• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Ordered.....Now what to do with the OLD HEADS??????

cr8crshr

Local time
2:34 AM
Reaction score
440Source Heads for my 66 Ply Sat 383 project. I am stoked about it.....:blob1::blob1::blob1: I have been following the newer Aluminum Head offerings ever since their intro to the MOPAR world but haven't made the plunge for one reason or another. Should be here by the end of the week or the first of next week. I will have my machine shop inspect them first and then a slight cleaning up and a spring swap then bolt them on. Now I have to figure out what to do with the 516's that were re-worked as most feel they are nothing but Boat Anchors anyway. But these should be of some use to someone I would think.....:headbang::headbang:

I'd like to have them but shipping would sux to Houston....

Hey cr8, do those 516's have hard seats?

Cranky, shipping might only be $35.00 per head. I mean that's not dirt cheap, but not bad either. I'd consider them if they have hard seats and the fact I'm 45 mins from cr8.

Yep...Hardened seats, new springs, keepers, retainers and locks, new valves too. The exhaust was punched out to 174 size too. Maybe have 30 minutes run time on them as well. Stay tuned and I and you can work out a deal. If you want a shipping quote, I can work one up. Meep...Let me get the new ones and the engine put back together before we go any further on them if you are really interested. I can also head down to your neck of the woods too. Would be nice to see the old "Missile Base"...cr8crshr/Tuck

lmao, how much you wanna bet I see those in meep's swap meet section next year at Fremont? lol

Actually I don't care where they end up as long as I can get rid of them. Out of site/out of mind with me. Just that much less I need to lug around from show to show or place to place. That being said...Yesterday I inspected the new 440 Source Heads and was extremely impressed with their offering. I had to "Mock" them up a few times to clearance the push rod sleeves for the Exhaust side. This was spelled out in the initial instructions that came with the heads. No problems there as I was able to get them opened and looking really good. The fitment of the rocker arms and shafts...using the old from the 516's...fit excellently and better than on the 516's. Today I will get the second head done and mounted. All in all, I am real pleased in the offerings of 440 Source. I have seen Indy's and Edlebrock's offerings in the past, and for my budget mindedness, these heads are just as well made and produced as the other offerings at a fraction of the cost. And the weight savings??? At my old age I like being able to lift and handle the new ones over the old. The old just cannot give me anything better. After all the research I've gone through on this engine build, this is one of the best steps I have taken. Just cannot wait till the fire up. Stay tuned for that....

Getting some head ?? ....LOL.... They are good for the price, good luck, with your new venture... I hope this one works out better for ya... I assume these will be "out of the box" port configurations {no porting or bowl work} with just valve spring changes, to match the camshaft spec.'s, push rod clearances & checked out by the machinist, for a mild performance build ??... Have fun dude you've earned it...

Getting some head ?? ....LOL.... They are good for the price, good luck, with your new venture... I hope this one works out better for ya... I assume these will be "out of the box" port configurations {no porting or bowl work} with just valve spring changes, to match the camshaft spec.'s, push rod clearances & checked out by the machinist, for a mild performance build ??... Have fun dude you've earned it...

At my age that would be quite a THRILL Budnicks...... :icon_bounce: Oh...You mean HEADS as in Plural!!!!

Out of the Box is correct. No porting or Bowl blending at this time. Maybe at a later date but for now just out of the box. The valve springs are the same...Comp...as I have on the 516's and the rating is the same for my cam as my Intake lift is 0.506 and the Exhaust is 0.523. 440's springs are rated up to 0.600 lift so I am well below that. Bronze Valve Sleeves are spot on and like I said I got the push rod clearances done today. Now the question is to Paint the Aluminum MOPAR Turquoise or go with VHT Aluminum Paint...Decisions Decisions....

Auto Transport Service
Back