both low and inconsistent. It cost me a round last time out. Assuming the mechanical pump was going bad, I replaced the mechanical pump last night, removing the Carter 6903 street pump with a 4862 race pump and regulator. If anything the problem got even worse. I’m now thinking the stock in-tank sock-filter is clogged up. I’ll pull it and assess tomorrow. If that’s not the issue, I have no idea what to even look at next. I’m upbeat though, I believe I’ll be ready come Saturday.
I’ll try to update this thread weekly on my month of racing. I start the month 11th in points after 2 races, out of over 70 entrants in the Pro E/T class. My goal is to be well inside the top 10 by the end of the month. So bring it on! It’s Boogity Boogity Boogity time. Let’s go Racing!
If your sock filter isn't clogged, you need to check your fuel pump push rod.

If your sock filter isn't clogged, you need to check your fuel pump push rod.

I pulled it out and checked it when I changed fuel pumps. It looked and measured perfect. I have an auxiliary electric out back too. It’s running itself dry with both of those on. Both would appear to be in perfect running order. I hope I find a clogged sock..... we’ll see tonight.

LW I had fuel problems like a bugger too. It ended up being rust and scale in a filter. Tank was new, sump was new, everything was new, just assumed the filter couldn't possibly be dirty.. The hell where it came from, don't know. If all you got is a sock, it could be there.
Good luck!

Pulled the sending unit tonight; clean as a whistle. Traced the entire fuel line, found one spot where the E-brake cable was rubbing against it. Didn’t look like it was worn through, but I addressed it with a little JB weld and wrapped in tape just to be sure. Started the car, no changes. Ughh! Pressure gauge flutters like a humming bird and does not seem to react to regulator adjustment. Could it be that the gauge is just bad? .

I guess I’ll go racing on Saturday and if I get bounced early I’ll have all afternoon to keep chasing this deal.

Pulled the sending unit tonight; clean as a whistle. Traced the entire fuel line, found one spot where the E-brake cable was rubbing against it. Didn’t look like it was worn through, but I addressed it with a little JB weld and wrapped in tape just to be sure. Started the car, no changes. Ughh! Pressure gauge flutters like a humming bird and does not seem to react to regulator adjustment. Could it be that the gauge is just bad? .

I guess I’ll go racing on Saturday and if I get bounced early I’ll have all afternoon to keep chasing this deal.
----
Man I hope you find something. Nothing worse than having the car drop off at 3/4 track. Maybe I missed it, how much fuel do you have in your tank?

I still wonder if you use a gas can and run the engine does the problem stop. Or better yet use your electric pump with the gas can if all is good you may have a bad pickup in the tank. Just a thought. Good luck lw

Well, it was a weekend I won’t forget anytime soon. It was a Sat / Sun double header. I’ll try to recap Saturday here as quickly as possible:
Friday afternoon: Home from work and I start in on trying to figure out the issue. Bypass the mechanical pump with the plan to simply run on the electric. Start the car.... about 3 psi pressure. ughhh, that won’t work. But on the positive side, perhaps I’ve found the problem(??). Then I remember that I purposely bought a pump that was low pressure, high volume, since I knew it was just there to support the mechanical. So I then bypass and completely remove the electric pump from the equation in effort to simplify the system, and re-hook up the mechanical. With the mechanical, however; it’s back to the guage looking like a hummingbird. I also went and bought a cheap little pressure gauge to double check things..... Exact same deal there. So finally at about 11:00 pm, I decided I would load it up and just see what it did.
Saturday: off the trailer, first run: pulls like normal through two gears but the pressure falls off and is at zero by mid track. Car runs to about 1000 ft and runs out of gas. Let out of the throttle and it comes back immediately, but the gauge is again fluttering like a butterfly.
Back in the pits and I’m under the car tracing every inch of fuel line looking for anything that doesn’t look right. A buddy then says: you should run to the parts store and buy a bunch of rubber hose and just replace the line from tank to pump. I consider this and realize it’s doable. He says you can take my truck (I’m in my motorhome which is already all set up for the weekend. I take him up on the idea and off to the closest parts store I go. About a half hr later I return with 15 ft of rubber fuel line. This is where the day got better: within minutes, at least 4 or 5 guys are over at my pit asking what they can do to help. We had this job done in time for my second hit! Start the car..... same issue apparent at the gauge. Go to make my second time hit: same exact deal, if anything worse. Car runs strong through first, but coughs and falls on its face midway through 2nd. I let out, and again it picks back up and runs out the back strong !?!?
Back in the pits and again the group gathers around. One of my buddies is a known carburetor whisperer, and this issue has him stumped. Of course he runs a much higher dollar system, so my rudimentary deadhead carter pump setup is not exactly what he suggests anyway, but he’s willing to help and suggests looking at the carburetor. We pull the needle, all looks good, and he concurs that the floats are exactly where they should be. We also pull apart the regulator and inspect... all seems okay there. At this point.... I’m tired and out of ideas. Last idea: let’s just pull the regulator out of the equation. We do this and I see a little more steady gauge needle.... perhaps we have something? Who knows... “I’m just gonna throw a number on it that makes sense, put it in the beams, and see what happens. My buddy Aaron says, as he’s wandering back to his car to get ready for round 1: “You know you’ll go rounds today, right?” I laugh and chalk an 11.40 on the car. Let’s see what happens.
1st round: opponent goes red, LemonWedge runs a full pass for the first time today: 11.48 @ only 115. A decent run, but still a tenth and 3 mph slower than the data suggests. But a win is in the book! From there, it’s 3 more rounds, including putting a couple of heavy hitters on the trailer, and the big yellow Plymouth is actually somehow running pretty strong. Eventually, a 4th round redlight kills me, and I’m out at 9 cars (74 car field). But in the process, the car on its final run of the night runs a new best of 11.23 @ 118.95! WTF!?
Pretty unlikely success. But the part that stood out to me was the comradery and friendship that was on display from guys around me early in the day. I’ll forget the races someday, I’ll never forget the help I received.
I’ll hit Sunday and more in a separate post.

View attachment 781780

08CE4D19-E2DF-41D9-8B86-C3DFB169DDDA.jpeg

Last edited:
Man you sure made lemonaid out of lemons that day LW! Glad to hear you did so well! So what is your plan for the fuel system now?

What regulator were you running?

What is the mech pump output pressure?

What pressure did you set the regulator to?

What regulator were you running?

What is the mech pump output pressure?

What pressure did you set the regulator to?

It was a Summit brand regulator. Learning my lesson there I guess (??)

It would appear the output pressure is between 6 & 7 psi, but the gauge is bouncing and I don’t trust what I’m seeing. It’s a Carter M4862 “strip” pump. Supposed to put out between 7 & 9.5 psi.

Couldn’t ever set the regulator as the guage was bouncing and erratic, and did not follow the regulator adjustments.

I ordered some -8 braided line and AN fittings. I’m going to remove the hardline and replumb with all braided and correctly fitted. The hardline before was not flared, I had hose and clamps on the joints, so this is the way I should have done it to begin with I suppose. It worked for a while, but rubber hose with clamps could be leading to an “unsealed” system and could be the culprit. I have -6 line from the pump to the carb; the thinking being that reducing the line size in front of the pump should promote better and consistent pressure.

I’m also going to add back the electric pump at the rear, this time without the bypass line. It is a Carter P4600HP. This system worked great for a while, I’m still convinced it’s a sound system if executed properly.

Last edited:
It’s been many many years since I had a similar system on my car.

I have seen the bouncing gauge needle before....but I can’t recall seeing it on something with a regulator.

My current thoughts on running a regulator with a pump that puts out basically the pressure you’re aiming for without the regulator is....... it’s just another restriction in the flow.
I think the regulators just function better when there is a higher pressure differential between the two sides(in/out).

Be interesting to see how that regulator worked with 12-20psi on the inlet side.

Sunday was much less eventful.... although my first round loss was one to remember and learn from. I drew 2015 NHRA National Pro ET Champion, and multiple time track champion Robert Steffen. He’s a hitter of the heaviest order, and I knew I’d have to be on my game to get to round 2. The car ran the full 1320 once again in my one and only time run, although the fuel pressure guage was again on zero from 660 on. It went 11.31 which was right in line with the weather. A couple of hours later, the heat was rolling in and the DA was up a bunch. I dialed 11.36 to his 10.60. We were both dead wrong...... Monumental tailwind???? I’m not sure, but the race felt absolutely correct at the stripe and I was able to hold him off, only to look up and see the win light come on in the opposite lane. I’ll let the time slip tell the story (I’m in the right lane)

92874235-7FCA-411A-B199-DA6A3FEABDE8.jpeg

Hey LW. What carb are you running?

Lw picking on the big boys shame on you. I totally love it keep going that pretty light will be on your side real soon. You making the big boys work for it is worth a million bucks. They're back at the pits wondering how they had to really work their car to make the win.

Auto Transport Service
Back