• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping Mice Out Of Car

AFB

Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried using an electric vibrator or solenoid with an on/off timer mounted somewhere on the "steel" (like the trunk floor) of their car? I'm getting ready to start "re-restoring" my RR and don't want any @#$% mice ruining it. :angryfire:

Ummm....... I'll leave the vibrator comment alone, but i'm sure you'll be having plenty of input on that.

I use bounce dryer sheets. Seem to work pretty dang good.

I store in a building, and am ruthless. rat poison! As long as they can't start a family, your good. Just keep pets away.

I've never heard of the vibrator trick... sounds like it could/should work...
I have heard of the dryer sheets before, I never knew if they actually worked or not...

A cat works well too, my neighbors cat "Tinker" is in my garage allot & as long as he doesn't piss or sent mark on my cars, he's always welcome to hang out...

we don't really have a mice/rat problem here thou & I'm backed up-to 60 open acres, a ton of wildlife up here....

I would wonder why you have mice/rats, in the 1st place ??, I know some areas are more prone to having them then others...

I've always used dryer sheets when my cars are in cold storage over a winter.

I've got some of these around to hopefully assist me with the reduction in mice population

sm_blacksnake.jpg

sm_snake.jpg

I know Prop . . . I'm not too keen on them either, but they also help keep away the Copperheads that are poisonous . . .

A few acres here, had a mice problem, now with all the stray cats, we don't have a mice problem, rabbit problem, bird problem, hmmm, sounds like we got a cat problem, not really, I like the sneaky bastages! Plenty of wildlife too, Raccoons, Opossums, Eagles, Owls, Coyotes, Groundhogs, Muskrats, Snapping Turtles, Blue Herrings etc. etc., damn near live in a zoo.

snakes too......

Exactly how do you use the dryer sheets?

Place a couple behind the dash, tucked under the springs on the bottom of the seats, one in each tail pipe, no particular right or wrong way, anywhere to keep them from chewing, under the hood near wires, or nesting, basically a storage trick, I wouldn't have them in a daily driver, unless you park in the country and it's a problem.

Last year I bought a car that had been sitting outside beside a shed on a farm since 89. The owner had placed mothballs everywhere. No damage whatsoever.

Place a couple behind the dash, tucked under the springs on the bottom of the seats, one in each tail pipe, no particular right or wrong way, anywhere to keep them from chewing, under the hood near wires, or nesting, basically a storage trick, I wouldn't have them in a daily driver, unless you park in the country and it's a problem.
Yes...I've also heard other remedies over the years, such as Irish spring soap bars, moth balls... dont know if they work, though. I guess it couldn't hurt, along with a couple of traps ?

- - - Updated - - -

Last year I bought a car that had been sitting outside beside a shed on a farm since 89. The owner had placed mothballs everywhere. No damage whatsoever.
Thanks, I just saw your reply after I did mine. I guess they work.

Cats seem to be the best solution like mentioned. I would put screens over the fresh air (cowl) drains if it were me while your working on it, I looked everywhere to see how they could get in while restoring mine and that's the only place I could find. I took expanded metal and bent it so I could just pop rivet it to the top of the opening and it would close it off. Unfortunetly the fender has to be off to do this.

The car has been "moth balled" in my shop for several years. Yes, they work great, but it takes a "llooooooong" time to get that smell out. Don't have any cats.........neighbor cat comes over, lies on the sidewalk, watches birds from 6 feet away............don't think he is energetic enough to help with mice. :sleepy3: I think as long as I'm actively working on the car, mice will stay away (keep rat poison in my shop). The plan is to have it finished by cold weather (unheated shop),.......then I'll follow up with suggestions above. Thanks.

My car had been sitting for at least 17 years. The little suckers had built quite a home in my heater box, chewing up the soft insulation that was glued under the cowl area inside the car - they didn't like the fiberglass, however. Then, when Apex (the guys doing my bodywork) were working on my trunk lid, they cleaned out all kinds of mice nest material from INSIDE the trunk lid. It's good they got that out of there, since it will wick up moisture and cause rust.

I like the fabric softener idea - seems like that would smell better than mothballs. Then also place traps near the car to get them if they are running around. When my car is done, I want to be sure to keep these little destroyers away from the car!

I live out in the country and have been lucky that I haven't had a problem with mice in my cars. Fire ants are a different story though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got some of these around to hopefully assist me with the reduction in mice population

I know Prop . . . I'm not too keen on them either, but they also help keep away the Copperheads that are poisonous . . .

yeah we have Diamondback rattlesnakes, gopher snakes, an occasional bobcat, maybe that's why we don't have much of a problem with mice/rats... we have a plethora of grey squirrels thou...

Dryer sheets work well for me over the winter.

Auto Transport Service
Back