• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K Frame isolator replacement

Charlied

Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
Realize this task is well above my skill level and tools. All (4) isolators are intact but showing age. Talked to local reputable repair shops, but most seemed reluctant to do it. One shop said yes, labor about $400 . I have all new isolators and hardware. Wondering if it worth doing or just leave it. Afraid maybe opening a can of worms.
Any opinions ??

$400 is not a bad price for that job.

What year car? Is that just one bolt per isolator?

If the bolts aren't rusted into the frame thats a quick and easy job. Loosen one front or rear bolt. Then take the remaining bolt out on the same side. Pry the K frame down and replace the insulator. Then start the bolt and do the other insulator the same way. Tighten it up. Go to the other side and repeat the process.
Doug

It’s too bad that you already have the rubber isolators. There are places out there that have solid isolators which helps the handling in those cars. The solid ones from Mopar were cast iron but the aftermarket ones were machined out of aluminum.

If there’s any rust, it can get can of wormy.

I’m wondering about those guys changing to solid mounts if they REALLY are in need of that. Most of user doesn’t even use these cars as a driver but just some hundred of miles per year

I would stay with rubber… poly as much, never solid. Comfort is something also valuable.

My 74 has been always a driver and I still appreciate the rubber mounts on it, saving partially the road irregularities. I’m working on a more stable ride, cornering, stiffening the subframe, but regular road irregularities can be still saved with the rubber mounts.

Biggest issue could be the rear mount areas as they are prone to rust. Once it comes apart it will need to be repaired which could blow that $400 quote out the window... Personally it's an easy job if you have a place to do it and it's not rusted I would just do it myself and save the $$.

Auto Transport Service
Back