• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Spring Clamps

Charlie Brown

Local time
10:27 PM
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the purpose of those leaf spring clamps and If I need them. I currently don't have any on my 64 Polara. If they are necessary, where should they be located.
Charlie

Do I need them at each layer?
It really depends on how much power you're putting down and what you want out of the car.

If you're making some steam and/or need it to hook better during "spirited" driving and quick get-offs from the stoplights, try a clamp at every segment overlap forward of the axle. The idea is that the front spring segments become more "solid" when the housing tries to rotate upward under power. If you clamp them and still need more help, you can remove the clamps off the rear segments. Pinion angle becomes more important at this point. It's the old 'backyard' way to get some increased traction before going to the next level (shelling out the dough for SS springs, bars, expensive shocks, etc) but clamping has it's limits.
If you aren't worried much about drag-type traction besides an occasional quick romp you probably don't need to mess with them as it will stiffen the ride somewhat.

It really depends on how much power you're putting down and what you want out of the car.

If you're making some steam and/or need it to hook better during "spirited" driving and quick get-offs from the stoplights, try a clamp at every segment overlap forward of the axle. The idea is that the front spring segments become more "solid" when the housing tries to rotate upward under power. If you clamp them and still need more help, you can remove the clamps off the rear segments. Pinion angle becomes more important at this point. It's the old 'backyard' way to get some increased traction before going to the next level (shelling out the dough for SS springs, bars, expensive shocks, etc) but clamping has it's limits.
If you aren't worried much about drag-type traction besides an occasional quick romp you probably don't need to mess with them as it will stiffen the ride somewhat.
Great explanation. Thanks.

There was probably an engineering reason for the clamps on the rear of the spring - possibly to control axle hop on hard braking. Just speculating.

As already explained there are purpose behind them for factory and performance applications. As far as factory they were not a "tight " clamp they were made more for a happy medium of ride, comfort and performance. In all situations its to prevent excessive leaf seperation during different conditions.

Even if its strictly a street cruiser I would still put a 2 factory style clamps on each side .

Now the question is what was there stock for that spring? You can tell by looking at the bottom of the spring for markings where the clamp was, also for the clamp locator holes are. Mine are a older set of SS springs ordered for a different car long ago. Took time to find pictures where they went and when it was time to start found out that the spring clamps had a nub, that fits in the hole on the spring. Also was where I had found to locate them. Pictures will help, blue tape next to the spring hole.

IMG_0795.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back