• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just changed to edelbrock avs thunder series carbs

SUPERSTOCKRACER

Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
i just switched out my 800 edelbrock afb performer carbs to the thunder series avs edelrock 800's.
they seem to react real nice at idle and response.
going to try them out tomorrow at the track. i went richer on the secondaries for the 1st time. i always went square or a little richer on primaries.
acording to my o2 alert a/f setup, im showing a tad lean lon wot, i think a little richer might get me some more mph, i hope.

Being that you can adjust the sprind tention on the AVS real easy, you should pick up some MPH and lower your time. How much? IDK, but I'm awaiting your results!

Being that you can adjust the sprind tention on the AVS real easy, you should pick up some MPH and lower your time. How much? IDK, but I'm awaiting your results!

do you have any experience with these carbs?
i was wondering if if out of the box tension is correct?
or loosen spring tension or tighten it up.
heres a few pictures of the new setup.

EDELBROCKAVS800CARBSCHUCKSINTERIOR002.jpg

EDELBROCKAVS800CARBSCHUCKSINTERIOR003-1.jpg

Last edited:
really wanted to try and get out today vto test these carbs and the new jetting but its pouring rain here, started at 7:00 AM and still raining. guess we will see next saturday at Lebanon Valley.
EDELBROCKAVS800CARBSCHUCKSINTERIOR003-1.jpg

It's said to rain allday today into tomorrow until the afternoon. I'm on the Island.

I have used a few of the OE - AVS carbs. 2-1/2 turns is about where you want to start after you get the jetting right.

well, it didnt work out too good off the hit, secondaries came in way too late, big bog off of hit but still managed a 1.37 60 foot. ran 9.89 @135.45
i pulled them off and went with my old carbs, 60 foots were 1.34-1.35 all day.
i reset the secondaries to open up earlier, going to give them a try next time out.
65hemiatlebanonvalley42410PIC3.jpg

do you have any experience with these carbs?
i was wondering if if out of the box tension is correct?
or loosen spring tension or tighten it up.
heres a few pictures of the new setup.

Ah crap, I missed this.

Actuallllly, not those carb exactly, the OE carbs I have exp. with. With your set up, these carbs are going to need a bit of tuning. There not really intended for what you have.

well, it didnt work out too good off the hit, secondaries came in way too late, big bog off of hit but still managed a 1.37 60 foot. ran 9.89 @135.45
i pulled them off and went with my old carbs, 60 foots were 1.34-1.35 all day.
i reset the secondaries to open up earlier, going to give them a try next time out.

Ahhhh, the joy of tuning. Try a half turn tighter on the secondaries.

Ah crap, I missed this.

Actuallllly, not those carb exactly, the OE carbs I have exp. with. With your set up, these carbs are going to need a bit of tuning. There not really intended for what you have.

Ahhhh, the joy of tuning. Try a half turn tighter on the secondaries.

wouldn't tighter make them open up even later. i thought i need these to open up very early because im at WOT off the hit. i need all i can get for a great 60 foot.

65hemiatlebanonvalley42410PIC2.jpg

Yes, your 110% right, I typed it in reverse. Tighter ='s later opening. Sorry about that blunder. But it's still a half turn I'd suggest.

What kind of air cleaner/ filter is in use?

Yes, your 110% right, I typed it in reverse. Tighter ='s later opening. Sorry about that blunder. But it's still a half turn I'd suggest.

What kind of air cleaner/ filter is in use?

none, straight open there isnt any room under the hood scoop.
going to give them a try again with new settings. i know these things have got to work!

65hemiatlebanonvalley42410.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back