• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K frame i.d.

Rob Vaughn

Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell if this is a small or big block k frame?
65 coronet 440

20220807_203416.jpg

20220807_203356.jpg

It is a V-8 K-frame. Either small block or big block will bolt right in. There were also slant six and Hemi K-frames with quite different mounts.

It is a V-8 K-frame. Either small block or big block will bolt right in. There were also slant six and Hemi K-frames with quite different mounts.
Didn't Schumacher make mounts to put a big block in a small block k frame?

On the B body line, the K members were usually as follows:
1) Slant six.
2) ALL V8s except Hemi.
3) Hemi V8.
For the A body line, the V8 K members were designed for the LA series only. Schumacher did make conversion mounts to put a B-RB in an A body using a V8 K member.

You need to have the proper steel engine mount brackets for your choice of engine. The rubber mount isolators will bolt to either small block or big block steel brackets and drop right on to the V-8 crossmember. I have done a number of these engine swaps before I ever heard of Schumacher.

On the B body line, the K members were usually as follows:
1) Slant six.
2) ALL V8s except Hemi.
3) Hemi V8.
For the A body line, the V8 K members were designed for the LA series only. Schumacher did make conversion mounts to put a B-RB in an A body using a V8 K member.
How was it that LA k members were different that they wouldn't accept a,big block?

I guess you never stop learning,
I can't believe I never ran into this before.

I have done these swaps on 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1969 B-bodies with no problems. Maybe A-bodies and E-bodies are different? I don't know, because I don't work on them.
If you are pulling a small block out of a B-body, separate the rubber isolators off the steel engine brackets and save them. Do not mix up left and right. Your intended swap big block needs to have the steel mount brackets on it. Remove any rubber isolators, and install the ones you have saved from the small block that matched your K-frame. Your big block will now bolt right in. Guarantied.
I did my first small block (Poly 318) to big block (383) swap in a 1962 Dart B-body in 1967, long before there were Mopar magazines explaining how to do it. Just a matter of noodling it out myself using factory parts. I once did two engine swaps in one day. I pulled a 383 out of a donor 1964 Dodge to put in my 1963 Dodge 440. Then I pulled the 318 Poly out of my 1963 and installed it in the '64. I finished up by putting the 383 into my '63. A long day in 1970. Sadly, those days are long behind me.

Last edited:
Wait a minute so I don't need to worry about finding a "big block" K frame for my project?

1974 dodge charger with 318 in it currently but will be dropping in a 400 stroker. So I just need the proper engine mounts? Either aftermarket poly or factory ones done like Dave mentioned? I am positive the 400 i bought has the metal brackets still on it and all OEM stuff should still be in the car.

Wait a minute so I don't need to worry about finding a "big block" K frame for my project?

1974 dodge charger with 318 in it currently but will be dropping in a 400 stroker. So I just need the proper engine mounts? Either aftermarket poly or factory ones done like Dave mentioned? I am positive the 400 i bought has the metal brackets still on it and all OEM stuff should still be in the car.
I am talking about early B-bodies with flat mounts. I am not sure about later cars with spool mounts, as I have not worked on them. Someone else can likely answer that question.

The 73-74 models are their own unique animal.

73 and up do have small and big block K frames, as pictured below. The difference is the drivers side mount.

1659989557010.png

1659989527892.png

While some people have managed to put a big block in a small block K frame, this tends to cock the block, and cause alignment and fit issues. The other option is the Schumacher motor mounts.

Mark

Okay. I have no issues buying the Schumacher mounts, or even fabbing my own as long as the small block K frame is fine to use. As I see they are not in stock.

I am confused. I thought OP was talking about 1965 B-body K-frame. Now '73?

Yes. You.
The reference to Schumacher conversion mounts implies spool mounts. 73 and up.
Well that's not what I meant. If you look at my original post you will see they are not spool mounts . I thought there was a small block k and a big block k and they made special mounts to fit a big block on a small block k frame . Specially the 70 and older, sorry for the lack of info.

Well that's not what I meant. If you look at my original post you will see they are not spool mounts . I thought there was a small block k and a big block k and they made special mounts to fit a big block on a small block k frame . Specially the 70 and older, sorry for the lack of info.
That's no problem. But to add to the discussion, the 62-65 had their own mounts.
66-72 bbodys, and 70-74 ebodys had the newer style mounts. The whole k member is swappable between these . But each have differences.

Okay. I have no issues buying the Schumacher mounts, or even fabbing my own as long as the small block K frame is fine to use. As I see they are not in stock.

Just to mention, Schumacher has been out of business for quite some time now, unless They have reopened ?

Auto Transport Service
Back