• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lap Belt Retractor

El.Padrino

Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
I have a bench seat with lap belts only.
Recently painted the retractor covers to match my interior and inserted the belt which was very hard because the retractor to the belt was a very tight fit.

I clipped the winded retractor onto the belt but I can’t figure out how the retractor would fit into the cover?
The cover opening is way too small in my opinion. I am afraid if I force the retractor into the opening the plastic cover might crack or might damage the paint.

I have attached two pics of the passenger side belt:

49F58979-3FB7-41AC-B34E-3F10FFF1F014.jpeg
5C2264A5-D66A-442B-9595-7710A24AFA86.jpeg

Kevin

Turn it around, upside down, whatever. I believe that the roller goes in the cover before the wire section. My car's covered with stuff otherwise I would check. I'm sure others will chime in.

You need to take a hairdryer and soften the rubber. Don’t get the boot too hot, just enough to make it somewhat plyable. Heat gun is too hot. It will melt the rubber for sure.

You need to take a hairdryer and soften the rubber. Don’t get the boot too hot, just enough to make it somewhat plyable. Heat gun is too hot. It will melt the rubber for sure.

That’s a good point.

But I am wondering, when extending the belt the retractor will move from its position. How is it supposed to stand still and hold in place in the plastic cover?

Do I have to place the retractor in the middle of the seat belt or all the way down (to the plastic boot) to wind up?

Yes, but maybe more toward the bottom. If it’s coming out of the boot you don’t have the winder properly installed.

Actually should come out of the boot a couple of inches.

Yes, but maybe more toward the bottom. If it’s coming out of the boot you don’t have the winder properly installed.

Actually should come out of the boot a couple of inches.

The retractor moves out a bit of the boot when extending?

Is the retractor positioned right on the seat belt as shown in on the pics of my first post? I tried to match it as shown in the owner’s manual but there’s not a lot info about this.

What year car are you working on? I checked and that’s not correct for your application. The retractor houses the winder. Sounds like the spring is broken. It’s a $10.00 fix that we can do. Of course you live in Austria so shipping is a challenge. Probably better to refurbish both.

What year car are you working on? I checked and that’s not correct for your application. The retractor houses the winder. Sounds like the spring is broken. It’s a $10.00 fix that we can do. Of course you live in Austria so shipping is a challenge. Probably better to refurbish both.

It’s a 68 Coronet. From what I know the boots are correct as well as the retractor.
Retractor is a new one and works the same as the one that came original with the car.

I’ve just never seen this assembled and working as unit. That would help me.

Auto Transport Service
Back