• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just curious....Are 1970 Charger fenders longer than the 68 & 69 cars?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 Charger and it looks like mine is longer. If one were to measure on top from the cowl to the outer edge of the bumper, is there much of a difference?
No big deal either way, I was just wondering.
00000032 (2).JPG

Never really measured but I think they might be a tad shorter as is the hood. Got that bumper to consider Ya know. Nice color though, what is it? MM1?

Mine is Flame Red, a color code pulled from a 2002 Ram pickup I had when I was restoring the car. You can see the truck to the right edge of the picture.
00000004 (2).JPG

It just seems like these fenders are longer. I am tempted to take measurements and compare.
CH headlight.jpg

All 68-70 chargers are longer by about 4"

My fenders are off my 70, do you need me to measure?

Post up the measurement of the 70 and i or somebody can measure on a 68. Show where you measured so we can duplicate it. I have always thought the 70 looked longer in the front.

68 measured along the top edge

20180212_142510.jpg

Post up the measurement of the 70 and i or somebody can measure on a 68. Show where you measured so we can duplicate it. I have always thought the 70 looked longer in the front.

Interesting findings....
ChargerSteve PM'd me and wrote that his '69 Charger fender measured 64 1/2" from the top bodyline to the point near the grille.
PP1RT above shows a similar number.
My 1970 measures the same 64 1/2" across that top bodyline PLUS the rubber gasket/pad and the bumper. I think the reason the 70 front looks longer is because to the outside of the bumper, it measures 67". The filler rubber piece plus bumper extend 2 1/2" further than all fenders 68-70. The bumper being mounted fully around the fenders and valance give that extended appearance.
Now, measuring in the middle of the hood from the cowl, forward to the bumper, I get 57 1/2". The lower edge of the bumper sits out a little further for some reason. If a 68 or 69 had bumper guards, they might actually be a little longer than a 1970 model.
Mystery solved. Thanks my friends!

I measured from the point of the fender at the door, the top body line where it transitions from the side to the top.
No Intro 12.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back