• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kickdown valve adjustment

Ray70Chrg

Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
I'm doing normal a/t Maintenance and adjustments. Did band adjustments and I'm checking the adjustments on the valve body. I've looked at the fsm for the line pressure spring location and it's set properly and I've looked at the adjustment for the kickdown valve adjustment. I don't have the special tool of course and have read all the threads about how to work around that. I have not attempted to change anything concerning the kickdown valve. My only question about the kickdown valve is when the kickdown linkage from the carburetor is properly setup and you manually go to wot position, how far in is the kickdown valve pushed into the valve body? I would say mine is approx. 3/4 inserted. In the fsm, when doing the adjustment, the tool they use has the valve pushed all the way in. Has anyone actually looked at the valve location when the carb throttle is in the wot position and the linkage is properly set and if so what did you observe? Thanks

When your kickdown lever is fully back, the valve is firmly bottomed out. No?

When your kickdown lever is fully back, the valve is firmly bottomed out. No?
No, the kickdown valve is approx. 3/4 inserted into the valve body. Is that normal position when everything is set-up properly?

If I recall the Factory Service Manual has a detailed procedure for setting that.

When the carb is held wide open, the throttle (kickdown) lever on the trans should be almost all the way rearward. It is best for the life of the trans in that position, but you can adjust a bit from there to alter your **** points. To quote a well known member;" that is my opinion of course."

From my personal experience with stock original setups adjusted by the book, the transmission lever IS NOT all the way back at WOT. There is a little movement left, maybe 1/8" or more.

If I recall the Factory Service Manual has a detailed procedure for setting that.
Thank you for responding and I am very familiar with that adjustment, however, my original question was " has anyone actually looked, with their own 2 eyes, at the kickdown valve when the throttle is at wot and if so, was the kickdown valve fully or partially inserted in the valve body. If you haven't viewed this, please don't respond. If you have looked at the kickdown valve under this condition, I would appreciate your observation. Thanks.

From my personal experience with stock original setups adjusted by the book, the transmission lever IS NOT all the way back at WOT. There is a little movement left, maybe 1/8" or more.
Thanks for responding. When you say "the transmission lever IS NOT all the way back at WOT" do you mean the kickdown valve is not fully inserted into valve body. The transmission lever is the device that actually pushes the kickdown valve. Just hoping to be perfectly clear about the terminology.

That's the way I've done the adjust for eons...maybe 1/4" max..

Thanks for responding. When you say "the transmission lever IS NOT all the way back at WOT" do you mean the kickdown valve is not fully inserted into valve body. The transmission lever is the device that actually pushes the kickdown valve. Just hoping to be perfectly clear about the terminology.

When the lever is all the way back, the kickdown valve is bottomed against the throttle valve at the end of its bore.

KD.PNG

Auto Transport Service
Back