• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jury imposes $1.7 billion verdict, largest in state history, against Ford

It'd be interesting to know what size tires the 3 stooges put on to cause a blowout?

“Butler said evidence showed the wreck was survivable and the Hills died because they were crushed by the truck’s roof”

Uh, no…you were crushed by the weight of the truck…

And look at big brother reaching in for a hand out:

”Three-quarters of the punitive damages go to the state of Georgia, per state law for product liability cases…”

FIGURES FORD WILL DRAG IT OUT & APPEAL

said;
80 other cases as evidence,
I'd suspect they met the burden of proof

probably 'Firestone' tires too, remember that ""alleged" debacle
& all the rollovers in Fords too

hope I never roll my 02 F350 4x4 Dually 7.3 Powerstroke :poke:
if I do I have a good case :poke:

Don’t have the WRONG size tires installed on your truck!

Sorry, NOBODY is worth that much. Period!

I don't know what a 2002 F250 is supposed to have for tires (and I'm too lazy to research it right now), but my 2001 Ram 2500 calls for 10 ply load range E - which I've always run on it. That doesn't excuse the roof collapsing, but might be a consideration for the crash.

Perhaps it hit a spot on the roof that got damaged rather quickly and that led to the collapse of the entire roof? Who know, but PepBoys installed the wrong size tires, that blow out caused the truck to roll. That is the underlying causality. How fast were they traveling? Going up hill, down hill, flat ground? Did it roll down an embankment?

I lost a high school buddy and fellow Veteran earlier this year, due to an up-rooted tree that crashed on top of him and his car on his way to work. Are we saying that vehicles should have crunch proof roofs so this doesn't happen?

About a year ago I FINALLY saw a tree down across a road and it just fell without any storm etc going on. I had went by that spot on my way to a town out in the country and on my way back, it was down. Hey, I have over size tires on my 2500 that Discount Tire installed. Dang. If one blows out, it will most likely be my fault since they are 16 years old :D

Why didn’t they sue the state for building the roads

I wonder how much went to lawyers. Typically its 33% plus all their time and expenses (at $500 an hour!).

I don't want to turn this political, but lot of people are concerned that either Democrats or Republicans are destroying this country. The problem is BOTH democrat AND republican lawyers and the Bar Association, the most powerful lobbying organization in the world. Every year, we Americans bear more and more costs that ultimately go to lawyers from overblown or frivolous lawsuits. For example, about half of your car insurance fees goes towards lawsuits (not medical bills or repairs). Every product or service you buy funds lawyers pockets. In addition, more and more of our freedoms are being legislated away due to these lawsuits. Will they now forbid us to put oversize tires on our hot rods?

It's got to stop...

Last edited:
It will be drug thru the appeals courts for years .
Until some kind of out of court settlement is made and it won't be anywhere near the said amount

I wonder how much went to lawyers. Typically its 33% plus all their time and expenses (at $500 an hour!).

I don't want to turn this political, but lot of people are concerned that either Democrats or Republicans are destroying this country. The problem is BOTH democrat AND republican lawyers and the Bar Association, the most powerful lobbying organization in the world. Every year, we Americans bear more and more costs that ultimately go to lawyers from overblown or frivolous lawsuits. For example, about half of your car insurance fees goes towards lawsuits (not medical bills or repairs). Every product or service you buy funds lawyers pockets. In addition, more and more of our freedoms are being legislated away due to these lawsuits. Will they now forbid us to put oversize tires on out hot rods?

It's got to stop...
When I was in private practice, in 1983, the rates established by the PA Bar Association were 25% for cases settled out of court, and 33% for cases won at trial. The client had to foot the bill for expenses - investigators, expert witnesses, etc. Now the going rate is 33% for settled cases, 95% don't go to trial, as much as 40% for trial. Hourly fees are the domain of the defense bar. Investors front the expense money for support services for plaintiffs in exchange for a cut of the action. Another twist I found interesting back in the day, was that the lawyer's percentage went down as the settlement amount went up. My boss at the time had a $400,000 case he settled, and netted 10%. Those days are long gone, and this has not made things better for the general public. I worked for the other side in my corporate life, and the amount of money that we paid in extortion for frivolous cases was nauseating. The American public is justified in holding the plaintiff's bar in low esteem, but if someone messes you up, you will want one of the good ones in your corner. Meanwhile, we all pay for the imperfect system. But not a fan of tort reform - proposed solutions would leave you in a bad place if you get seriously messed up. No simple answers to this mess.

When I was in private practice, in 1983, the rates established by the PA Bar Association were 25% for cases settled out of court, and 33% for cases won at trial. The client had to foot the bill for expenses - investigators, expert witnesses, etc. Now the going rate is 33% for settled cases, 95% don't go to trial, as much as 40% for trial. Hourly fees are the domain of the defense bar. Investors front the expense money for support services for plaintiffs in exchange for a cut of the action. Another twist I found interesting back in the day, was that the lawyer's percentage went down as the settlement amount went up. My boss at the time had a $400,000 case he settled, and netted 10%. Those days are long gone, and this has not made things better for the general public. I worked for the other side in my corporate life, and the amount of money that we paid in extortion for frivolous cases was nauseating. The American public is justified in holding the plaintiff's bar in low esteem, but if someone messes you up, you will want one of the good ones in your corner. Meanwhile, we all pay for the imperfect system. But not a fan of tort reform - proposed solutions would leave you in a bad place if you get seriously messed up. No simple answers to this mess.
Yes, we MUST have a rule of law or we don't have a civilized country - so my rant is not anti lawyer, per se. But we have gone too far, making the costs a terrible burden that all must carry...

Fords lawyers said it was cheaper to pay the lawsuits to the families of those who burned to death in Pinto's in the early seventies,than it was to recall the cars and install the tank shields on all the Pinto's! Karma is a bitch! Ford can suck it!

weak roof?...... it's sheet metal; unless a vehicle is built with a full roll cage, does anyone really expect to survive a roll over?

Fords lawyers said it was cheaper to pay the lawsuits to the families of those who burned to death in Pinto's in the early seventies,than it was to recall the cars and install the tank shields on all the Pinto's! Karma is a bitch! Ford can suck it!
That didn't really happen it was part of the phony story that Mother Jones made up. The memo that Mother Jones magazine used as proof was a memo that was completely unrelated to anything having to do with Pinto's.

During these months my Jeep doesn't have a roof. When it does its held in place by 8 small bolts finger tight and 6 latches. Ther is a "cage" but it's marginal. People will sue for anything these days to retire.

Auto Transport Service
Back