• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Springs?

Joel Talka

Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
Hello again;

Question on leaf springs... The ones in my '66 are original.. The car leans left and sags in the rear. Back in the "old days" there were guys out there who would rebuild them and add leafs if you wanted. Looking around I see replacement springs and rebuilding kits. The question is which is the best way to go with this? Aside from making the car level in the rear I'm looking for more height as well....

Thanks again!

Most of us buy from ESPO springs and things, or Eaton Detroit Springs.
They can build to what you want as far as + ride height or - and stiffness too.
Check out their web.

Most of us buy from ESPO springs and things, or Eaton Detroit Springs.
They can build to what you want as far as + ride height or - and stiffness too.
Check out their web.
X2 for ESPO

Back in the "old days" there were guys out there who would rebuild them and add leafs if you wanted.
Around here there still are shops that'll do that (usually they do heavy truck springs) but I found that fix is temporary and no real control on the final height. I had to add blocks to lower them afterwards.

I had a local (Akron) guy re-arch mine. It's probably temporary, but they're good for now.

Thanks guys, I will check them both out... will probably go the new route. Much appreciated!!
I put a set of Espo's on 10 years ago. They settled a little bit but may be a 1/2". They were even 5 leaf and not 6 leaf like came on the car. (15" tires do help the look. but the middle photo was 14's.)

035.jpg Dart dance and cookies motor 003.jpg 2.20.22c.jpg

Eaton springs on my 63 2'' drop and 100 lbs increase.
IMG_2968.jpg
IMG_2966.jpg

The 100 lbs increase make the ride height look factory. Trunk was empty.

Thanks for the pictures....both cars look great.. The plan is to go with the ESPO's.. 6 full leaves +1" on ride height. The front already has the larger .88" torsion bars so hopefully we will be good to go...

Auto Transport Service
Back