• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kansas Honor Flight #66

Wingfoot

Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
KHF-Challenge-Coin-1.jpg

The honor flight departed the Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport Wednesday, October 31, 2018 carrying one World War II veteran, five Korean War veterans and 32 Vietnam War veterans with their guardians to Washington, DC. The veterans enjoyed a two-night stay in the nation's capital, where the group visited the World War II Memorial, the Korean Veterans Memorial, Iwo Jima Memorial, the Navy Memorial, Air Force Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial. Additionally, the group toured the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, Ft. McHenry, and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

There was four Vietnam War veterans who laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier; one from each branch of the service. On this flight was brothers Butch and Ed Kee, who are both Vietnam War Army veterans. Butch is from Yates Center, and Ed is from Elkhart. Also on this flight was a female Vietnam War Navy veteran, Charlene Morris, who lives in Arkansas City.

The mission of honor flight was to transport America's veterans to Washington, DC to visit memorials at no cost to them, with current priority to World War II veterans. After the World War II veterans, efforts focus on Korean War veterans followed by Vietnam War veterans. Guardians, who pay their own travel expenses, accompany veterans to ensure safe travel. Contributions from the public provide funding for the trips.

Honor flights are organized by Kansas Honor Flight, Inc. The trips are made possible through a partnership involving Southwest Airlines, TSA, ABM Parking, Airport Concessionaires MSE Branded Foods & Paradies and the Wichita Airport Authority staff.

http://www.wichita.gov/News/Pages/2018-11-01c.aspx

My Vietnam veteran friend, Army Sergeant (SGT) Bill, is a 6'4" Man's Man who did one 14 month tour in the jungles of Vietnam and was a benefactor of Kansas Honor Flight #66. SGT Bill has been my friend since 1972 and the only story I ever heard from him about Vietnam was his night duty to do body-count during the 1968 Tet Offensive. SGT Bill now lives in Wichita, Kansas. He, with his beautiful wife, visited me last Saturday at my home and gave me goosebumps, while holding back his tears, telling me about his experiences on this 3-day Kansas Honor Flight trip.

Day 1, the Kansas Honor Flight #66 group met in the Wichita Airport lobby. Each benefactor was instructed to sit in a wheelchair and volunteers wheeled our heroes past TSA who stepped aside with respect! Southwest Airlines had their airplane ready to board upon the group's arrival at the gate and our heroes were the very FIRST to board the plane. Flight attendees insisted all benefactors sit in the front section of the plane. The Captain and his staff gave special attention with dignity to our veterans and treated the same as 1st Class riders.

upload_2019-4-21_18-49-37.jpeg

There was a plane change in St. Louis on their way to Baltimore, Maryland. The same procedure of wheelchairs, volunteers, first to be boarded on a waiting airplane, front section boarding and first class treatment was repeated for the final flight to Baltimore.

Our heroes were tour bused to Fort Meade and monuments in DC.

Day 2, our heroes visited all the military monuments in Washington DC. My friend SGT Bill personally knew a few veterans posted on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. Our heroes participated in the changing of the guard at the Arlington National Cemetery.

KHF-Veterans-National-Archives-Bldg.jpg

After a full Day 2, our heroes had supper at a Golden Corral Buffet. SGT Bill said this one was not your typical Golden Corral. SGT Bill had a succulent, perfectly cooked-rare steak that melted in his mouth.

mailcallwwii.jpg

After the meal, speakers addressed our heroes and announced MAIL-CALL! SGT Bill was handed an unsuspected stack of mail from friends and relatives. Each letter expressed love and thanks for their service. SGT Bill said no one saw that coming and told me that evening's MAIL-CALL brought him, and fellow attendees, to tears.................

Day 3, the trip home, the same procedure of wheelchairs, volunteers, Baltimore TSA stepping aside with respect, first to be boarded on a waiting Southwest Airlines airplane, front section boarding and first class treatment was repeated for the final flight to St. Louis for a plane change to Wichita, Kansas. Weather in Baltimore caused a huge delay for our heroes flight to St. Louis. Their St. Louis flight to Wichita had left an hour before our heroes arrived in St. Louis! The Southwest Captain made an announcement for our heroes to remain seated because they were going to shut the door and immediately head to the Wichita Airport!

When our heroes got off the Southwest Airlines airplane in Wichita, they were greeted by a double-sided pathway of uniformed Air Force personnel and the Band from Wichita's McConnell Air Force Base. The pathway led to a huge Welcome Home sign, the Kansas Honor Flight 'Welcome Home' staff/volunteers and all of SGT Bill's immediate family members! Vietnam Veteran SGT Bill experienced an overwhelming sense of closure and cried while being surrounded by his family............................

Awesome Trip for these veterans. It’s about time these hero’s are treated with RESPECT! Thanks for sharing this information.

Very near and dear to my heart. I served many years and you never see the Korean Vets honored! I have a neighbor who is a all American hero as far as I am concerned, served in the pacific in WWII, Korea, then in the beginning of Vietnam. all as a Marine Grunt!. I always give him my utmost respect!
Wing that post actually brought tears to my eyes!

Msgt, USAF/ USN (SW) Retired

Thank you for sharing the experience with us (and doing so in such a well-written and expressed manner), Wingfoot.
:thumbsup:

The honor flight departed the Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport Wednesday, October 31, 2018 carrying one World War II veteran, five Korean War veterans and 32 Vietnam War veterans with their guardians to Washington, DC. The veterans enjoyed a two-night stay in the nation's capital, where the group visited the World War II Memorial, the Korean Veterans Memorial, Iwo Jima Memorial, the Navy Memorial, Air Force Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial. Additionally, the group toured the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, Ft. McHenry, and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

There was four Vietnam War veterans who laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier; one from each branch of the service. On this flight was brothers Butch and Ed Kee, who are both Vietnam War Army veterans. Butch is from Yates Center, and Ed is from Elkhart. Also on this flight was a female Vietnam War Navy veteran, Charlene Morris, who lives in Arkansas City.

The mission of honor flight was to transport America's veterans to Washington, DC to visit memorials at no cost to them, with current priority to World War II veterans. After the World War II veterans, efforts focus on Korean War veterans followed by Vietnam War veterans. Guardians, who pay their own travel expenses, accompany veterans to ensure safe travel. Contributions from the public provide funding for the trips.

Honor flights are organized by Kansas Honor Flight, Inc. The trips are made possible through a partnership involving Southwest Airlines, TSA, ABM Parking, Airport Concessionaires MSE Branded Foods & Paradies and the Wichita Airport Authority staff.

http://www.wichita.gov/News/Pages/2018-11-01c.aspx

My Vietnam veteran friend, Army Sergeant (SGT) Bill, is a 6'4" Man's Man who did one 14 month tour in the jungles of Vietnam and was a benefactor of Kansas Honor Flight #66. SGT Bill has been my friend since 1972 and the only story I ever heard from him about Vietnam was his night duty to do body-count during the 1968 Tet Offensive. SGT Bill now lives in Wichita, Kansas. He, with his beautiful wife, visited me last Saturday at my home and gave me goosebumps, while holding back his tears, telling me about his experiences on this 3-day Kansas Honor Flight trip.

Day 1, the Kansas Honor Flight #66 group met in the Wichita Airport lobby. Each benefactor was instructed to sit in a wheelchair and volunteers wheeled our heroes past TSA who stepped aside with respect! Southwest Airlines had their airplane ready to board upon the group's arrival at the gate and our heroes were the very FIRST to board the plane. Flight attendees insisted all benefactors sit in the front section of the plane. The Captain and his staff gave special attention with dignity to our veterans and treated the same as 1st Class riders.

There was a plane change in St. Louis on their way to Baltimore, Maryland. The same procedure of wheelchairs, volunteers, first to be boarded on a waiting airplane, front section boarding and first class treatment was repeated for the final flight to Baltimore.

Our heroes were tour bused to Fort Meade and monuments in DC.

Day 2, our heroes visited all the military monuments in Washington DC. My friend SGT Bill personally knew a few veterans posted on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. Our heroes participated in the changing of the guard at the Arlington National Cemetery.

After a full Day 2, our heroes had supper at a Golden Corral Buffet. SGT Bill said this one was not your typical Golden Corral. SGT Bill had a succulent, perfectly cooked-rare steak that melted in his mouth.

After the meal, speakers addressed our heroes and announced MAIL-CALL! SGT Bill was handed an unsuspected stack of mail from friends and relatives. Each letter expressed love and thanks for their service. SGT Bill said no one saw that coming and told me that evening's MAIL-CALL brought him, and fellow attendees, to tears.................

Day 3, the trip home, the same procedure of wheelchairs, volunteers, Baltimore TSA stepping aside with respect, first to be boarded on a waiting Southwest Airlines airplane, front section boarding and first class treatment was repeated for the final flight to St. Louis for a plane change to Wichita, Kansas. Weather in Baltimore caused a huge delay for our heroes flight to St. Louis. Their St. Louis flight to Wichita had left an hour before our heroes arrived in St. Louis! The Southwest Captain made an announcement for our heroes to remain seated because they were going to shut the door and immediately head to the Wichita Airport!

When our heroes got off the Southwest Airlines airplane in Wichita, they were greeted by a double-sided pathway of uniformed Air Force personnel and the Band from Wichita's McConnell Air Force Base. The pathway led to a huge Welcome Home sign, the Kansas Honor Flight 'Welcome Home' staff/volunteers and all of SGT Bill's immediate family members! Vietnam Veteran SGT Bill experienced an overwhelming sense of closure and cried while being surrounded by his family............................

Very cool & thanks for sharing that...

well deserved honor

Thanks for posting. Respect and recognition long overdue. Kudos to Southwest Airlines too.

Auto Transport Service
Back