• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K-Frame Cradle

TX67RT

Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
Hello - When I pull the driveline out of my R/T for restoration, I plan to leave the K-frame, front suspension, engine and transmission on the floor, and pick the body up off of everthing. It seems to be the easiest and quickest way to get everything out.

Does anyone have a sketch for a K-frame cradle that works well for them? I hate to reinvent the wheel if someone has a recommended design.

Thanks!

JD

You mean like this....

DSC06568_zps63c5affc.jpg

to do this....

DSC06456_zps758f1588.jpg

I'll get some dimensions for you shortly if that's what you are looking for :)

Yes, that's the ticket. No big hurry on your part; I won't be ready to start the project until this summer. But, I plan to go ahead and build the cradle ahead of time so that I have it ready when it's time to start.

Thanks!

JD

Cool, I'll do a sketch in feet/inches and metric also for all to use. I used castors with brakes just in case the thing would get away...but it hasn't ever done that.

Kiwi: I would love to see the sketch/dimensions too, since I need to drop out the K frame cradle in he next couple or months.

Many thanks!

Hawk

I built this one......... It also serves as a test run stand. I'm working on a patent for it. You start the engine right on the K frame. After everything is dialed in, simply remove the modules. Then you can use it to install the engine in the car. I've started making jig fixtures to make all parts identical. I also have a friend with a CAD CNC machine who can produce a lot of identical parts for me if production gets going like I hope it will.

It's fully adjustable and will hold anything from a Hemi to a slant six.IMG_0137.jpgDSC03618.JPG

Also for those that don't have any materials or funds to build a k frame cradle you can use 2 furniture dolleys. I did, and just lowered the car on top.

Here is the engine cart I made up. I am able to lift the front of the car using the engine crane and roll the complete engine under it. Super easy and does not require a lift.IMG_1655.jpg

I used three Harbor Freight furniture movers with a few pieces of 2 x 4 and 2 x 6 screwed together that connected them and it worked great (cheap and multi-purpose). We were installing a small block in my friend's Duster. I plan on doing the same thing on my GTX. I have pictures, but not at home. I'll attach some tomorrow.

Meep meep, That stand looks great. I just took my 440 out from above and it was tight, I'm thinking of installing it all together like in your pic and. Also plan on just using a engine crane to lift the front of the car, do you prop the rear up at all when installing the assembly?

My approach is a combination of the above. The engine stand has the K member bolted to it from underneath, just like the car.
engine stand.JPG

Then this jig
motor jig.jpg

Attaches to this motorcycle/atv lift
engine lift.JPG

The engine can be run on the test stand and then picked up, dropped from under the stand, wheeled under the car and installed. The advantage here is that the atv lift can meet the car half way and the handle makes it quite maneuverable.
440 install.JPG

My approach is a combination of the above. The engine stand has the K member bolted to it from underneath, just like the car.
View attachment 161689

Then this jig
View attachment 161691

Attaches to this motorcycle/atv lift
View attachment 161692

The engine can be run on the test stand and then picked up, dropped from under the stand, wheeled under the car and installed. The advantage here is that the atv lift can meet the car half way and the handle makes it quite maneuverable.
View attachment 161693

Id really like dimensions for that stand very cool.

Let me tell you - there are some really ingenious people around. Several cool solutions, all different, all good! :VB toast:

Here are some rough sketches I made tonight.
The material I used was Galvabond mild steel square tube - 40mm sq - approx 1-1/2"
The castors are swivel type and have brakes also. Low maintenance - it lives outside mostly.

Enginecradle_zps79edb99d.jpg

Enginecradletop_zpsba8ed647.jpg

Enginecradlerear_zps09c909ac.jpg

It was designed to carry my 440 and transmission for long periods - in fact during the initial restoration, it sat on this cradle for about 2 years. I also designed it to carry the K Member and keep the entire assembly at marginally above stock height as if it were in the vehicle - and level at the same time. This made removing engine and trans easy, as well as re-installing. Although I showed pics using a 4-post hoist, the engine and trans were installed in a single car garage using an engine lifter to raise the body. I saw this in a USA MoPar magazine many years ago, and the idea stuck. It was one of those Roger Gibson Elephant motor detail articles for a Superbird. :) This was my car after the restoration paint was completed - sequence showing the engine re-installation;

img115_zpsa355001f.jpg

img116_zpsc864ab24.jpg

img118_zpsbe9393e7.jpg

img117_zpsf951df42.jpg

img114_zpsd1918f24.jpg

img120_zpse10e7fc7.jpg

img121_zps9fdf8283.jpg

db2c4912-bb4d-4bb9-af1b-36469deb0836_zps69ecdb5c.jpg

img122_zps3ee1c82d.jpg

Hope that helps someone out :headbang:

Forgot to mention that this cost me $100 at the time to have it made, including the wheels. A very cheap and effective tool to have. It has been used about 6 times now with different cars.

Those are some awesome ideas and set ups, this is what I put together with some square tubing.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,456
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,476
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,456
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg