• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keisler Automatic Overdrive Transmissions for a 70 RR

soundhd

Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 70 RR (383 Automatic). Has a 3:91 gear in it (want to keep that...fun gear). Been looking into options for installing a auto overdrive trans. Ran across the Keisler web site. Like the concept. Did a search on this sub forum and found a posting from 2009 that a member installed one.
Was wondering if anyone else has installed one of their stage 1,2 or 3 kits in a 70 B Body recently and if so how well did the install go? Any issues during and after it was all up and running?
Any info along with any photos you can post would be helpful.

thanks

I haven't done it, but the Keisler setup is essentially an electronically controlled 700R4, called a 4L60E. Keisler has taken all the pain out of using one of these transmissions in your B-body by making a custom bellhousing to keep the overall length short and a custom tailhousing to put the speedo where they want it. Overall, a very nice setup that fits in a B-body very well. I believe the only mod to your floor is a dent in the right front to clear that protruding governor. The only real problem with it is that all those custom parts cost $$$ as well as the computer and additional sensors. Expect to pay a minimum of $4k and up to get it done.

These Keisler overdrives will NOT fit in an A-body without cutting the torsion bar crossmember though, just so you know.

Someone I know tried one and his only complaints were that the transmission leaked right out of the box, and required expensive "tuning" after installation. Oh, and the controller he was sent was DOA and it took an act of God to get a replacement.

If your considering a trans swap, maybe look into this:
http://www.gearvendors.com/hrdodge3s.html

I'm keen as mustard to get one. Love the idea and no stuffing up the floor pan or hunting up scarce parts.

Thanks for pointing this out. I've heard of Gear Vendors Overdrive before, but had forgot about them. I'm going to need to swap out my 904 trans for a 727 when I get the 451 complete. I really want an overdrive without floor pan surgery. Looks like this might be the ticket. Current price shown on their website is $2795. Not cheap!

I also have a column shift which I would like to keep since I have a buddy-seat bench seat. Will this setup still work?

They also show 2 options - 8-inch tail-housing or 18-inch tail-housing and they are both the same price. Any reason why I would choose one length over the other? Which is stronger and does either pose fitment problems?

Some club cabs and motorhomes had short tailshafts. You most likely need the long one.

I have a complete built 727 with billet rollerized everything, carbon fiber bands/clutches, full manual valve body, gear vendors overdrive, trans mount, hurst pistol grip shifter, drive shaft and all cost me $7K, I'd sell for $5500.00 or $6k with the billet Coan 10" ($1100 alone...)converter. It'd be a bolt in for you.

those richmond tranny's shift really well i drove one in a brand x car one time very smooth!

california transmissions have one listed on their website. i have one of theirs in a car, brand x, and it works flawlessly.

Auto Transport Service
Back