• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Largest tire/wheel combo for 'Dobas

d9103365

Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
Ok, tire and wheel issues are frequently addressed on this site, but I've found nothing that specifically addresses late B-Bodies. Although I'd like to think that what fits older b's would fit the later ones...I'm not entirely sure. So here goes. Let me state first that I'm not interested in anything taller than 15'' wheels. When u go taller than that things start to get really complicated, and I like the "traditional" look with raised white letters, which are virtually unavailable in anything bigger than 15".

The largest tire/wheel combination known to exist on a late B-body with 15" wheels is:
15x7, with 255/60R15. Front AND back.

I have heard second hand that 15x8's will also fit with the same tires and a 4.5 inch backspacing (front AND back). I haven't seen this combo myself but I feel confident it would work. If anyone is doubtful please let me know.

Now, I personally believe that with 15x8 wheels with 4.5 inch BS, that I could go to a 275/60R15 on the rear. I get a very mixed response from people when I bring this up. Does anyone know for sure? 6 months of internet research and 20 tire shops have not given me the answer yet. I was about to totally give up on 275's until I saw a 73 RR on this site that had them, with 15x8s and only a BS 3.75". Those cars look like the rear wheel wells are bigger than ours though..but that could be just the way it looks.

I want 275's dammit!

This is an easy one: I've had 15x8's, I beleive the backspacing is 4.5 but don't remember for sure, with BFG 275's on the rear of my Cordoba for almost 5 years. The only problem I had was because the springs had sagged (they have since been rebuilt) and the tires rubbed slightly.

I've got 225's on 15x7's on the front.

Shouldnt be any problem for a 275 mm tire. I know you said nothing larger that 15", but here's what I've got.....
S5300006a.gif

Those are 265/60 16s on 16x8 rims with 4" of BS. Heres the other side (I guess I COULD have closed the door)...
S5300011a.jpg

There's plenty of room inboard which leads me to believe that a 15x8 with 4.5" of BS should fit with 0 problems.
Those are 245/60 15s up front, but 255s on 15x8s whould have fit, and I think looked better....

I've got the 255/60R15 on the back and 225's on the front. Back end also has air shocks to give a little extra lift so I have plenty of clearance. I'm sure I could get 275's on my rear.

This is an easy one: I've had 15x8's, I beleive the backspacing is 4.5 but don't remember for sure, with BFG 275's on the rear of my Cordoba for almost 5 years. The only problem I had was because the springs had sagged (they have since been rebuilt) and the tires rubbed slightly.

I've got 225's on 15x7's on the front.

I'd really like to see a pic of your car with those 275's...preferably a closeup of the rear tires if you have it.

I'd really like to see a pic of your car with those 275's...preferably a closeup of the rear tires if you have it.

I don't have a well lit one from the right angle, I'll try top get a couple this weekend and post them.

Shouldnt be any problem for a 275 mm tire. I know you said nothing larger that 15", but here's what I've got.....
S5300006a.gif

Those are 265/60 16s on 16x8 rims with 4" of BS. Heres the other side (I guess I COULD have closed the door)...
S5300011a.jpg

There's plenty of room inboard which leads me to believe that a 15x8 with 4.5" of BS should fit with 0 problems.
Those are 245/60 15s up front, but 255s on 15x8s whould have fit, and I think looked better....

Damn that Doba has a nice stance

Thanks, 306Doba. I just wanted to show that you CAN tuck a pretty big tire up in the rear wheelwells without rubbing. No need to resort to a full-on, ***-in-the-breeze, tires sticking out stinkbug stance, as some people call it. Unless you like it like that. Then, by all means...
Bad cellphone pic...
0618091637a1.jpg

Sorry, I finally got some good pics and can't get them to load, I'll post them as soon as I figure it out.

Oh...I don't think wer'e thread-jacking, d903365 and I had this same conversation once before...http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1289875559&user=cordobaclubusa

That pretty much covered the wheel/tire thing.
I removed 3 leafs (of 6) from each side and used 1 3/4" blocks, which are actually 3" blocks that I ripped an inch and a quarter off of. I chopped the living **** out of the iso-clamp bracket-things, basically cut off all the vertical and made them into "plates", and welded in a washer to locate the leaf springs. During this litte rehash I replaced the rear spring-eye bushings and u-bolts. I made it too low on purpose, so I could use air shocks to raise it up to the desired ride height, which is only a couple of inches over fully-deflated. That way the leaf springs take over during any significant suspension travel. It's the same principle as AirRide's Shockwave setup. Also, after I did all this garage engineering, FirmFeel now offers pretty much the exact same setup as a bolt-on deal, minus the hinky air shocks. For good measure I drove some bolts into the holes in the oval front spring bushing. It's supposed to firm things up somewhat. With all that bizness done I still keep the factory sway bar, which was kind of the point in the first place.
Front is stock, lowered, maybe, 2". It was a bit lower before but came up some when I ditched the a/c and a some other heavy underhood bits.
There's another thread about air shocks here...http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=21832&highlight=air+shocks
This isn't a hi-performance setup. This car is just a cruiser/driver. It corners nice and flat, though, and doesn't ride rough or bounce as some lowered cars do.

New Wheels!

Ok, well I decided to take the plunge! After tons of research I decided to go with the following:

15x8 Magnum 500's all around, 4.5 inch backspace
255/60R15's on the front
275/60R15's on the back.

The pictures below show the results. My car is all stock...no suspension mods or fender lip rolling. I can't tell you how long it too for me to determine the largest available wheel combo that would fit....almost every shop in town told me that these tires would be too big...especially the 275's...and they fit nicely with plenty of clearance. :headbang:

Attachments

• DSCN1668.jpg
    DSCN1668.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • DSCN1666.jpg
    DSCN1666.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,098
Nice! Congratulations on your new wheels and tires, they look great. Put up some more pics from different angles.
I usually buy my rolling stock from different vendors and then take everything to get mounted because the tire shop geniuses ALWAYS say it won't fit. I spend a month rolling around on the garage floor with a tape measure and they think they know better than me what will fit...NOT.
Anyway, nice choice on the magnum 500s. Very unique, I don't see many Cordobas with those. I like.

Ok, well I decided to take the plunge! After tons of research I decided to go with the following:

15x8 Magnum 500's all around, 4.5 inch backspace
255/60R15's on the front
275/60R15's on the back.

The pictures below show the results. My car is all stock...no suspension mods or fender lip rolling. I can't tell you how long it too for me to determine the largest available wheel combo that would fit....almost every shop in town told me that these tires would be too big...especially the 275's...and they fit nicely with plenty of clearance. :headbang:
Those look great, nice lookin Cordoba.

p1010324lg.jpg

285/40ZR18 18x10s with 5" bs. Fit fine, but I would've liked 5.5" better, still room for larger.

I know for a fact that 15x8 wheels with a 275/60/15 WILL fit. I've had 275's up front without issue as well

Auto Transport Service
Back