• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Spring/ride height question...

66_B_Body4ever

Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
So I am finally back to working on my 66 Belvy. I have to make some decisions in regards to my rear suspension. The car is mini-tubbed, have relocated the leaf spring mounting areas inboard and the car retains the stock rear frame rails. My question is about leaf spring selection and ride height.
I wish to achieve the ride height (rim to wheel opening relationship in truth @ rear) of the Red 66 I have pic's of shown below... This car is a 4 link car (not mine) but has in my opinion the perfect stance, can anyone help me out with leaf spring selection that will give me this ride height? I want to order a set asap... The car will be a street cruiser with the odd trip down the 1/4 mile.

Oh, and if you have purchased a pair lately, who from and how much?
Please feel free to post pics of your combinations....Thanks.

Attachments

• red Belvy.jpg
    red Belvy.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 703
  • Red Belvy2.jpg
    Red Belvy2.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
I like that too but would like my front end to up maybe another inch. It's kinda hard to order springs for exactly what you want. That car looks like it's at about stock ride height based on where the wheel is located. The large tires make it seem higher. Here's mine. The springs on it were old and flat so I threw on some air shockes (with a separate line kit) to raise it about 1" and clamped the front segment. If you get springs that are a bit too high, you can always install lowering blocks. I've made them from solid blocks of aluminum starting at 1/2" to 4". Don't pay attention to the dirt and dullness....it was a daily driver.
scan0005.jpg

I thought of using lowering blocks if necessary, would that have an effect on spring wrap up? Your Belvedere looks pretty sound Cranky!

Along the same lines.....I'm thinking about mini tubbing a 67 and moving the springs inboard also. I haven't looked into it much yet, but was wondering if there would still be room to run the exhaust all the way out back while maintaining the factory gas tank...or will the relocated springs pretty much occupy the space where the pipes would go?

Here are some pictures of my 66 Hemi car. All is stock, no tubs or springs move. It has the factory Hemi rear springs, no lowering blocks, etc.
These are 255/60X15 drag radials on 7" wide rims.

Attachments

• HEMI TIRES.jpg
    HEMI TIRES.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 558
  • HEMI TIRES2.jpg
    HEMI TIRES2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 565
Here are a couple of side shots.

Attachments

• 66HEMI2.jpg
    66HEMI2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 551
  • 66HEMI6.jpg
    66HEMI6.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 517
Thanks 696pack, very nice car... that's the height/rim to 1/4 relationship I want, I just don't want to order the wrong springs. I will try and find a set. And that's the next gamble, finding a manufacturer...

I thought of using lowering blocks if necessary, would that have an effect on spring wrap up? Your Belvedere looks pretty sound Cranky!
I played with a 67 383 4 speed Coronet in the 70's using 4" blocks and it did fine. I expected wheel hop too but never experienced any with it. Man, I did all kinds of crazy stuff with that car lol. Wish I still had it but who knew! Yeah, the Belvedere is surprisingly solid. There's one small area behind the rear wheel. Hard to notice in the pic and there's some in the left rear seat foot well. Looks like someone turned a battery over because it's perforated in that area. The car has factory ac and came with rubber floor mats and those were usually bad news for ac cars and the floors are perfect everywhere except that one spot. Even the spare tire well was good.

Along the same lines.....I'm thinking about mini tubbing a 67 and moving the springs inboard also. I haven't looked into it much yet, but was wondering if there would still be room to run the exhaust all the way out back while maintaining the factory gas tank...or will the relocated springs pretty much occupy the space where the pipes would go?
If you relocate your springs into the rails, you will have no problem but if you relocate them inside the rails, things will get pretty tight.

Summit has Mopar Performance springs (HD) for 104.00 a side, anyone use these? These are quoted as being correct for 440/Hemi cars... anyone use these?

Summit has Mopar Performance springs (HD) for 104.00 a side, anyone use these? These are quoted as being correct for 440/Hemi cars... anyone use these?

Unless they have made some serious changes don't buy them. Everyone that I have ever heard from says they are way too weak.

ESPO seems to be the preferred spring company.

I got a set with a Dana 60 I bought from a guy here in OKC. Haven't installed then yet, but seems pretty heavy duty. I find out in a month or so when I get the car back from paint.

Are HD springs and Hemi springs the same thing? I am building a 66' Satellite and want to replace the springs. It will mainly be a driver with the ocassional drag strip blast. I have a 7/8" swaybar for the rear also. I am leaning toward HD springs, rancho 9000 shocks(99118), aluminum front bushing, adjustable pinion snubber, new rear shackles, and shims to adjust pinion angle. Does this sound like I am on the right track?

Auto Transport Service
Back