• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lead pipes

Denham

Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Okay guys. I have a 1967 Coronet R/T. 440 engine and headers. I purchased a set of the factory HP exhaust manifolds for my car. I want to know where I can buy just the lead pipe with a H or X in it. I don’t need from the mufflers back. And which one sound and the best. X or H
Thanks

Okay guys. I have a 1967 Coronet R/T. 440 engine and headers. I purchased a set of the factory HP exhaust manifolds for my car. I want to know where I can buy just the lead pipe with a H or X in it. I don’t need from the mufflers back. And which one sound and the best. X or H
Thanks
I think you are asking about the head pipe. If so, there are thousands of opinions as to H or X pipe.

Thanks
I think you are asking about the head pipe. If so, there are thousands of opinions as to H or X pipe.

Don't know which one sounds the best but the 'X' is supposed to produce a bit more power. Never used either one but have heard some say even a single exhaust works well with the lower horsepower engines so long as the merge is good. Most stock single exhaust systems have a lousy merge. I've also heard that a more of a flatter X does better than the stuff that's out there for sale. Again, I've never seen any dyno numbers to prove it. Also sound is in the 'ears' of the beholder. I've been running straight pipes since the 70's.....

give TTI the casting numbers off your manifolds and they will make you correct head pipes and either an H or an X pipe. which ever you chose. I personally prefer H or nothing.

Auto Transport Service
Back