• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just one of those day!!!

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
Just need to vent. I was taking her out for a ride at a local cruise night. Like always I check everything before I leave. All ok, I'm about 15 miles along & I start running hot,- 195'. I start looking for a place to pull over & now 205'....No leaks ,all looks good , Thinking thermostat stuck or radiator cap is n-g. Now she won't start. Man just one of those moments in front of everyone. Have spare cap 16' replace. Finally she start & temp is good at 180.?? few hours later heading back she is running 195'. 20 miles into trip. I'm about 2 miles from my house & she good at 180 again.... :icon_pray:

Why does your car give you grief for no apparent reason then go back to normal? I see that you call your car a "she". That explains it!

I know you weren't really looking for advice. But could your lower radiator hose be collapsing at higher speeds? So then you get to the cruise and close to home (presumably driving slower) and magically everything is better.

Pop the hood, rev her up and hold it around 3-4k and watch the lower hose.

What temp do you normally see? I see 210 alot in traffic, stop lights. With a16 lb cap and overflow I don't have any coolant loss.I run a 180 stat.

I checked lower radiator hose. 70rr-brian was correct it was collapsing at high speeds. Change both hoses,cleaned fins . Radiator flush & anti-frezze. it was on my to do list for my winter projects. temps running at 180 to 195. I have a 180 stat & 16 cap, with no coolant loss.

70rr- great that you stepped up and took the time to give advice unsolicited. It will probably help others who read this post in the future too...another reason why these forums are awesome...

Hell I'm just glad to help. Everyone here is always helpful when I need it. Just glad to give back where I can.

Auto Transport Service
Back