• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large or small alternator pulley

RT68440

Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, my '68 Charger has had the alternator replaced sometime in its life and it has a double groove pulley on it. I want to look for a single groove pulley for it to be correct, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for. I see that there is large and small diameters for sale on ebay, but I don't know what designated the size. Was it year? engine? accessories? etc. Can somebody tell me what to look for? The car is an original 440 with manual steering, No A/C, automatic trans, light group and AM radio if that helps any. Thanks!

No doubt, someone will jump in here with the info you need, but in the meantime, I'll go out into the garage, grab a service manual and see if there is anything helpful.... Sorry, I checked what materials I have and can't locate the info you require. No worries. Lots of folks here, will know the answer. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Stock earlier alts got large pulley then on late 70s earliers 80s I think they began to get smaller... being honest, smaller is WAY better and a good improvement to get more juice from alts, specially when iddling which is the major failure our Mopars got from factory... LOW CAPACITY ALTS

On a race cars, big pulleys are good to keep safe the bearings, but definitelly not on a stock or driver car, which barelly gets 3000 or 3500 rpms.

Try the smaller pulley you can find and check you'll get enough juice idling, able to keep the ammeter reading the most centered as posible and in that way you'll keep safe your charge system. No matter if your car is not highly optioned car, but trust me your car will be gratefull with a nice alt capacity ( not the factory capacity rate, definitelly )

Auto Transport Service
Back