• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Largest Tire Size on Stock GTX

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
I'm sure this question, or one like it, has been asked many times. I'm getting ready to install the Diamondback Redlines on my GTX on the factory 15" steel wheels. However, I am also considering buying some different wheels to have as an alternative for the car (like Magnums or Torq Thrusts). What is the largest tire size that can generally fit under the rear of a stock GTX? And is there a smaller tire size limit for the fronts? Would appreciate any insights. Thanks.

I’ve seen a 295/50/15 on the rear of a 68 GTX. Tight fit for sure.

My 69 Hemi X. 275X60X15.

oldmopar3.jpg

I have had 10.5x28 slicks on my 69 runner (but it does have rolled wheel lips). Essentially the same as a 295/55x15. (M/T makes a drag radials that size) They were on a 15x8.5 centerline with 4 7/8 bs. The backspace HAS to be right to get the "most" tire under any car.
Frankly, I think 275/60x15 on an 8", 4.5 bs combo is the golden child.

I can't read the tire size too good because it was scraped off on my friends GTX but be careful I think these were 235/50/15 You can barely make out the numbers on the top right of the tire. These were just put on the car and driven a mile to his house. This is a 10 inch wide rim.

DERV8319.JPEG

I can't read the tire size too good because it was scraped off on my friends GTX but be careful I think these were 235/50/15 You can barely make out the numbers on the top right of the tire. These were just put on the car and driven a mile to his house. This is a 10 inch wide rim.

View attachment 1259418
In my humble opinion.... a 10"rim can work on a 68-70 bee, because of the more open wheelwell. I DONT think a 10 works on a rr/gtx. It's simply too big.
That tire that he just cut up MIGHT have worked fine on the right 8/8.5 rim.

In my humble opinion.... a 10"rim can work on a 68-70 bee, because of the more open wheelwell. I DONT think a 10 works on a rr/gtx. It's simply too big.
That tire that he just cut up MIGHT have worked fine on the right 8/8.5 rim.
I thought the 10 inch wheel was overkill anyhow. I think they look a little odd with the deep dish area.

Perhaps a picture of Fred is in order.
10-12-18 heritage days.jpg

15x7 Magnum 500's up front, 15x8 rears. 225/70 and 275/60 tires....
There's about enough room to sneak your fingers up between tire and fender in the rear.
IMO a 10" wide rim with the same tire just looks goofy.

28 x 12.5 15LT These on a 10" wheel with 5-1/2" backspacing will clear everything

I ran 295/50/15 on 15x10 wheels with 5.5" backspacing on my '69 Sport Satellite for several years. It was very tight but would only occasionally rub just barely at the top of the wheel well where it comes in some.

Auto Transport Service
Back