• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Springs- worn out?

Baller

Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm at the point where I'm going to clean up my leaf springs while the rear is out at a shop. Just for fun, I flipped them with the eyes on the shop floor. i stood on each one and measured the deflection. The right spring deflected 1" while the left deflected 1.5". I weigh about 190lb. I never noted that the car sat low or anything.

So, the question is, how do we determine if the springs are bagged and should be replaced or re-arched?

Hey everyone. I'm at the point where I'm going to clean up my leaf springs while the rear is out at a shop. Just for fun, I flipped them with the eyes on the shop floor. i stood on each one and measured the deflection. The right spring deflected 1" while the left deflected 1.5". I weigh about 190lb. I never noted that the car sat low or anything.

So, the question is, how do we determine if the springs are bagged and should be replaced or re-arched?
Those numbers do not raise any concern IMHO.....my last original set flattened when I stood in them and I weigh 210......

Thanks '74, that's what I was thinking. Your build thread is incredible BTW. I spent numerous evenings over the last few weeks going through it. Should be made into a book; way better than the 68-70 B-body restoration guide I bought.

Thanks '74, that's what I was thinking. Your build thread is incredible BTW. I spent numerous evenings over the last few weeks going through it. Should be made into a book; way better than the 68-70 B-body restoration guide I bought.
Thanks my friend! Much appreciate the compliments and glad my thread helps.
:thumbsup:

I would expect the left side spring to deflect more with the same weight applied. Right spring should be somewhat stiffer to account for rear axle torque reaction. Does the ride height fit your expectations?

I would expect the left side spring to deflect more with the same weight applied. Right spring should be somewhat stiffer to account for rear axle torque reaction. Does the ride height fit your expectations?

Hard to say as the old air shocks were bagged. I'll clean them up and slap them back on; I need to be doing some burnouts with the kids this summer.

Auto Transport Service
Back