• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Spring Relocation

Habib

Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
Does moving the Leaf Springs inside the Frame rails Affect Drivabillity at all on the street? Ride Quality?

No. Not as long as is done right.
Support the back of the car. After I got my roadrunner sitting level on jack stands I welded angle to my frame that went from the floor up before I cut anything.
You don't want the frame to twist when you cut it.

Not at all. get the proper alignment, spring eye location & you're good to go. My Satellite does just fine on the street with springs moved in. No difference I can tell. But of course I'm not doing any road race moves.

My 62 Belvedere drives and handles fine on the street with the rear springs moved inward to the main unit-body subframes. Would not know it was done to drive the car. Gives you 3 1/2" of additional rear tire width area on each side. A side note; If your running full exhaust system tail pipes you will have to rework them as the springs will be close to the gas tank on each side. No room for the tailpipes next to the tank.

My 62 Belvedere drives and handles fine on the street with the rear springs moved inward to the main unit-body subframes. Would not know it was done to drive the car. Gives you 3 1/2" of additional rear tire width area on each side. A side note; If your running full exhaust system tail pipes you will have to rework them as the springs will be close to the gas tank on each side. No room for the tailpipes next to the tank.

Are you saying you moved the springs inside the frame or inside the rails (beside the frame on the inside)?
I have always wondered if this was a viable option to cutting the rails to mount the springs.

Cut the frame rails & make use of the strength of the stock frame. Moving inside could start to create instability, but maybe not. The springs in the frame rail will drive just great.

When I did the relocation on my 73 bird I centered the spring housing on my frame and thought all was good. Then I did the mini tub and realized I could have gained another 1/2 of clearance if I put that housing flush to the frame on the outside (in the wheel well) bit then I realized that I could just cut off about an inch of it and my 33 x 19.5 x 15s fit perfectly.

Here are a few photos of the rt rear spring mounting. This work was done in the 1960s. The car has since been updated to CalTrak rear suspension with mono-leaf split springs. The stock multi leaf super stock or stock springs will still fit. It does lift the rear height of the car slightly. Comes out of the hole really well.
P1010384-1.jpg
P1010382-1.jpg P1010383-1.jpg

Habib, the springs used can create a stiffness or harshness. Other than that, the few inches the springs are moved are not an issue.

My solution to the tailpipe problem: Moved them above mono-leaf and outboard: Don't even notice the difference in location.

New rear end 008.JPG New rear end 012.JPG

FYI, my Satellite has the springs moved in, works just fine on the street. Plus the wider tires (325x50x15R) sure help too.

Auto Transport Service
Back