• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kiwi Valiant is re-born Easter 2022 . . .

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
WARNING **** Contains A-Body content.

Yep....I was out visiting my buddy Cliff yesterday, and he was in the final throws of finishing up the rebuild of his low mileage 1966 Australian Chrysler Valiant - 225 /6 and three-on-the-tree manual transmission car. I had helped him out with buying a few parts in a few years ago....new fuel tank, spare hold-down, carbonrooter etc......and we even still laugh about the video made with the engine he found for the car in a barn.

The original engine in the Valiant had suffered from age and neglect sadly, with broken rings, cracked head and poor condition block. So the donor engine came in at the right time. Cliff had to buy 5 different heads before he found a good one.....all this costs money, as a lot of the damage is not noticed until the machine shop clock has been running for a while. Anyway, that's all done, and the donor engine itself received a few new parts....and it runs so well, and sounds nice.

Here's the video from a few years ago starting up the barn find....as found, with only hooking up a few essential parts to make it run. This is a genuine first up start, not one of those doctored videos, where the engine had been run prior.....

And here is the video shot yesterday, with the car running when I turned up. We had planned to have a different video shot, as there was also another Valiant in the shop, along with my A100. Quite a full house of MoPar.

Next post will have a few photos for enjoyment. Bear in mind that Cliff has put this car back together as a daily driver and so the rebuild has not been done to Concours standards....as we might have done a few years ago. A road trip to visit another old friend is planned for the end of this month already.

20220417_132113.jpg
20220417_132119.jpg
20220417_132142.jpg
20220417_132159.jpg
20220417_132205.jpg
20220417_132212.jpg
20220417_132217.jpg
20220417_132136.jpg
20220417_132151.jpg

Although the washer fluid bottle looks like a mayonnaise jar, it is the real deal. :lol:

Opinions being sought on the mudflaps.....do they stay, or do they go....:D

She's a tight little car, and will be screaming around the block in a day or so. :steering:

For us USA guys, it always looks strange to see clutch/shifter and steering linkage on the right side of the car.
I like those shields on the outer tie rod ends.
Cool car. Thanks for the pictures and story.

Very cool! Starting the engine on the floor was hilarious... And familiar... Should be allot of fun..

Thanks Roger, I had quite a few slant sixes over the years. Who made the exhaust headers? Never seen a set like that. Sweet!
:thumbsup:

Thanks Roger, I had quite a few slant sixes over the years. Who made the exhaust headers? Never seen a set like that. Sweet!
:thumbsup:
Believe it or not....these headers are home-made. They look like a factory/shop built set....but the do work well, and are in good condition. My buddy Cliff has been watching UTG for a few pointers and tips.
Even career mechanics need a refresher sometimes. :)

Looks great Roger!! He did 1 helluva job!! Leaning Tower Of Power!! Like the side window air deflectors, early version VENT-VISORS. 1 thing though, steering and pedals on wrong side man!! :D
Video of ripping the asphault may be in order.

Looks great Roger!! He did 1 helluva job!! Leaning Tower Of Power!! Like the side window air deflectors, early version VENT-VISORS. 1 thing though, steering and pedals on wrong side man!! :D
Video of ripping the asphault may be in order.
You betcha....burnouts will be shared here. :lol:

Love it (- especially the hi-tech, industrial engineering on the barnfind engine test). Going to be a great driver.

David

That's a cream puff! What! The slant doesn't lean the other way? :poke::lol::lol:

Nice.

...but let's see the whole car.

Thanks kiwi, nice job guys.
That 1st fire up us good :thumbsup:
I am digging the headers also !

Auto Transport Service
Back