• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Last Days for Bonita?

The first vet, in his defense, was the person who first noticed the lump on the head and he said he was very concerned about the finding. When he pointed it out to me, I ran my hand over the same area/lump and I actually did not feel anything there at all. We just did not discuss the next step, thinking if it was a tumor that another day or two would not be critical to look into it further.

Anyway, so far she is making steady progress recuperating.

I had a similar case with my dog Giggles, she's always been constipated, about six or seven years ago, she stop popping for five days , the first vet diagnosed her with a condition that requires immediate surgery, I say yes ok let's go but she may die in the op room, I consult another vet and first of all said calm down, let's use a light laxative and an enema, that works in 30 minutes she poop, turns out she eat this crust like wood used like manure or something, so literally she have a cork plug, I canceled the surgery obviously, and the first vet got angry and told me my dog is going to die, my answer was **** you what a lack of integrity and respect for me and my dog, many years later I use the same recipe on her every time she is constipated, and check every day for poop.

Health update--Second opinion female veterinarian Dr. Isis really went to work this morning:

Some results came back for the blood analysis which appear to be near normal. Some other results are pending. X-ray of skull found the mass not to be solid, but a built-up of liquid due to an infection from an unknown source. The infection was also found inside her mouth. The patient received a general anesthesia and the site of the malady was opened and drained. Two antibiotics were prescribed and the mandatory cone-head thing will need to be worn for a week or two. Next appointment in 7 days. If the pending lab results discover something new, the current antibiotics may be changed.

I thank my fellow Mopar brethren for you advice and concern. It was definitely the way to go with a second opinion.
great news :thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks for the update :bananadance:

So sorry to hear this as I pray she is ok. I know I love my three dogs as family as thats what they are to me. Ron

Not what your going to want to hear

But we had a yellow lab that had a growth pop up in a matter of days on his right rear ankle.

Took him to the vet and diagnosis was bone cancer. With his age and already having hip issues amputation was not a viable option.

Vet told us best to just keep him comfortable. When the time came we would know.

Took about 2 or 3 months and it became very apparent quickly. He was 13

There isnt hardly a day goes by i dont think about him. And that was about 8 years ago now. We had to put his partner down this past spring. A black lab,,,she was almost 18 . a LOOOOONG time for a Lab .

Not what your going to want to hear

But we had a yellow lab that had a growth pop up in a matter of days on his right rear ankle.

Took him to the vet and diagnosis was bone cancer. With his age and already having hip issues amputation was not a viable option.

Vet told us best to just keep him comfortable. When the time came we would know.

Took about 2 or 3 months and it became very apparent quickly. He was 13

There isnt hardly a day goes by i dont think about him. And that was about 8 years ago now. We had to put his partner down this past spring. A black lab,,,she was almost 18 . a LOOOOONG time for a Lab .

I had a Yellow Lab I lost almost 3 years ago when she was 12-1/2 and her hips gave out. I also think about her everyday even though I have 3 dogs now that I love so much. But she was a special girl who loved everyone and was such a sweet loving Lab. I still miss her a ton. Ron

Our last boxer, Big Earl, had a long history of health problems before we finally had to put him down.

Everything from pulling bad teeth, to tumors and arthritis. Fortunately we found a great vet for him. That makes a big difference. In the end he had a massive growth around his lungs.

One thing we did that seemed to improve things for him was put him on a raw meat diet.

Our last boxer, Big Earl, had a long history of health problems before we finally had to put him down.

Everything from pulling bad teeth, to tumors and arthritis. Fortunately we found a great vet for him. That makes a big difference. In the end he had a massive growth around his lungs.

One thing we did that seemed to improve things for him was put him on a raw meat diet.

I had 2 Boxers when growing up and loved them both as they were great dogs. Later after I married we got a yellow Lab and she was such a sweetheart. But Labs and Boxers are my favorite breeds now. Ron

Bonita has been acting very difficult when it's medicine time. At first, it took two of us with her fighting all the way. However, last night after 10 days (twice a day) of struggling at medicine time, it was a different story.

As soon as the soccer game ended (USA beat Mexico 2-0), I took the medicine out of the fridge. When Bonita saw me preparing the medicine, she jumped off her bed and walked over to my chair without me having to call her. I picked her up and put her on her back on my lap. When I picked up the medicine and put it in front of her eyes and over her head, she opened her mouth! Then I squeezed the medicine out and she swallowed it without a fuss. Very easy when she cooperates and does not fight. Amazing.

Another easy medicine dose today. This AM as soon as I took the bottle of anti-biotic from the fridge and set it on the table, Bonita walked over, sat down alongside the plastic chair, and offered her right paw in order to shake hands. I filled the plastic syringe to the proper dosage level. Then I picked Bonita up and placed her on her back on my lap. I grabbed the medication and put it in front of her mouth. She opened her mouth and took her medicine like a good girl. If I didn't know better, I would say she likes it (now).

Sutures are scheduled to be removed on Monday.

IMG_0199.jpg

I cut the cone down a few inches so it's easier for both the dog and me. Her for eating and sleeping and me because I feel bad that she had to wear it.

I was tempted to cut the cone down also, but before I could bring myself to do it, the doggy figured out how to eat/drink with some plastic bowls we tried out.

Bonita has been acting very difficult when it's medicine time. At first, it took two of us with her fighting all the way. However, last night after 10 days (twice a day) of struggling at medicine time, it was a different story.

As soon as the soccer game ended (USA beat Mexico 2-0), I took the medicine out of the fridge. When Bonita saw me preparing the medicine, she jumped off her bed and walked over to my chair without me having to call her. I picked her up and put her on her back on my lap. When I picked up the medicine and put it in front of her eyes and over her head, she opened her mouth! Then I squeezed the medicine out and she swallowed it without a fuss. Very easy when she cooperates and does not fight. Amazing.

Another easy medicine dose today. This AM as soon as I took the bottle of anti-biotic from the fridge and set it on the table, Bonita walked over, sat down alongside the plastic chair, and offered her right paw in order to shake hands. I filled the plastic syringe to the proper dosage level. Then I picked Bonita up and placed her on her back on my lap. I grabbed the medication and put it in front of her mouth. She opened her mouth and took her medicine like a good girl. If I didn't know better, I would say she likes it (now).

Sutures are scheduled to be removed on Monday.

View attachment 1192990

Glad Bonita is still improving. Animals have a way of simply accepting new realities without complaining.

When our cat Zoe was diagnosed with cancer around 6 years ago, we ended up giving her chemotherapy. Of course, she didn't like getting a big pill shoved down her throat, but we always praised her and gave her a special treat afterwards. She had to get the treatments for a long time, and soon she began jumping up on on her stand to get her pill when it was time. Sometimes she meowed a sad little meow to let us know she didn't like it, but she did it all without fuss. I am happy to say the cancer went into remission and she is still with us. However, just the other day he started showing some potential signs of kidney failure. I hope we can still be blessed by her presence for a while longer; we will have to see what happens. It will be a really tough day the day we lose her - that 7 pound ball of fur is pretty special to me...
20211113_135439.jpg

Update: That ugly scab from the surgery has been replaced by some pink skin and a little fuzz, she got a bath today (by the look on her face, I think she might be holding that against me).

That dark spot behind her ear in the first photo is unrelated from the swelling on her forehead; it is from a tiny pink growth that oozes a liquid and collects dirt.

IMG_0299.jpg IMG_0300.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back