• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Spring setup - Adco Sliders vs stock shackles?

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I almost have my suspension all finished the way I want it, but I've read a few articles about the benefits of replacing the stock leaf spring shackles with sliders made by Adco. Anybody have an opinion on this with pros and cons? My car is 99% street driven, but if they will work on the street just fine and also benefit me when I eventually get to the track, then maybe they're worth trying out?

My current leafs are Hotchkis and make the rear of the car sit about 1" lower than stock. (I keep thinking I should have went for the Calvert Monoleafs due to ride hight stance)

Hmmmm....no replies yet, so I looked at some other mopar forum sites and came across some info from others on my own. I hope it's OK if I post this here for you all to read and provide feedback. Read this and let me know your verdict. Since my car is not going to be an autocross car and is meant to be a well handling street car with once a year trips to the drag strip since it's a 2hr drive for me, I'm thinking I should stick with the stock shackles.

Agree or disagree?

According to an Afco white paper:

"The angle of the shackle can stiffen or soften a spring's normal rate. The AFCO leaf spring sliders eliminate the up and down movement of the rear spring eye caused by shackles moving through their arcs during suspension travel. Consequently, the rear suspension's loading points displace less during suspension movement. Sliders, depending on their installed angle, generally reduce the shackle effect and provide more consistent spring rates than shackles. . . Since sliders are usually more rigid than shackles, they have less tendency to bind laterally during cornering. In general, sliders improve the handling consistency and predictability of leaf spring equipped race cars."

From Moparts forum:
It allows it to sit 1/2 to 3/4" lower in the rear which is what I wanted. Only difference I noticed is on the street they pop at times when I turn sharp but I have a Dana with a spool. If you install them make sure to have the slide bolt set 3/4 of the way to the rear with the weight of the car on them or they will bottom out during the launch as the spring arches.

The sliders were designed for circle track cars so I really dont see how they are a gimmick

I'm not sure how long the slot is in these sliders are, but if they ever bottom out the slot during chassis rise, the spring becomes solid and will unload the rear tire, much like having rear shocks that are too short.

The slot is around 4 inches,maybe longer, I think. Mine have never bottomed out on compression or rise.

This is true but this is also where good shocks come
in to play. The reason I dont care for sliders is
that if they get dirt and crap into them they can
and will bind up throwing the chassis off

I have them in my car

Put them in this year

Didn't notice any difference other then lowering the car in the rear

Sliders may help in some combos, and are high techno looking. But shackles really work just fine, IMO and are also better in some/Most combos. But there are the exceptions!

Me talking again - hope to hear from anyone else, especially if they've installed AFCO sliders and wish they hadn't.

I would think it's a good upgrade, Your eliminating two sets of bushings that could allow sideways slop or swish, Installed correctly I cant see sliders bottoming out, Could add a little more road noise to your ride but I think the improvement would outweigh that.
On the other hand simply installing a beefier set of Shackels with new bushings coud also achieve a dramatic improvenent over a tired set of leaf bushing, and comparing both shackels and slides in a new instalation may be difficult to see/feel the difference.

I'm planning a full Hotchkis setup, I've built a good solid foundation with XV motorsports bracing Fr/Rr Torque boxes ,Subframe connectors and Firm Feel LCA kit with Poly spindle bushings and a K member weldup. I'll be Installing the AFCO Sliders as well as toeing in the rear Leafs towards the front for better sideways Swish control.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the feedback. You gave me some good info to think about. When you get your sliders installed please post an update on how you like them. I think you're right, at the very least I should install new shackles and maybe even go with sliders. My current shackles and bushings are the originals...

I gotta admit, you all got me checking into this setup. I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more. Maybe some pics?

Hotchkis sells a nice set of replacement shackles. I just ordered a set and will let you know how the difference feels from my tired originals after I get them installed.

Here's the description from the Hotchkis website:

"Replace those old, bent, rusty shackles on your Mopar with some Heavy Duty Shackles from Hotchkis Sport Suspension. These shackles are made from .250" steel and are finished in gloss black powder coat. Whats really cool about these shackles is the design. The bolts are specially machined by Hotchkis, as direct copies of the original shackle bolts, consisting of a large machined shoulder that acts as the bushing sleeve and is machined down to lock the opposite shackle plate in position. Many other aftermarket shackles on the market use a bushing sleeve and a smaller bolt to achieve this which reduces strength. The kit includes grade 8 hardware, nylock nuts, polyurethane bushings, and grease.

This kit contains 1" leaf spring bushings which are commonly used on many Dodge, Plymouth applications. Please ensure your car has 1" bushings. These are a perfect upgrade to your Hotchkis Leaf Springs for the B&E Body Cars."

Still haven't received my shackles from Hotchkis yet. They make some good items, but 3 of the 4 times I've ordered something from them, the items were on backorder. I called today and the whole office is shut down because they drove to the Mopar Nationals show in Vegas. They've got great customer service though. Guess I'll have to wait at least another week...

Used them on Late Model dirt track cars. They DO NOT BIND WITH DIRT! They worked VERY well if your looking to free up the rear end and provide a constant rate on your suspension. They can be used with Hybrid Mono-leaf / coil over suspension, or standard leaf spring and works great with both! If you put them in straight, you'll notice a hell of a differance when you go to the back of your car ang give it a good shove downwards. It is a very smooth action unlike typical shackle bind. If it didn't work this way, they wouldn't be used on vehicles that demand perfection within the suspension when using leaf type springs.

Speeking from experiance!

Used them on Late Model dirt track cars. They DO NOT BIND WITH DIRT! They worked VERY well if your looking to free up the rear end and provide a constant rate on your suspension. They can be used with Hybrid Mono-leaf / coil over suspension, or standard leaf spring and works great with both! If you put them in straight, you'll notice a hell of a differance when you go to the back of your car ang give it a good shove downwards. It is a very smooth action unlike typical shackle bind. If it didn't work this way, they wouldn't be used on vehicles that demand perfection within the suspension when using leaf type springs.

Speeking from experiance!

It's good to hear from someone experienced with the sliders! So do you think for a street car that only sees the 1/4 mile track once or twice a year that I would be just as happy with them as with replacement shackles? If so, is there anything different about the adjusted angle during installation for proper thrust angle, etc.?

It's good to hear from someone experienced with the sliders! So do you think for a street car that only sees the 1/4 mile track once or twice a year that I would be just as happy with them as with replacement shackles? If so, is there anything different about the adjusted angle during installation for proper thrust angle, etc.?

They just need to run parallel with eachother and inline with the front spring mounts. You should set your pinion angle the same as you would with any standard leaf spring setup.
I would think in your application you would want them located in the same spot as your shackles.
if you have time to wait, I suggest going to your local dirt track this spring and find a car running this setup, and give the rear a good shove downward.
See what ya think of the smooth travel!

Hmmmm?

Screenshot_20220613-090826_Gallery.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back