• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jury Duty

Dreamcatcher

Will fish for food
Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
I was put on jury duty for the month of February. I was so upset buy this. I had to report on Wednesday and was selected to sit on the jury for a trial. Man I was mad just because someone broke the law I had to suffer right along with them. Then as the trial started I decided as long as I have to do this I have to do it right. Then a defense lawyer came in dressed in his 1000.00 suit and his 100.00 hair cut and started bashing a state trouper trying to convince we the jury that he didn't do his job right. He was in my mind so disrespectful of this man. I felt like jumping up and smacking this guy. But after hearing both sides and deliberating with the other members of the jury. I now have changed my out look on having to be part of this. I was very impressed with the way that even though we had no choice in being there we took several hours to go over a case that should have been cut and dried from the start just to make sure our decision was right. People might not want to be there but they also want to do it to the best of their ability and that is something to be proud of. The only negative thing I took from the experience is that just as I had thought all along it is more about the dance when it comes to lawyers they (most of them) don't care how they go about it as long as they win. But if you look past them and just focus on the truth and proven facts justice can still prevail.

I've been selected for a jury twice, foreman once, both sexual assault. In both cases we found the defendants not guilty, unanimous once and 10-2 the second time; one of these 2 was a guy that insisted he was obviously guilty of "something" even if not sexual assault. wtf. The police officers did their jobs to the letter of the law. Unfortunately in our cases, there was a strong push to prosecute every sexual assault case, no matter the facts. The District Atty's in CA are elected officials and they were more playing the "get votes" card by being strong on sexual assault. As a jury, we felt let down by the prosecution system wasting our time on obvious cases that should have gone nowhere knowing we were the pawns for the next election.

I always get booted from the jury.
I just say He/She is here, He/She is guilty! Let's get on with it.

Well as being in Court not along ago and getting a crap jury I got screwed on my deal ! I really wish they would pay these people there wages at least ! The ones who wanted to leave were on my side the ones that live for this crap were definitely trying to get the lady out if trouble. Oh it doesn't matter if she hit him going 60 mph why playing on her phone ,and he had a back sugary and another scheduled ! He's fine ! Nothing from this accident affected him !

Mind you I was 100% fine before hand and this was show too!

Court system is ****! They need a better way ! Also the higher up Court systems won't even bother looking at my case !
I win 275000
My attorney 900000
There attorney 245000
Wtf!!!! Plus there attorney is trying to get some of my money !

This has been going on for 3 years or so since I won still no money!

We have room for improvement for sure. Your spot on about the system, it's not about if the person is guilty or not. The DA's today can have the grand jury indict a ham sandwich if the DA wants them to. It's a shame that the courts today only see in color... the color of your money or the color of your skin. You can get slam dunked for being at the wrong place or wrong time.... guilty until proven innocent.

I was called for jury duty and was inspected, infected, neglected and rejected....because I said I would follow the law and not what I thought or wanted.
The case was a couple going through divorce and the wife filed child abuse charges against her husband.
I got home and was talking to a friend and he named the couple! Then he told me I had met them at a party and during that party she told everyone who would listen she was filing sexual abuse charges to guarantee she got custody.
Well, he brought out the people she told this and she was charged with filing a false abuse claim.
Plus he got custody of the child.

After seeing how the system works, if I ever got in a jam with the law, I would think real hard about being tried before a judge rather than a jury. Juries can be manipulated by lawyers, judges not so much so.

Well as being in Court not along ago and getting a crap jury I got screwed on my deal ! I really wish they would pay these people there wages at least ! The ones who wanted to leave were on my side the ones that live for this crap were definitely trying to get the lady out if trouble. Oh it doesn't matter if she hit him going 60 mph why playing on her phone ,and he had a back sugary and another scheduled ! He's fine ! Nothing from this accident affected him !

Mind you I was 100% fine before hand and this was show too!

Court system is ****! They need a better way ! Also the higher up Court systems won't even bother looking at my case !
I win 275000
My attorney 900000
There attorney 245000
Wtf!!!! Plus there attorney is trying to get some of my money !

This has been going on for 3 years or so since I won still no money!
Did you mean your attorney got 90k? or 900k like you wrote? :eek:

My get out of jury duty line is, " Are your expert witnesses monetarily compensated for their opinion"

I've been on two juries. Spent more time in the jury room while the lawyers argued over how much of "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" we where allowed to hear, than in the court room hearing "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

I've been picked for jury duty several times
I get a summons about every 3-4 months, every year...
We live in a huge county 54,000 'small in' total population,
only about 1/2 are active voters, or old enough or too old :poke:
that's how they get you here, register to vote & no medical exemption...
So, (I know how some here, really hate it, someone starting a sentence with So :hifu:)
I guess my name keeps coming up...

Most the time, it's call a #, see if you have to report &
1/2 the time I don't, the other half it's hit or miss,
whether I'm selected or not...

I do it by a case by case deal...
I think it's my civic duty...
I was on the Civil Grand Jury before for a whole year too,
it was very enlightening, I sort of got in to it...

I've gotten out of jury duty, after being selected a couple times,
I was honest & told the judge my bias & why, when asked...
Other times I just served, usually just an afternoon, or a day or 2...

One went on for a week, can't really talk about it,
report 8:00am mon.- fri. court started at like 10:00 usually
breaks for lunch at 1-ish Pm, went to like 4-ish pm
finally let go/dismissed by about 4:30pm give or take

It was like $15 a day IIRC, something like $0.40 cents a mile
IIRC outside 10 miles from the courthouse...

or something like that

If you're a working stiff, it can put a cramp on your style & income...
Like me when I was self employed, when;
If I wasn't working, the $$$ wasn't coming in as much...

:usflag:

Last edited:
Lost count of how many I've been on over the years while others I know ignore a summons to appear over and over again. When I was working, my company actually paid for my time off and for years I thought going was interesting most of the time but it was the sitting and waiting to be picked or not that was starting to get to me. With Mr. Arthur Rightous taking over my back, sitting for long periods of time just wasn't very comfortable anymore so I got a medical exemption. Got a couple of stories to tell with one being a botched arrest by fed cops on a drug buy with hard core drug dealers that basically walked and another where the judge was a hanging judge with a like minded prosecutor (another drug case) and I was the only one that wasn't willing to throw the book at this kid and it pissed off the judge. The kid wasn't your typical drug crazed low life and looked to me like entrapment plus his lawyer sucked. With a better lawyer, he would have walked without anything imo but ended up getting 10 years probation. Told my peers that anyone that could make 10 years of that crap was a better person than anyone else sitting in the room......

I got a summons every year once I was listed as "Retired". The last time they had a question form to fill out. I filled it out "Truthfully". Never got a summons for jury duty again. Wonder what they don't like about me ? I even said I wanted to be a "Professional Jurist" ?? I don't know......

I used to get called up every two years like clock work. Served on a few juries. The last time - about 10 years ago I got pissed off at the judge and said something and was almost put in contempt of court. Bottom line they made me stay for an entire week and serve as an alternate then released me from the deliberations. I never got called again. It must have been a flag they put on my record that noted me as a wildcard. Fine with me.

I served one time, but before we went to trial, they settled out of court so I never saw the courtroom. Since my stroke (I have issues with comprehension at times) I have a permanent medical.

They kept selecting me for Jury Duty,even after I told them that I work in a prison, in direct contact with inmates out in the cell blocks on a daily basis. After 4 times of me telling them why I would not serve on a jury,they seem to have finally gotten the message!

I'm wondering how many here who have skirted jury duty consider themselves "good Americans".

Auto Transport Service
Back