• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Junk mail: at what point do you give up and just delete all?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting tired if having to spend time every day sifting through junk email messages just to see if any got there by mistake. Once in a while I find one that I read it move to my inbox. I have a Hotmail account I use for accounts I know I'll only use once in a blue moon. But if I just delete all junk mail without scanning who it's from first I may miss an important one. Like, the one from the Oklahoma Tax Commission a few years ago letting me know my tag would expire soon.

My 83 year old Mom never checks her junk mail folder or inbox. Mail piles up, I go through it with her and delete most of it. She had over 900 unread messages in her inbox, not counting the junk mail folder.

So, at what point do you just give up?

Just delete it all, if you owe someone they'll darn sure get back in touch. My wife has usually 600 plus emails in her inbox and I just deleted 800 spam and over 400 trash emails.

Just delete it all, if you owe someone they'll darn sure get back in touch. My wife has usually 600 plus emails in her inbox and I just deleted 800 spam and over 400 trash emails.
I did that, apparently, with the tag email. It cost me $200 in late fees.

I did that, apparently, with the tag email. It cost me $200 in late fees.
Smiley Eye-roll - good one.gif

I get a ton of "junk" also but like you I still get the occasional email that isn't "junk". My solution is a) I check the folder daily - that way I'm looking at only a few and b) to "block" the real junk.

And FWIW there are complete tech morons out there who haven't the brains to create folders. I have a friend who has over 15,000 emails in his "inbox" because he doesn't delete anything and doesn't know how to create folders.

that's why all my bills some thru snail mail. I refuse to do bills electronically.

The tag notice came as a surprise as I usually pay in person. The one time I renewed online they automatically switched all 4 vehicles to electronic notification.

Yeah, like the guys who send junk mail give a **** about "unsubscribe" !!

To put it bluntly….our society is so beyond normalcy….Truly it’s a shame where these junk and spam emails come from….I delete spam …..and redo it…..and redo it….to think people have nothing else better to do with their time……

Open the junk email and at the bottom many have a place to click to cancel any further junk mail.

If they want money or silly crap like that then flag as a Phishing scam and they won’t show up anymore either.

you have to spend a little time now to keep it away in the future. Make a list of the ones you dealt with so if you have multiples you can delete them.

I have Asperger’s syndrome, which gives me various degrees of OCD.
One of the things I obsess about is my in box. I’m serious. I clear it constantly, sometimes several times a day. My phone log is wiped immediately.
I can’t sleep unless I know I’ve wiped my inbox and call log clean. Dunno why, it’s just what it is.
My daughter wipes hers when the count reaches one hundred.
My wife never wipes hers, and consequently trying to find important messages on her stuff is futile.

Delete daily. Sometimes twice a day. Not a big deal.

I have 600+ on one account and 3 on the other. It's easier to keep up than it is to catch up!

I don't get much spam, why? Don't know. I unsubscribe any unwanted email I can. Fishing emails I report to my internet provider then delete don't click on anything in the email. Don't give my email to any website unless I really really enter it!

I just tried to unsubscribe from military earplugs email list. It was blocked by Cisco as a phishing threat.

See why I don't click unsubscribe?
Turn it in to the authorities then. LOL

BTW, I'm using Outlook for Android on my phone and Outlook for Windows 10 on my PC. That way I can manage folders and synchronize the accounts.

Auto Transport Service
Back