• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K Frame stiffening plates - Who has installed them? Any pitfalls or recommendations

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
Any members here want to share opinions, warnings, tips or suggestions on the K frame and Lower control arm stiffening plates skid plate?

I have an extra K frame and LCA set I want to do the stiffening up work to before paint and install w/ front rebuild and swap to disc brakes in my hot rod. Anyone in the greater Belleville, IL area know how to weld and want to make a few bucks?

Plan is to get complete front suspension freshened up while I have the engine and trans out of the car and possibly re-install all of it as a unit from underneath. I think I can handle the front end re-assy but don't weld.

Also thinking about going to Firm Feel II PS box at the same time.

Opinions and observations welcome

I would do it for ya, but shipping those bad boys to Ca. would be $$$. After its all done and the FF box, you will be amazed at the difference. Also, use the 11/16 tie rods and solid sleeves as they are a direct bolt on.

I used the K-frame kit from Firm Feel and the lca plates from PST. Both installs are very straightforward and simple to do.

I spent a weekend cutting metal and welding to gusset up the K-frame, make a hemi style skidplate and making LCA stiffening plates. While at it I seam welded the entire K-frame. I haven't put it into the car yet, but I had fun doing it and it looks cool sitting on the floor waiting for the engine to get installed.

I'm also going with the 11/16 tie rod ends and the PST adjusting sleeve but sticking with the factory manual steering box with the long steering and pitman arms.

I had as far as the gusseting and skid plate....I had all the material laying around so all I was out was time. The trick is to make all your templates out of cardboard first to get the fit right.

I would do it for ya, but shipping those bad boys to Ca. would be $$$. After its all done and the FF box, you will be amazed at the difference. Also, use the 11/16 tie rods and solid sleeves as they are a direct bolt on.

I still need to get my parts so you can help me! lol had to buy the wife a new stove f##$in thing cost me $1200 gunna do the disk brakes first then the basic suspension from PST prob at the same time just gotta gather parts with $$$

tallhair I heard you only need to use the stiffening plates if you use tubular uppers and plan on pro touring the car?

Got tubular uppers, re-inforcement plates, stage 3 gear box, and rebuilt P/S pump from FF. Their customer service is really good. Got adjustable strut rods from P-S-T with same service. Everything fits like a glove. Then for my liking, had the whole K powder coated. Used RPM on all parts that are to be bare I.e tie rods, end links, center link etc.

Call around your area to possibly source out the welding. Some welding places the employees might do some welding on the side for a little extra cash so the boss won't know. That's the case with me and I also gained a good friend. My friend also went around the whole K and welded everything. Bottom line, word of mouth could go a long way.

One of the best things you can do to any K frame is to solid weld it. I even Cut off the spot weld 'ledge' and got rid of some weight and opened up some room all around it. If you do that, leave tabs until you get some areas welded then cut the tabs off and finish up the welding process. Also, stitch weld it so you don't warp the hell out of it.

I spent a weekend cutting metal and welding to gusset up the K-frame, make a hemi style skidplate and making LCA stiffening plates. While at it I seam welded the entire K-frame. I haven't put it into the car yet, but I had fun doing it and it looks cool sitting on the floor waiting for the engine to get installed.

I'm also going with the 11/16 tie rod ends and the PST adjusting sleeve but sticking with the factory manual steering box with the long steering and pitman arms.

I had as far as the gusseting and skid plate....I had all the material laying around so all I was out was time. The trick is to make all your templates out of cardboard first to get the fit right.

Thanks dsd that's exactly why I was asking. Thinking maybe it would be better same some restification dollars for other stuff. Thought I'd give it a shot to see if there were any guys local that could do that since it's definitely beyond my skill set. I also appreciate your feedback. I'll go the with welding up the seems too depending on cost and who I find to do it. I got a line on a local guy from NAPA today that I'll call this weekend and feel him out for what he's comfortable doing and prices. Still would prefer a Mopar guy that has done this before but then again maybe he's a Mopar guy too ! :)

One of the best things you can do to any K frame is to solid weld it. I even Cut off the spot weld 'ledge' and got rid of some weight and opened up some room all around it. If you do that, leave tabs until you get some areas welded then cut the tabs off and finish up the welding process. Also, stitch weld it so you don't warp the hell out of it.

Thanks for the tips Cranky. Esp the stitch welding part. I've heard over and over about not over heating by welding in an area too long and wasn't even thinking about that when planning this. I was just thinking it's heavy hunk of metal .. this should be easy for someone who know how to weld. Really appreciate you grounding me on that one.

You totally lost me on the bold blue part that I emphasized there. I'm going out to the garage to see if I can figure out what you are talking about.

ninja edit: You mean the where it's sandwhiched together to form kind of a 1" lip right? I'll think about that one and discuss with the welder when I find one but I'm torn as i'd planned for it to look overall stock to the casual observer but that's as a very cool innovation. I was definitely thinking of solid welding the seam around the perimeter and anywhere else the two pieces are joined.

- - - Updated - - -

Got tubular uppers, re-inforcement plates, stage 3 gear box, and rebuilt P/S pump from FF. Their customer service is really good. Got adjustable strut rods from P-S-T with same service. Everything fits like a glove. Then for my liking, had the whole K powder coated. Used RPM on all parts that are to be bare I.e tie rods, end links, center link etc.

Call around your area to possibly source out the welding. Some welding places the employees might do some welding on the side for a little extra cash so the boss won't know. That's the case with me and I also gained a good friend. My friend also went around the whole K and welded everything. Bottom line, word of mouth could go a long way.

Sounds most excellent tor-red. I would like tubular uppers but don't have any canyons to cut through around here and can't really justify the expense of those unless my uppers are trashed. I did read that if they are stripped some folks spot weld the upper ball joints for secure them .. pausing between heat cycles and moving around.

I'm a little nervous about going to FF 2 as I don't want it too tight. Really wasn't even considering level 3. Are there any modern vehicles you could compare the steering effort of the FF3 to? I have a 98 Durango which is my current daily driver and a 08 Impala. Way tighter than those I imagine? My son has an 08 Honda Accord .. anything similar?

- - - Updated - - -

tallhair I heard you only need to use the stiffening plates if you use tubular uppers and plan on pro touring the car?

I hadn't heard that at all. Been hearing stiffening up the K frame was a generally great idea for about a decade or two before the kits were out though. Incidentally I read an article by E-berg years ago where he even added some stiffening to the rear X frame behind the rear seat to trunk area and I think other areas to reinforce the uni-body so that's in the back of my mind as well but that would be more of something I might do for the RR.

- - - Updated - - -

I used the K-frame kit from Firm Feel and the lca plates from PST. Both installs are very straightforward and simple to do.

Thanks elk. Does FF provide diagrams of where/how to mount them and any tips etc?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks brother. The 11/16's and solid sleeves are definitely happening. I drove my Dad's cop car back in the early 90's when it wasn't too old and it felt great so I'm anticipating a bit better than that with the FF 2 but hope it's not toooo much. BTW I think there's still a cop car FF box out in the garage somewhere along with probably 5 or 6 non cop car units so I may just inspect one of those and clean it up and try it if I can find one / figure out which one is a cop car unit and it's not wore out !

Here's a pic. Notice that the one on the left is 42 lbs and the one on the right is 26 but it still needs a bit of work and some added gussets but I think it'll end up being right at or just under 30 lbs. Lots of work but imo, worth it. It's not too hard to get rid of 10 lbs. It doesn't sound like much but every pound counts when you're trying to put one on a diet. The one in the middle was for a street car.
I got my 66 Belvedere /6 car with AC down from 3370 to 2950 and the AC was still on it and the K frame was still stock and so was most of the undercarriage. Glass hood, front bumper and some interior work did most of it. It still even had the 15x7 cop car wheels on it. The pic was taken on a day where it had been raining so it looks kinda bad....
MVC-020S-1.jpg

MVC-021S.jpg

scan0005.jpg

Here's a pic. Notice that the one on the left is 42 lbs and the one on the right is 26 but it still needs a bit of work and some added gussets but I think it'll end up being right at or just under 30 lbs. Lots of work but imo, worth it. It's not too hard to get rid of 10 lbs. It doesn't sound like much but every pound counts when you're trying to put one on a diet. The one in the middle was for a street car.
I got my 66 Belvedere /6 car with AC down from 3370 to 2950 and the AC was still on it and the K frame was still stock and so was most of the undercarriage. Glass hood, front bumper and some interior work did most of it. It still even had the 15x7 cop car wheels on it. The pic was taken on a day where it had been raining so it looks kinda bad....
MVC-020S-1.jpg

MVC-021S.jpg

scan0005.jpg

That's so cool Cranky! You put those things on serious weight watchers diet not to mention the additional ventilation going on there man.

Nice work brother !

Sorry the pics are not better but so far so good on the process.

Thanks elk. Does FF provide diagrams of where/how to mount them and any tips etc?

No info came with at all, I actually called them to tell them that would be helpful for a rookie like me lol. They were very helpful on the phone though.

No info came with at all, I actually called them to tell them that would be helpful for a rookie like me lol. They were very helpful on the phone though.

Thanks again brother. Did you happen to take any photo's of yours after it was welded up?

Thanks again brother. Did you happen to take any photo's of yours after it was welded up?

By golly I did. Here is what I could find easily. You will think it is way overpriced when you open up the box, and it probably is. But then I started thinking how much time it would take to make everything without a pattern. I also rewelded every joint on the k-frame- this will take a couple of hours, and it is definitely not lightning it up like Crankys' pics.
P3010001.JPGP3010004.JPGP3030009.JPGP3030012.JPGP3030013.JPGP3030015.JPGP3030017.JPGP3030018.JPGP3030020.JPGP3030021.JPGP3030022.JPGP3030023.JPGP3030024.JPGP3060025.JPGP3090047.JPGP3090048.JPGP3090049.JPGP3090051.JPG

Are you using the Firm Feel 11/16" tie rod ends?

That's some serious reinforcing!! I'll be doing a few things that's similar but nothing near to what you've done. Most of my work is geared towards drag racing and not corner burning but if you plan on doing some wheelies, then you should reinforce it like that lol. Great looking work too!

By golly I did. Here is what I could find easily. You will think it is way overpriced when you open up the box, and it probably is. But then I started thinking how much time it would take to make everything without a pattern. I also rewelded every joint on the k-frame- this will take a couple of hours, and it is definitely not lightning it up like Crankys' pics.
View attachment 146799

My goal is to get my welds to look like hunt2elk's welds . . . ok, half as nice as hunt2elk's welds would be nice . . . WOW . . .

Yep, 11/16 tie rods and stainless adjusting sleeves.

Auto Transport Service
Back