• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought ‘67 Charger factory 440 survivor...

Beatcreature

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
So after my father kept badgering me to drive my Barracuda I found a beautiful ‘67 Charger with matching numbers 440. Rebuilt front end and now drives great. Having some issues with speedo, tach, and temp gauges not working. Also lights don’t flip though I’m told motors were rebuilt 2 years ago. Not sure where to start. Any info is appreciated and you’ll be making a old man happy! He’s turning 70 in October so I’m trying to have it ready for him. I’m in Hudson Valley, NY if anyone is local I’m happy to pay for some knowledge and assistance.

Welcome from Ky. Glad you're here.:luvplace:Speedo cable might just need lubing. As for gauges, start with voltage limiter behind the dash, then check wiring at the bulkhead connector. Check any and all ground connections. I"M 72 so I know he'll love it.

:welcome: from the foothills of NE Tennessee!

First things first on the Charger - a factory service manual is mandatory. Find one and buy it!

Welcome from Ionia, NY.
Sounds like a nice one, we will be needing pictures.

x2 on pics

I've rebuilt/restored over 400 66/67 Charger Instrument Clusters. You have a set of points inside your fuel gauge that open and close to simulated 5V DC which is what your fuel, temp, and oil pressure use as reference voltage. The other side of the gauge is connected to your sending unit and provides variable resistance. After 50 plus years, those points are most likely sticking and the 5V becomes 8 or 9 or more. There is insulated nichrome wire wrapped abound a bimetal strip inside the gauges. Once 5V and resistance is applied, the bimetal strip bends and its attached to the gauge pointer. Pretty simple electromechanical setup. Once the voltage excceds 5V, the insulation starts to burn off the bimetal strip. First the gauge loses its calibration, enough over voltage and the wire burns in two or shorts out and no gauge function.

Be happy to help, my website is www.thegaugedoc.com.

Thanks and congrats. An original 440 67 is rare!

Mark

Oh and the theheadlightmotorman.com, Chris McGinnis is the guy to fix your headlight rotate issues...he is in NC, I'm in TX...

Mark

Welcome.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^
(Welcome wagon)

Headlight help to see if it is bad motors.
http://www.chargersourceguide.com/headlights.html

what color is the Charger??

:xscuseless:

welcome dad is a lucky guy those sights that have been posted have every thing. pictures please

Thanks guys! It is the original blue color though it was resprayed 2 years ago by previous owner. I will pull it out if the garage tomorrow and post a bunch more pics

IMG_20180713_111159870_LL.jpg IMG_20180713_111219294.jpg IMG_20180713_111242347_LL.jpg IMG_20180713_111309614.jpg

that is a sharp looking car
its a shame they don't get more love out there.
good luck with it.

For an original 440 car, the VIN will start with XP29L with the "L" indicating an original 440 Magnum engine car.
For 67, only 660 Chargers came so equipped, so you may have stumbled upon a fairly rare car.
Good luck and show and tell more when you can.

It does start with XP29L. Engine/tranny are largely original except carb and valve covers, and rebuilt when car was painted 2 years ago.Bought on Ohio/Michigan border in July. Here's a few more pics from today. I hope to dig in to the electrical a bit more this weekend but tomorrow is my 40th so I'm not doing anything but drivin' and enjoying!

IMG_20180830_162350595.jpg IMG_20180830_162326691.jpg IMG_20180830_162301583.jpg

Howdy from NJ. I have a brother who lives in Beacon, not far from you !!! Nice ride. I love the back of your car. Very sharp !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back